Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Strange car radio power wiring - just wondered

Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/16 18:28, dave wrote:
Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

Using a DMM or a test lamp?

Check radio fuses are not blown?

The radio may be feeding itself only from a weak connection to dashboard
illumination, which may be dropping voltage when you turn outside lights on.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/11/16 19:38, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 16/11/16 18:28, dave wrote:
Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

Using a DMM or a test lamp?

Check radio fuses are not blown?

The radio may be feeding itself only from a weak connection to dashboard
illumination, which may be dropping voltage when you turn outside lights
on.

Oh scrap my witterings, that doesn't make sense.

Weird.

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:28:13 +0000, dave wrote:

Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

But you don't say if the radio works with the lights on or even off.
Does the radio have an earth connection?
Where exactly was the -ve lead of your meter connected when measuring?

--

Graham.

%Profound_observation%
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I had my SONY DAB 2008 RX put into my 159 - it took a pro FOUR HOURS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , dave
writes
Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*,

Normal so far
if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

Does it have memory presets and do you lose them whenever this happens?
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

I had my SONY DAB 2008 RX put into my 159 - it took a pro FOUR HOURS.

Because it always was a steaming turd with wheels.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:42:34 +0000, Graham.
wrote:

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 18:28:13 +0000, dave wrote:

Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

But you don't say if the radio works with the lights on or even off.

:-) It doesn't work at all - becuase it's in the bin :-)
I was just wondering what the various power cables were to it were for
(I should have made that clearer).

Where exactly was the -ve lead of your meter connected when measuring?

Just picked up on an eath under the dash. The earth is ok - check from
there back to battery - yep get 12+ volts.

Perhaps it was cunning wired by nissan to ban listening to the radio
at night har ha.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 16 November 2016 20:55:45 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote

I had my SONY DAB 2008 RX put into my 159 - it took a pro FOUR HOURS.

Because it always was a steaming turd with wheels.

I fitted the same radio to my 156 on my own, but on the 159 he had to take out the air vents, fit a new DAB antenna to the windscreen and hook it up to the steering wheel controls.

That is why I paid him £200 cash.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote

I had my SONY DAB 2008 RX put into my 159 - it took a pro FOUR HOURS.

Because it always was a steaming turd with wheels.

I fitted the same radio to my 156 on my own, but on the 159 he had to take
out the air
vents, fit a new DAB antenna to the windscreen and hook it up to the
steering wheel controls.

That's what I meant about it being a steaming turd with wheels. ****ed by
design.

That is why I paid him £200 cash.

Just a rat hole you keep pouring your money down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
dave wrote:
Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

It's not uncommon to have a connection to the car lighting, so the display
dims when they are on.

--
*How come you never hear about gruntled employees? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

And does it? Since you have the car, one assumes that this does not happen,
or you would be posting what idiot wired this up. Therefore, I have to ask,
where are you measuring from as an earth?
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"dave" wrote in message
Strange radio wiring. This is just for interest, am not trying to fix
anything (for a change)!

An ancient Nissan Micra K11 radio - wiring to the radio has these
wires for power.

2 wires. (The rest all seem to be for the speakers)
a) is +12Vdc all the time
b) is +12 Vdc when the ign key is set to Aux.

Start Engine

Same readings as above *except*, if turn any of the lights on (parking
lights, main beams), power to both cables goes off! That would turn
the radio off at night : No?

Something I always wondered about... nestork Home Repair 46 December 23rd 12 05:15 PM
Strange phone wiring JoeJoe UK diy 26 February 8th 12 12:15 PM
Ever wondered why your gas bill is so high? [email protected] UK diy 32 August 11th 06 10:44 AM
Car radio falure? (very strange) Chupo Electronics Repair 8 October 17th 05 06:10 AM
Car radio failure? (very strange) Chupo Electronics Repair 2 October 11th 05 09:48 AM