Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default can bus towing

can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/18/2016 10:45 AM, Bob Minchin wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.

don't worry about it.... I just want to know the name of the unit
because it appears to be the only one that switched fog lights off on
the car when a trailer is plugged in .....

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.

don't worry about it.... I just want to know the name of the unit
because it appears to be the only one that switched fog lights off on
the car when a trailer is plugged in .....

This one should do what you want
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-Wir...AOSw7hRWOw~ p

and there should be others on ebay too

Bob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.

don't worry about it.... I just want to know the name of the unit
because it appears to be the only one that switched fog lights off on
the car when a trailer is plugged in .....

This one should do what you want
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-Wir...AOSw7hRWOw~ p

and there should be others on ebay too

Bob

yes at half that price but I don't think it switches the fog light .....

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive
Creativity in retirement is knowing how to spend time without spending money

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.
don't worry about it.... I just want to know the name of the unit
because it appears to be the only one that switched fog lights off on
the car when a trailer is plugged in .....

This one should do what you want
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Towbar-Wir...AOSw7hRWOw~ p

and there should be others on ebay too

Bob

yes at half that price but I don't think it switches the fog light .....

Well the description talks about fog lights.
This one specifically mentions it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal-...AOSwxp9W4Zr w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

but I don't want the one on the car and the one on the trailer on at the
same time....

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive
Creativity in retirement is knowing how to spend time without spending money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

I don't really see that this has much to do with can bus to be honest?
It looks like tapping into the wiring as per normal trailer socket.
Maybe the module is just a relay to take the load of extra indicator
bulbs and I think there is supposed to be a buzzer when trailer
indicators are drawing power.

don't worry about it.... I just want to know the name of the unit
because it appears to be the only one that switched fog lights off on
the car when a trailer is plugged in .....

Switching the fog lights off is a pretty standard feature I would have
thought. Surely most/all will do it?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

But that second one says " and by following the operational switching
instructions the fog light on the rear of the vehicle can be switched off
whilst the fog light on the rear of the towed unit is switched on."

Isn't that what you want?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/11/2016 08:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

If its a vauxhall you can get a canbus enabled module and pre wired
socket for about £90 at the dealer. Much cheaper than ebay was. Only
snag is they are 13pin.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... expressed precisely :
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

Jim, it reads as if it is a Can-Bus bypass unit. Lots of different
makes around and quite cheap, but the trailer part of the Can-bus
system will just be ignored. In other words your trailer lighting will
not be monitored for faults. Buy the manufacturers proper Can-Bus unit
and usually it will flag up any faults. I have the pukka item and if
any lamp on the caravan fails to function, it is flagged up on my dash,
with a description of the failed lamp.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ laid this down on his screen :
Switching the fog lights off is a pretty standard feature I would have
thought. Surely most/all will do it?

Usually, they do not.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

em yes..... I will have another look I like PCT gear...thanks

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive
Creativity in retirement is knowing how to spend time without spending money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

oh right just read the PDF as to how it is done with the pct unit
.....great...I will order that one them ...thanks again missed that!

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive
Creativity in retirement is knowing how to spend time without spending money

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/18/2016 3:59 PM, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... expressed precisely :
can anybody tell me the make of this unit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb5hShisIS4

Jim, it reads as if it is a Can-Bus bypass unit. Lots of different makes
around and quite cheap, but the trailer part of the Can-bus system will
just be ignored. In other words your trailer lighting will not be
monitored for faults. Buy the manufacturers proper Can-Bus unit and
usually it will flag up any faults. I have the pukka item and if any
lamp on the caravan fails to function, it is flagged up on my dash, with
a description of the failed lamp.

think the downside of that is if there is a trailer board fault it can
bugger things up in the car...going for the PCT bypass at £15 now I know
how to switch the car fog off ......how you doing harry nice to see you
all those years ago at your QTH.......PS I hear the £90 renault "puki"
item they are selling in this country for the dacia duster is for LHD
and reverses the fog and reversing lights...tee hee...na luck

--
Beat fraud ... tug a wig
I like to live as a poor man, but with lots of money
The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive
Creativity in retirement is knowing how to spend time without spending money
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Tim+ laid this down on his screen :
Switching the fog lights off is a pretty standard feature I would have
thought. Surely most/all will do it?

Usually, they do not.

Usually, or fact *always*, in my experience, they do. Still, one of us is
probably right. ;-)

To be clear, I'm talking about turning off the towing vehicle's fog light
but leaving the towed vehicle's one on.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 18/11/2016, Tim+ supposed :
Usually, or fact *always*, in my experience, they do. Still, one of us is
probably right. ;-)

To be clear, I'm talking about turning off the towing vehicle's fog light
but leaving the towed vehicle's one on.

Which is what I was responding to. Not that many do include that
feature.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
think the downside of that is if there is a trailer board fault it can bugger
things up in the car...going for the PCT bypass at £15 now I know how to
switch the car fog off ......how you doing harry nice to see you all those
years ago at your QTH.......PS I hear the £90 renault "puki" item they are
selling in this country for the dacia duster is for LHD and reverses the fog
and reversing lights...tee hee...na luck

I'm doing absolutely fine, thanks for asking.

There is no reason why the fault you mention, should affect the cars
lighting. Both the pukka can-bus and the bypass type need a separate
main feed.

In addition to the main feed, my BMW OEM unit needed an additional
small wire run to the lighting ECU for the can-bus data for the trailer
lights.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Harry Bloomfield" wrote in message
news
Jim GM4DHJ ... presented the following explanation :
think the downside of that is if there is a trailer board fault it can
bugger things up in the car...going for the PCT bypass at £15 now I know
how to switch the car fog off ......how you doing harry nice to see you
all those years ago at your QTH.......PS I hear the £90 renault "puki"
item they are selling in this country for the dacia duster is for LHD and
reverses the fog and reversing lights...tee hee...na luck

I'm doing absolutely fine, thanks for asking.

There is no reason why the fault you mention, should affect the cars
lighting. Both the pukka can-bus and the bypass type need a separate main
feed.

didn't know that......

In addition to the main feed, my BMW OEM unit needed an additional small
wire run to the lighting ECU for the can-bus data for the trailer lights.

hardly worth shelling out £100 then if a £15 unit can do it .....

Towing your own car a short distance [email protected] Home Repair 15 April 25th 13 12:18 PM
Towing vehicle with a rope Jim S UK diy 299 October 18th 11 09:34 PM
OT Towing mirrors TMC[_2_] UK diy 14 April 21st 11 03:51 PM
Towing a bike... Father Kylesmas UK diy 2 December 20th 06 08:26 PM
Towing Vehicle Too_Many_Tools Metalworking 9 December 11th 04 02:26 PM