Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default "Shotgun" satellite cable opinions.

Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one.
Nice new high gain LNB as well.

Currently I'm reusing the 20+ year old old cabling, but given I would
really like to re-route it am inclined to replace that too.

I see dual (so called "shotgun") cable is readily available. Much
thinner, and more flexible. Just the job for an easy install.

Is there any valid reason to be concerned about this cable?
Instinctively I have reservations. Is this rational, or not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:51:51 +0000, Vortex12
wrote:

Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one.
Nice new high gain LNB as well.

Currently I'm reusing the 20+ year old old cabling, but given I would
really like to re-route it am inclined to replace that too.

I see dual (so called "shotgun") cable is readily available. Much
thinner, and more flexible. Just the job for an easy install.

Is there any valid reason to be concerned about this cable?
Instinctively I have reservations. Is this rational, or not?

It will be fine. Just be sure to get the correct F connectors.

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 19:51:54 UTC, Vortex12 wrote:
Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one.
Nice new high gain LNB as well.

There's nothing wrong with shotgun cable, but if it's thinner than ordinary it will have a higher attentuation which may be a problem with low signal areas or long runs.

Personally I'm not a fan of it as I think it bends/kinks too easily.

Consider running to all 4 ports on the LNB now as it saves going up the ladder again later.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 16/11/2016 20:21, Graham. wrote:

It will be fine. Just be sure to get the correct F connectors.

Now on the last rewire I did I ran 4 labelled up CT100 cables up to the
point where the Sky dish was going to be installed.

The bloke that turned up from Sky to fit the dish and thought he was
going to have to cable clip some **** shotgun cable around the outside
of the house before drilling through the wall inside to out damaging the
bricks (a lazy ****) announced "we do not carry CT100 F connector
anymore so I cannot do the job."

What a pity that I already had the CT100 F connectors waiting for him
and if he did not fit them then I would kick him off his ladder.

Forget the shotgun cable and use the proper stuff.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Just installed a new satellite dish to replace the nasty rusty old one.
Nice new high gain LNB as well.

Currently I'm reusing the 20+ year old old cabling, but given I would
really like to re-route it am inclined to replace that too.

I see dual (so called "shotgun") cable is readily available. Much
thinner, and more flexible. Just the job for an easy install.

Is there any valid reason to be concerned about this cable?
Instinctively I have reservations. Is this rational, or not?

It will be fine. Just be sure to get the correct F connectors.

Yes it's OK for runs upto about 20m because the LNB amplifies the signal
to a level far higher than the receiver needs.

Bill
(satellite installer 1986 to 2015)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Actually it's a zone 2 in southern UK. About 15 metres between dish and
Receiver(s).

Planning to ditch Sky after Christmas for Freesat, but I installed a
latest 6 way Sky branded "hybrid" LNB to retain future option of Sky Q
and also keep existing Sky box usable just in case.....

Think I'll go shotgun for the cabling for ease of installation.

Just for the record the Shotgun cable works fine for me.

Cable run about 15M shows 100% signal strength at receiver.

I have to say the connector installation is a bit fiddly compared with
full size cable. Very easy to "short" the connector without noticing
(or maybe I need an eye test).