Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Consumer unit replacement

Planning on replacing my mum's bakerlite fuseboard with a metal 17th edition CU (to give her place ELCB protetion). Annoyingly some cables come through to the fuseboard from a hole in the wall (directly behind) into the fuseholders so when I fit the new CU these will probably not quite reach to the RCBOs. What are the groups views on fitting a heavy duty terminal block inside the CU to extend the cables to reach the RCBOs?

Due to the lack of space the CU has got to go where the old one was and the cables are even too short to extend to a Debox or similar.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 20 November 2016 15:29:30 UTC, simon mitchelmore wrote:

Planning on replacing my mum's bakerlite fuseboard with a metal 17th edition CU (to give her place ELCB protetion).

An unusual requirement. Life support appliances perhaps?

Annoyingly some cables come through to the fuseboard from a hole in the wall (directly behind) into the fuseholders so when I fit the new CU these will probably not quite reach to the RCBOs. What are the groups views on fitting a heavy duty terminal block inside the CU to extend the cables to reach the RCBOs?

Due to the lack of space the CU has got to go where the old one was and the cables are even too short to extend to a Debox or similar.

Screw connector, crimp, etc. It might also work to pull the wires out of the plaster and extend them in a separate box.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/11/2016 15:29, simon mitchelmore wrote:
Planning on replacing my mum's bakerlite fuseboard with a metal 17th
edition CU (to give her place ELCB protetion). Annoyingly some cables
come through to the fuseboard from a hole in the wall (directly
behind) into the fuseholders so when I fit the new CU these will
probably not quite reach to the RCBOs. What are the groups views on
fitting a heavy duty terminal block inside the CU to extend the
cables to reach the RCBOs?

Due to the lack of space the CU has got to go where the old one was
and the cables are even too short to extend to a Debox or similar.

Crimping extensions on is probably the best way in the circumstance.

--
Cheers,

John.