Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Adjusting old upvc "flag" hinges - a lost cause?

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 20:24:35 UTC, wrote:
I think that the 2 oval white shapes on top of the Allen screw, are locking pins which are stopping the hinge from moving. The outer part of the hinge has 4 vertical grooves, and the allen screw has 9 grooves, which gives 36 different locking positions. You need to pull out the locking pins whereupon the Allen screw will be free to turn. Make sure to put the locking pins back in once you are satisfied with the adjustment. It might help, when pulling the pins, to use the Allen key to wiggle the hinge pin back and forth..

HTH!

Ok, the locking pins came out relatively easily using pliers. However, the nut which seems to be made of plastic does not budge. A good fitting Allen key can be felt to be slipping in the hex hole in the head of the bolt in the hinge. I guess any more force and I will strip the head of the bolt. I guess the bolt has all seized up and will be difficult to budge. Maybe I will call for some "professional" help - wherever I can find someone who actually knows what they are doing rather than someone who will be able to bugger up the hinge - something I am quite capable of doing myself.

Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is there a grub screw on the side of the hinge? If so, loosen it.