Posted to uk.d-i-y
Robin Robin is offline

Default winter heating allowance

Never really understood these 'targeted' benefits. Surely most pay their
energy bills monthly these days? So simply increasing the OAP by the total
cost of the WHA would make more sense.

I think the thinking is that a monthly trickle does not have the same
impact as a lump sum once a year when old people are most likely to
worry about heating costs (in the run up to Christmas).

And FWIW I think that thinking is well-thunk. Bear in mind not all old
people have monthly bills paid by DD. I know some who still write a
cheque once a quarter. And that's despite some having caring family
members who have tried hard to get them to let them do it all online.

--
Robin