Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Grinding burr

Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix, Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits, but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:

Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix,
Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits,
but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.

Do you need one that's meatier than the Dremel ones?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:03:58 PM UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
Onetap wrote:

Do you need one that's meatier than the Dremel ones?

Preferably, but any one. I don't have a Dremel, they seem to sell the tools in sets.

I've found what I want in Radiospares, but I'm not paying £20+ each.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 21/07/2012 11:58, Onetap wrote:
Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix, Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits, but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.

Any good?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-pc-Rotar...item519f2b0a3b

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5PC-MO...em3f0d2f 03cf

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:16:19 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:
On 21/07/2012 11:58, Onetap wrote:
> Anyone know where they sell them? The usual suspects Screwfix, Toolstation, Selco have drawn a blank. They look like router bits, but with a little conical (usually) grindstone on the end.

Any good?

Yes, the second one should do it.
I need to chamfer a steel edge where an angle grinder won't fit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

PS Thanks.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/12 13:42, Onetap wrote:

I need to chamfer a steel edge where an angle grinder won't fit.

Would a file not do?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 3:52:54 PM UTC+1, pcb1962 wrote:
On 21/07/12 13:42, Onetap wrote:

> I need to chamfer a steel edge where an angle grinder won't fit.

Would a file not do?

No. No clearance, in the back of a small box. It has to be a rotary thingy.

You can buy a pneumatic die grinder and a set of grinding stones, very few places do single stones or small sets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/07/12 13:42, Onetap wrote:

> I need to chamfer a steel edge where an angle grinder won't
fit.

Would a file not do?

No. No clearance, in the back of a small box. It has to be a rotary
thingy.

You can buy a pneumatic die grinder and a set of grinding stones, very
few places do single stones or small sets.

Halfords do a set of 'mounted stones' (to fit in a drill chuck) for under
a fiver.

--
*Why doesn't glue stick to the inside of the bottle?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Onetap wrote:
On Saturday, July 21, 2012 1:16:19 PM UTC+1, ss wrote:

PS Thanks.

These are the best things if you have a die grinder or something to use
them in.

http://www.secoeng.co.uk/consumables...-carbide-burrs

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, July 21, 2012 8:32:48 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Halfords do a set of 'mounted stones' (to fit in a drill chuck) for under
a fiver.

Dave Plowman

Ta, bought those. They look the same as the E-bay ones mentioned above.

Why didn't I think of Halfords in the first place?

Thanks all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, July 22, 2012 3:28:27 PM UTC+1, Onetap wrote:

Ta, bought those. They look the same as the E-bay ones mentioned above.

But, having tried to use them, utter crap for grinding MS. The periphery speed is far too low in a drill, you'd need a pneumatic die grinder.

The stones hardly scratched the steel, but the steel rapidly wore away the pointy bits on the stones.

I resorted to an angle grinder with no guard and a very worn disc, which I had been trying to avoid. It did the job though.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Onetap wrote:
But, having tried to use them, utter crap for grinding MS. The
periphery speed is far too low in a drill, you'd need a pneumatic
die grinder.

What sort of drill were you using?

--
*Preserve wildlife - Go pickle a squirrel*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, July 23, 2012 4:25:16 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article >,

Cordless, didn't work.
Switched to a much faster mains drill. Still didn't work.
Switched to angle grinder.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Onetap wrote:
On Monday, July 23, 2012 4:25:16 PM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article >,

Cordless, didn't work.
Switched to a much faster mains drill. Still didn't work.
Switched to angle grinder.

I've used them with a fast mains drill and found them just about ok. But
they are fine stones so won't shift metal quickly. For that you want a
true burr.

--
*If all is not lost, where the hell is it?

Grinding Tip Brian Lawson Metalworking 0 November 15th 09 06:16 AM
Identify this rotary burr/rasp/drill bit ? N Cook UK diy 10 March 2nd 08 02:16 AM
Miniature Burr? n cook Electronics Repair 19 May 31st 07 05:36 PM
New grinding wheels for HSS and tool steel grinding Jim in VA Metalworking 5 June 9th 05 04:26 PM
Jrc 4558D, Mitsubshi M5218, Burr-Brown 2604 op amp question smguts Electronics 1 December 10th 04 11:24 AM