Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Rotary burr walking out of collet

I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

Is there an alternative system that doesn't have this problem?

Perhaps thread/bearing lock compound?

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 22:43:13 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

Is there an alternative system that doesn't have this problem?

Perhaps thread/bearing lock compound?

Try a new collet, they don't last forever. You can also get mini jacobs chucks for 3.2mm machines.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 22:43:09 +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:

I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

The link says "3.2 mm collet" -- lokks like you have a 3 mm shank in an 1/8"
collet.

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Perkins wrote:
I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

Is there an alternative system that doesn't have this problem?

Perhaps thread/bearing lock compound?

1/8" collets wont hold a 3mm shank properly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2016 12:07, Bob Minchin wrote:
Mike Perkins wrote:
I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

Is there an alternative system that doesn't have this problem?

Perhaps thread/bearing lock compound?

1/8" collets wont hold a 3mm shank properly

I hadn't considered that, thanks.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2016 07:06, Thomas Prufer wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 22:43:09 +0000, Mike Perkins wrote:

I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

The link says "3.2 mm collet" -- lokks like you have a 3 mm shank in an 1/8"
collet.

As I said in reply to Bob, I hadn't considered the difference and the
consequence.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/2016 00:24, wrote:
On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 22:43:13 UTC, Mike Perkins wrote:
I bought some 6mm burrs on a 3mm shank.

I also have a Silverline rotary tool:

http://www.silverlinetools.com/en-GB...i-Tools/249765

I find the burr walks out and I can't seem to tighten up the collets
sufficiently to make it stay in place for a decent length of time.

Is there an alternative system that doesn't have this problem?

Perhaps thread/bearing lock compound?

Try a new collet, they don't last forever. You can also get mini jacobs chucks for 3.2mm machines.

Thanks for the suggestion.

This has an M8 collet and I thought I'd get a small chuck like you
suggest and try it out.

--
Mike Perkins
Video Solutions Ltd

Grinding burr Onetap UK diy 14 July 23rd 12 06:14 PM
Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ? N Cook UK diy 10 March 2nd 08 02:16 AM
Bison 5C collet chuck vs. Kalamazoo 1CC collet chuck vs. drawtube/ collet closer Louis Ohland Metalworking 2 August 2nd 07 02:35 AM
Miniature Burr? n cook Electronics Repair 19 May 31st 07 05:36 PM
Rotary tool collet nut [email protected] Woodworking 1 April 26th 07 06:36 AM