Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting a carpet

I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office.
I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this
room hasn't any skirting yet.
It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down?
If not i'll do it myself.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 17:53:47 UTC, R D S wrote:
I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office.
I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this
room hasn't any skirting yet.
It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down?
If not i'll do it myself.

Most of my carpets did not have the underlay fixed, and have been fine. One I didn't do has the underlay glued to the carpet, but not to the floor.

Cutting doesn't strike me as particularly a skill, but as with any diy there are people that will mess it up.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 18:29:01 UTC, tabbyp wrote:
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 17:53:47 UTC, R D S wrote:
I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office.
I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this
room hasn't any skirting yet.
It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down?
If not i'll do it myself.

Most of my carpets did not have the underlay fixed, and have been fine. One I didn't do has the underlay glued to the carpet, but not to the floor.

Cutting doesn't strike me as particularly a skill, but as with any diy there are people that will mess it up.

NT

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Carpet_laying
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 13/11/2016 18:29, wrote:
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 18:29:01 UTC, tabbyp wrote:
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 17:53:47 UTC, R D S wrote:
I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office.
I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this
room hasn't any skirting yet.
It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down?
If not i'll do it myself.

Most of my carpets did not have the underlay fixed, and have been fine. One I didn't do has the underlay glued to the carpet, but not to the floor.

Cutting doesn't strike me as particularly a skill, but as with any diy there are people that will mess it up.

NT

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/Carpet_laying

I have fitted several rooms, mainly bedrooms as not so noticed if I got
it wrong. Never had a problem and happy with the outcome.
I just leave the underlay without fixing, the backing seems to hold it
in place.
As for cutting the carpet not so much a skill as take your time and dont
rush it. I done a 17 x 12 room in under an hour, by that I mean I had
all in place and the final cut (trim) was under an hour to go round the
edges and trim it using a kicker to stretch as best I could.
Video clips on utube.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good Grief. What carpet what underlay?
Talking to fitters they usually stretch carpets and hold the edges with
those strips of upward facing pin things. If you don't stretch it
uniformly, in a short time you get wrinkles and bulges as it stretcheds when
walked on. It is a bit of an art, though I'm sur its easy to teach it.
Sadly the state of my knees these days mean any new carpet I get will be
fitted by somebody else!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"R D S" wrote in message
news
I need to carpet a room, going to use it as an office.
I know a guy who will do it cheap but he's always busy.

I would have thought that the cutting was where the skill was but this
room hasn't any skirting yet.
It's freshly reboarded, there's no underlay, does it need fixing down?
If not i'll do it myself.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
news
Good Grief. What carpet what underlay?
Talking to fitters they usually stretch carpets and hold the edges with
those strips of upward facing pin things. If you don't stretch it
uniformly, in a short time you get wrinkles and bulges as it stretcheds
when walked on. It is a bit of an art, though I'm sur its easy to teach
it.

Sadly the state of my knees these days mean any new carpet I get will be
fitted by somebody else!

You were warned about grovelling, you wouldn’t listen...

news

Carpet fitting SS[_2_] UK diy 8 October 12th 11 07:21 PM
Carpet fitting sleepingtiger UK diy 19 September 18th 08 07:50 AM
Carpet fitting [email protected] UK diy 10 October 25th 06 12:41 PM
carpet fitting Jim Walsh UK diy 21 October 24th 05 07:07 PM
Fitting carpet Mike UK diy 14 January 8th 05 09:45 PM