Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Default Extension lead ruined by sunlight

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of the
planet Mercury of course!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"GB" wrote in message
news
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Doesn't even require sunlight. I had a couple of (probably 5YO) works
ones disintegrate and they lived in the bottom of boxes in a van - so
maybe just heat or cold.

Seems to be the cheap nasty ones from China.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:57:19 -0000, GB wrote:

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Only dangerous to someone so unobservant not to see it happening. Anyway, don't you have those namby pamby circuit breakers?

--
What's the difference between a hooker and a drug dealer?
A hooker can wash her crack and sell it again.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually I had one recently that seemed intermittent when plugs were in it.
I had assumed it was just that the springyness of the contacts had reduced,
so took it apart to see if I could respring them. However what had happened
was that the plastic making up the bottom of the socket bar was crumbling
away, and cracking where the pressure from the contacts had been. Nothing
for it but the bin sadly. Not enough long tirm environmental testing,
obviously.
I suppose if these things never died, nobody would buy a new one?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"James Wilkinson Sword" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:57:19 -0000, GB wrote:

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Only dangerous to someone so unobservant not to see it happening. Anyway,
don't you have those namby pamby circuit breakers?

--
What's the difference between a hooker and a drug dealer?
A hooker can wash her crack and sell it again.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

We buy new ones when they get lost or stolen. Or plug in more things. Where I used to work I bought truckloads of the things, no doubt a lot of them disappeared into the homes of the staff. No sense trying to stop them, I could get them in bulk for a couple of quid each.

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 18:01:40 -0000, Brian Gaff wrote:

Actually I had one recently that seemed intermittent when plugs were in it.
I had assumed it was just that the springyness of the contacts had reduced,
so took it apart to see if I could respring them. However what had happened
was that the plastic making up the bottom of the socket bar was crumbling
away, and cracking where the pressure from the contacts had been. Nothing
for it but the bin sadly. Not enough long tirm environmental testing,
obviously.
I suppose if these things never died, nobody would buy a new one?
Brian

--
Peter is in the top three most intelligent people -- Ron Tompkins, circa 2013.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I've got others inside the house that have the full sun on them
right thru the winter and those have lasted for decades literally.

Yours must have been cheap crap extension leads.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/11/2016 17:51, Brian Gaff wrote:
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of the
planet Mercury of course!
Brian

About 5 years. It's a south facing window, on the top floor of the
house, but that doesn't really increase the altitude significantly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of
the planet Mercury of course!
Brian

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a
sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

This was discussed here months ago. I think that the poster was dennis@home
or something.
It was suggested that some heavy object had fallen onto his extension lead.
He posted a dropbox video of the crumbling plastic and his fingers removing
little bits of plastic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/16 19:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of
the planet Mercury of course!
Brian

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a
sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

This was discussed here months ago. I think that the poster was dennis@home
or something.

Was "Chris B" - Multi socket extension lead - interesting failure mode
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...Hk8/discussion

It was suggested that some heavy object had fallen onto his extension lead.
He posted a dropbox video of the crumbling plastic and his fingers removing
little bits of plastic.

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of
the planet Mercury of course!
Brian

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a
sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has
crumbled away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were
showing.

This was discussed here months ago. I think that the poster was
dennis@home or something.

Was "Chris B" - Multi socket extension lead - interesting failure mode
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!to...Hk8/discussion

It was suggested that some heavy object had fallen onto his
extension lead. He posted a dropbox video of the crumbling plastic
and his fingers removing little bits of plastic.

I stand corrected.
Well done Sir.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 06:04:52 +1100, Rod Speed wrote:

GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I've got others inside the house that have the full sun on them
right thru the winter and those have lasted for decades literally.

Yours must have been cheap crap extension leads.

About 1969 I ran 2.5mm FT&E to a shed (about 2m away), replaced it this year
when I re-roofed the shed. It was still somewhat flexible and there were no
cracks.
I did cut it up and dump it though.
They don't make 'em like that nowadays.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 23/11/2016 19:20, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
How long did this take, assuming your house is not on the surface of
the planet Mercury of course!
Brian

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a
sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

This was discussed here months ago. I think that the poster was dennis@home
or something.
It was suggested that some heavy object had fallen onto his extension lead.
He posted a dropbox video of the crumbling plastic and his fingers removing
little bits of plastic.

It's definitely crumbling of the plastic, not impact damage.

It's made by Masterplug, which I had thought was an okay make?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 19:11:38 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK. Even in the 60s my dad ran the cable in a metal pipe so it didn't get bitten by animals or be too exposed to rain adn snow and of course the sun.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/16 10:31, GB wrote:

It's definitely crumbling of the plastic, not impact damage.

Apparently there wasn't impact damage involved in the earlier case, that
OP found the item like that.

It's made by Masterplug, which I had thought was an okay make?

Does it look like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb3l80251v...23098.jpg?dl=0

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 24/11/2016 13:03, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/11/16 10:31, GB wrote:

It's definitely crumbling of the plastic, not impact damage.

Apparently there wasn't impact damage involved in the earlier case, that
OP found the item like that.

It's made by Masterplug, which I had thought was an okay make?

Does it look like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb3l80251v...23098.jpg?dl=0

A bit like that, but mine is more crumbly, I think.

http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhw/2

http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhx/2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 17:54 23 Nov 2016, Scott M wrote:

GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has
crumbled away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors
were showing.

Doesn't even require sunlight. I had a couple of (probably 5YO)
works ones disintegrate and they lived in the bottom of boxes in
a van - so maybe just heat or cold.

Seems to be the cheap nasty ones from China.

That sounds like most of the stuff you get in a pound shop: if it
doesn't spectacularly fail to the job properly as soon as you get it
home but actually seems quite reasonable and a real bargain - then
after a period it will degrade to the point of being completely unfit
for purpose.

That is radically overstating what you get in a pound shop.

Most of it works fine for as long as anything else.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2016 14:57, GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

That is why I find it amusing number of people will put t&e (not in
conduit) external to their house to feed ashed or garage
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/24/2016 5:50 PM, rick wrote:
On 23/11/2016 14:57, GB wrote:
Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

That is why I find it amusing number of people will put t&e (not in
conduit) external to their house to feed ashed or garage

Not ideal certainly, but the PVC sheath is fairly UV resistant, even
more so if painted. Unlikely to be much risk, especially with RCD
protection.

That failed spreader was certainly a very poor material.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 19:48:33 -0000, Mr Pounder Esquire wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 24/11/16 10:31, GB wrote:

It's definitely crumbling of the plastic, not impact damage.

Apparently there wasn't impact damage involved in the earlier case,
that OP found the item like that.

It's made by Masterplug, which I had thought was an okay make?

Does it look like
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bb3l80251v...23098.jpg?dl=0

Yes.

I've got a few melted ones. They never seem to be able to take as much current as the fuse.

--
Women claim that they never pursue a man. Well, by the same token, a mousetrap never pursues a mouse, but the end result is
the same.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK.

Corse you are, thats how the electrical stuff like lawnmowers,
hedge clippers, strimmers etc are powered, stupid.

And you certainly arent allowed to power the entire house
from the builder's temporary supply here. I did that anyway.

With the extension cord from the wooden pole that the
meter box with the power sockets inside was on, to the
eaves of the house. With a knot in that cord to keep it
from falling down. The plastic was a bit melted inside the
knot when the electricity supply operation eventually wagged
a finger and made me get the house connected properly.

That extension cord had a jesus adapter that powered
the entire house, including the big wall oven and grill,
electric storage hot water, everything. All you had to
do was be a bit careful to not turn it all on at once.

Even if you managed to do that it would just take out
the fuse in the builders temporary supply meter box.

Even in the 60s my dad ran the cable in a
metal pipe so it didn't get bitten by animals

We do have galahs which can get a bit like that
but its never happened and there is bugger all of
that cable that is where they can get at it anyway.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galah

or be too exposed to rain adn snow and of course the sun.

I dont bother, trivial to replace it if it eventually decays.

Dont expect it ever will need replacing. She's not going to live forever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 24 November 2016 20:25:12 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
whisky-dave wrote
Rod Speed wrote
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in
a sunny position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled
away. Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK.

Corse you are, thats how the electrical stuff like lawnmowers,
hedge clippers, strimmers etc are powered, stupid.

No it's not stupid.
Who runs their extention cable along the top of a fence to mow the lawn and leaves it there for years.
If yuo;r fixing it to a fence or leaving it outside it should be covered at least wehn it's not in use.

And you certainly arent allowed to power the entire house
from the builder's temporary supply here. I did that anyway.

Why does that not suprise me.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 24 Nov 2016 11:52:44 -0000, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 19:11:38 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
GB wrote

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

I've got a long extension lead powering the medion wifi repeater that
is half way down the back neighbours back yard, providing free wifi
for that neighbour. The extension lead runs along the top of the fence
rail in full sun and it has lasted fine for years now, no plastic rot at
all.

I don't think we're allowed to do that in the UK. Even in the 60s my dad ran the cable in a metal pipe so it didn't get bitten by animals or be too exposed to rain adn snow and of course the sun.

It's your fence, you do as as you wish with it.

--
What's the best form of birth control after 50?
Nudity.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:57:19 -0000, GB wrote:

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Did you expect it to last forever? When things wear out, you throw them away. Simple.

--
Six stages of married life:
1: Tri-weekly
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 25 November 2016 15:07:35 UTC, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
[...]

yes you can do what you want with yuor fence.

No you can't because iut can be shared with next door.
You can own a car that doesn't mean you can do what you like with it.

electrical work in the garden must be fully compliant to BS7671:2008

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/11/16 13:26, GB wrote:

A bit like that, but mine is more crumbly, I think.

http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhw/2

http://tinypic.com/m/jq2jhx/2

As it happens today I've binned an 'Addis Cutlery Drainer' that's had a
hard year of occasional sunshine UV exposure holding our toothbrushes.

http://www.addis.co.uk/sink-side/dra...s.html?pid=436

It's crumbling similarly and bits are now easily snapped off. I'd say at
a guess it's made of the same type of disintegrating cheese where I
think (looking at google) they may have left out the necessary UV
stabilising additives. These things are meant to have a 10 year guarantee!

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:57:19 -0000, GB wrote:

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Did you expect it to last forever? When things wear out, you throw them
away. Simple.

You really are something else.

God knows what, though.

--
Scott

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Nov 2016 17:50:25 -0000, Scott M wrote:

James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2016 14:57:19 -0000, GB wrote:

Just a minor warning: I had an extension lead on my desktop, in a sunny
position. I've just thrown it out, as the plastic has crumbled away.
Potentially very dangerous, as the conductors were showing.

Did you expect it to last forever? When things wear out, you throw them
away. Simple.

You really are something else.

God knows what, though.

GB came on here to complain that what looks like a £2.99 Aldi extension strip wore out. So what? Buy another one.

--
The difference between insane asylums and our schools is that in the insane asylum you have to show some improvement before you can get out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

GB came on here to complain that what looks like a £2.99 Aldi extension
strip wore out. So what? Buy another one.

You are so selfish that your only thought is that I was complaining. I
wasn't. I was warning other people on this NG that there's a potential
problem that could lead to an electric shock or fire, possibly.

There's a clue in the OP that ought to have penetrated your self-centred
brain, where I say: "Just a minor warning:".

And, yes, of course, I've thrown the extension lead away, and next time
I buy one it will be a better make. However cheap the original lead was,
it doesn't excuse it being hazardous.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:05:31 -0000, GB wrote:

GB came on here to complain that what looks like a £2.99 Aldi extension
strip wore out. So what? Buy another one.

You are so selfish that your only thought is that I was complaining. I
wasn't. I was warning other people on this NG that there's a potential
problem that could lead to an electric shock or fire, possibly.

There's a clue in the OP that ought to have penetrated your self-centred
brain, where I say: "Just a minor warning:".

And, yes, of course, I've thrown the extension lead away, and next time
I buy one it will be a better make. However cheap the original lead was,
it doesn't excuse it being hazardous.

Why do people need to be warned to throw things away when they fall apart?

--
I got the strangest recording when I called the phone company the other day.
It said, "You have been connected to the correct department on the first try. This is against company policy. Please hang up and redial."
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 11:05:31 -0000, GB wrote:

GB came on here to complain that what looks like a £2.99 Aldi extension
strip wore out. So what? Buy another one.

You are so selfish that your only thought is that I was complaining. I
wasn't. I was warning other people on this NG that there's a potential
problem that could lead to an electric shock or fire, possibly.

There's a clue in the OP that ought to have penetrated your self-centred
brain, where I say: "Just a minor warning:".

And, yes, of course, I've thrown the extension lead away, and next time
I buy one it will be a better make. However cheap the original lead was,
it doesn't excuse it being hazardous.

Why do people need to be warned to throw things away when they fall apart?

You just show yourself up as an idiot when you ask inane questions.
Clearly, the answer to your stupid question is that the damage may not
be immediately apparent.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/16 22:30, GB wrote:
[...]

You just show yourself up as an idiot when you answer with inane answers.

If the damage is not apparent, how do you know its faulty at all?

fully understood.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 26/11/16 22:30, GB wrote:
[...]

You missed out a key word in order to make a daft point. I said
immediately apparent.

In my case, only the side of the extension lead facing the sun was
brittle. Since I normally only saw it from the other side, the first I
knew of the problem was when I picked up the extension lead, the plastic
crumbled away, and my fingers were in direct contact with the
conductors. Fortunately, I had the earths towards the windows, so I was
earthed rather than shocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 22:45:34 -0000, GB wrote:

On 26/11/16 22:30, GB wrote:
[...]

Oh you poor thing. An electric shock won't kill you, especially with modern namby pamby circuit breakers.

--
There are two people I trust to use my computer. Myself and you are not the other one.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's only not immediately apparent to a clueless ****wit of the third order.

--
Why do MPs drive Volvos?
Because they have safe seats.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

It's only not immediately apparent to a clueless ****wit of the third
order.

Well, it's just as well you heeded my warning then.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Nov 2016 22:54:22 -0000, GB wrote:

It's only not immediately apparent to a clueless ****wit of the third
order.

Well, it's just as well you heeded my warning then.

I have had six shocks off the mains, it does no harm.

--
I was on a train this morning, in the loo, when a voice called out "Can I see your ticket please?"
"Not right now," I replied, "I'm having a ****."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/11/16 22:45, GB wrote:
On 26/11/16 22:30, GB wrote:
[...]

And the damage became immediately apparent.

Fortunately, I had the earths towards the windows, so I was
earthed rather than shocked.

Lucas Bergkamp

Extension lead [email protected] UK diy 1 July 1st 14 04:13 PM
Extension lead for mower GB UK diy 47 May 27th 14 08:41 PM
Curly extension lead The Medway Handyman UK diy 15 May 10th 08 02:19 PM
Extension lead thingy Steve Jones UK diy 3 December 6th 04 01:37 PM
How (not) to wire an extension lead Owain UK diy 7 August 19th 04 10:35 AM