Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Possibly OT computer replacement

In article ,
wrote:
Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

--
*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 15:28:12 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a pile of useful apps in one shot.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a fresh
installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new machine. Far
less likelihood of having problems.

--
*I wish the buck stopped here. I could use a few.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 22 November 2016 16:44:27 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
tabbypurr wrote:

Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a fresh
installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new machine. Far
less likelihood of having problems.

It depends.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the
OS, like Windows?

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a
fresh installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new
machine. Far less likelihood of having problems.

It depends.

If I were changing to a new PC but keeping the same OS, I'd just clone the
HD. But if not, I'd likely find many of my paid for apps would need
updating anyway.

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the
OS, like Windows?

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a
fresh installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new
machine. Far less likelihood of having problems.

It depends.

If I were changing to a new PC but keeping the same OS, I'd just clone the
HD. But if not, I'd likely find many of my paid for apps would need
updating anyway.

I have never had to when moving to a newer OS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 01:19:42 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the
OS, like Windows?

No, everything for general use is preinstalled. It's a great way to avoid badly behaving apps.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote:
Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not
the bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to
'install' a pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the
OS, like Windows?

No, everything for general use is preinstalled. It's a great way to
avoid badly behaving apps.

I don't have any 'badly behaved' apps on Windows.

And I certainly don't believe linux is perfect. No matter how many on here
think it is.

--
*Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

There are a fair number of simple portable utilities that can be freely
copied between machines and will work OK from a USB stick without being
installed (eg CPUZ) but these days almost everything serious wants to be
installed and will react badly if it doesn't find the right keys in the
registry to indicate that you have actually paid for it.

One really annoying thing when migrating from an old machine and wanting
to retain access to a particular version of Office for testing purposes
is that you must know the digital signature keys from the original
packaging. Not being able to find that can be very annoying.

Fortunately one or two programmes exist to recover keys for installed
payware so that you can move them to another PC when the old one is
retired or expires. Some are tetchy about video or ethernet card
upgrades and mistakenly believe that they are not on the original PC.

Recoverkeys has worked very well for me in the past when migrating on
Windows machines where original packaging has been lost. YMMV

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
wrote:
Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

There are a fair number of simple portable utilities that can be freely
copied between machines and will work OK from a USB stick without being
installed (eg CPUZ) but these days almost everything serious wants to be
installed and will react badly if it doesn't find the right keys in the
registry to indicate that you have actually paid for it.

Quite. Like PhotoShop and so on. The sort of prog which you can copy
across freely can also be downloaded again for free. So hardly worth the
effort of copying.

One really annoying thing when migrating from an old machine and wanting
to retain access to a particular version of Office for testing purposes
is that you must know the digital signature keys from the original
packaging. Not being able to find that can be very annoying.

I'm quite meticulous about keeping the details of things I've paid good
money for. But even things like the free Open Office won't allow you to
copy it over.

Fortunately one or two programmes exist to recover keys for installed
payware so that you can move them to another PC when the old one is
retired or expires. Some are tetchy about video or ethernet card
upgrades and mistakenly believe that they are not on the original PC.

Yes - although it's usually not a problem to get Windows reactivated if it
thinks you've moved it. Provided it is your own bought copy. Dunno about
the pre-loaded versions.

Recoverkeys has worked very well for me in the past when migrating on
Windows machines where original packaging has been lost. YMMV

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 23 November 2016 11:29:28 UTC, Martin Brown wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:

Go on then. You are in the OP's position. Which programme you have
currently could and would you just copy from the old HD to the new?

Lol. Newsgroups eh. GIYF. The term 'portable' is often applied, often
not.

Thanks for not answering the question.

I personally can't think of any.

There are a fair number of simple portable utilities that can be freely
copied between machines and will work OK from a USB stick without being
installed (eg CPUZ) but these days almost everything serious wants to be
installed and will react badly if it doesn't find the right keys in the
registry to indicate that you have actually paid for it.

Payware has its place for the odd app for some people, but for nearly all apps now you're better off with freeware. Payware is in most cases just pointless.

NT

Computer Accessories | Computer Stores Samuel Charles UK diy 1 July 2nd 16 01:13 PM
(OT) Computer monitor V/S HDTV with Computer input [email protected] Home Repair 30 February 3rd 15 05:27 PM
Could it POSSIBLY be something else? Winston Metalworking 0 July 20th 10 02:58 PM
OT possibly? George UK diy 13 September 22nd 08 08:41 PM
O.T possibly Mindwipe UK diy 3 March 1st 06 04:02 AM