Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Possibly OT computer replacement

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
Most of mine were copiable that way when I ran windows. But not the
bloated ones. I used to direct copy into program files to 'install' a
pile of useful apps in one shot.

Ah. You haven't used Windows for some time, then?

No, I went linux several years ago.

Perhaps that needs lots and lots of apps that don't come as part of the
OS, like Windows?

Only things I'd copy from an old to new PC would be files. I'd do a
fresh installation of the progs I wanted to carry over to the new
machine. Far less likelihood of having problems.

It depends.

If I were changing to a new PC but keeping the same OS, I'd just clone the
HD. But if not, I'd likely find many of my paid for apps would need
updating anyway.

I have never had to when moving to a newer OS.