Posted to uk.d-i-y,uk.radio.amateur

Default CB radio installation success

En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

Oh, the cutting wit, the biting repartee. Not. Try not to drool on yourself,
eh?

Too late; he's already **** his pants along with all the other
incontinent old ****s in uk.ra.

FUs set.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Mike Tomlinson" wrote in message
En el artículo , Huge
escribió:

Oh, the cutting wit, the biting repartee. Not. Try not to drool on
yourself,
eh?

Too late; he's already **** his pants along with all the other
incontinent old ****s in uk.ra.

FUs set.

At least I don't wear wummins pants like you .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Oh, the cutting wit, the biting repartee. Not. Try not to drool on
yourself,
eh?

Too late; he's already **** his pants along with all the other
incontinent old ****s in uk.ra.

FUs set.

At least I don't wear wummins pants like you .....

gotten to too...BONA !

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/16 17:17, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
news
On 13/11/16 15:03, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

If you have a problem with my attitude, that's your problem.

Soon solved with a killfile entry...

very true but why miss the fun?

I think I missed it already.

twenty-first centurys developed world went into hysterical panic over a
globally average temperature increase of a few tenths of a degree, and,
on the basis of gross exaggerations of highly uncertain computer
projections combined into implausible chains of inference, proceeded to
contemplate a rollback of the industrial age.

Richard Lindzen
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-11-13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 09:08:53 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use
two
whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be good
go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

become a hammy mens

2m is dead.

blame the FL.....

Sure, if you're a moronic bigotted old fart who's part of the problem.

You've got the measure of Jim. He is one of the usual rejects who ruined
ukra with moronic and abusive posts, best just to ignore him (and his
sock puppets).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/11/2016 11:29, Steve Hall wrote:
On Sun, 13 Nov 2016 00:42:40 -0800, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 08:32:34 UTC, Rod Speed wrote:

Here is the fitted antenna as promised.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxIL1wVWgAAao1D.jpg

Another complete abortion. It isnt even vertical, stupid.

It all might have to come down anyway as the SWR is sky high. I am going
to pick up a calibration meter from Maplins at 1000h and if that doesn't
fix it, it may be due to the antenna coax being 10m long, in which case,
I will have to move it closer and put it on the conservatory roof with a
shorter cable instead.

Might be due to it being a mobile antenna that's meant to have a ground
plain.

Try running a few wires, at least as long as the antenna, from the
mounting pointing (so they are connected to the coax connector 'shell')
down at an angle of about 45 degrees. Under the eaves, tucked under
tiles etc is fine. Ideally, have them all around but if you have a
'gap', it should still work. Insulated wire is ok.

A long coax doesn't cause high SWR. If anything, it can mislead you into
thinking you have a good match due to losses in the coax, assuming you
measure SWR at the tx (as most people do).

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 07:57:52 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Made a bit of a schoolboy howler with the antenna though. The SWR reading was sky high which was down to the fact that I had bought a mobile antenna designed to be used on a car roof, which uses the metal as a ground plane. Just ordered a Sirio 827 instead to replace it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 November 2016 18:00:49 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 16:37:31 UTC, harry wrote:
On Saturday, 12 November 2016 18:57:20 UTC, Simon Mason wrote:
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be good to go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

Complete waste of time.
Don't you have a mobile phone?

Yes - here it is.

https://www.iridium.com/products/det...atellite-phone

Well use that if you want to talk to a fellow moron instead of broadcasting bull**** over the ether.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 07:57:52 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Made a bit of a schoolboy howler with the antenna though. The SWR reading
was sky high which was down to the fact that I had bought a mobile antenna
designed to be used on a car roof, which uses the metal as a ground plane.
Just ordered a Sirio 827 instead to replace it.

have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? ...... you seem
ideally suited.....and would get it no problem....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:31:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? ...... you seem
ideally suited.....and would get it no problem....

I thought about it in the 1970's, but the CW put me off as my mind was too analytical and you need a musical brain to read fast Morse.

Now I have the spare time, the CW has gone and I could pass the theory, 10/15/20/40 are all dead. 80/160 have the same OMs on private nets and VHF/UHF are dead.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/16 08:31, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? .

Is there a hammy women's license? I didn't think you needed a license
for pork swording hammy women, personally, but it's been a long time...

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:31:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? ...... you
seem
ideally suited.....and would get it no problem....

I thought about it in the 1970's, but the CW put me off as my mind was too
analytical and you need a musical brain to read fast Morse.

I'm not musical took me 6 months to pass the morse but some people are
lazy.........

Now I have the spare time, the CW has gone and I could pass the theory,
10/15/20/40 are all dead. 80/160 have the same OMs on private nets and
VHF/UHF are dead.

very true...I wouldn't bother then .......10 10 till we do it again

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2016-11-13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 09:08:53 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use
two
whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be
good
go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

become a hammy mens

2m is dead.

blame the FL.....

Sure, if you're a moronic bigotted old fart who's part of the problem.

You've got the measure of Jim. He is one of the usual rejects who ruined
ukra with moronic and abusive posts, best just to ignore him (and his sock
puppets).

feel free you narcissistic fat *******...no offence meant.....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:58:36 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:31:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? ...... you
seem
ideally suited.....and would get it no problem....

I thought about it in the 1970's, but the CW put me off as my mind was too
analytical and you need a musical brain to read fast Morse.

I'm not musical took me 6 months to pass the morse but some people are
lazy.........

Musical types can do it in a weekend.

The proper correlation is to innate musical ability, particularly as regards rhythm. I have known very intelligent folks, but with little or no musical talent, who had enormous difficulty with the code. Musical types (particularly drummers) picked it up in a weekend.

It is basically just a set of rhythm patterns. My guess is that most members of a typical inner-city drum corps could, if properly motivated, do 5wpm or better in 48 hours. I learned it at age 12, very easily, and was also taking drum lessons. 60 years later I still do both music and code.

Perhaps a better correlation yet would be what we call "playing by ear" - you quickly get a feel for it. More than mere memory but less than a conscious mental process.

http://www.eham.net/articles/33650
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:58:36 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 08:31:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

have you ever thought about going for a hammy mens licence? ...... you
seem
ideally suited.....and would get it no problem....

I thought about it in the 1970's, but the CW put me off as my mind was
too
analytical and you need a musical brain to read fast Morse.

I'm not musical took me 6 months to pass the morse but some people are
lazy.........

Musical types can do it in a weekend.

lucky them ....

so what you are saying if you have no natural ability you shouldn't bother
doing something that is hard for you? ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
On 2016-11-13, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 09:08:53 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use
two
whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be
good
go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

become a hammy mens

2m is dead.

blame the FL.....

Sure, if you're a moronic bigotted old fart who's part of the problem.

You've got the measure of Jim. He is one of the usual rejects who ruined
ukra with moronic and abusive posts, best just to ignore him (and his sock
puppets).

here is a car that will suit tomlinkinson...spanish as well ....

http://metro.co.uk/2016/09/16/seat-h...ingly-6132464/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Sure, if you're a moronic bigotted old fart who's part of the problem.

You've got the measure of Jim. He is one of the usual rejects who ruined
ukra with moronic and abusive posts, best just to ignore him (and his sock
puppets).

defending a man? who has no respect brian...shocking ....wonder what he
calls you behind your back? ......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 09:07:30 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

lucky them ....

so what you are saying if you have no natural ability you shouldn't bother
doing something that is hard for you? ....

Yes - it took me weeks to learn a Kraftwerk tune on a Casio CS1, but a workmate borrowed Radar Love off me and played it note for note after a couple of hours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/11/2016 08:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 14 November 2016 07:57:52 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Made a bit of a schoolboy howler with the antenna though. The SWR reading was sky high which was down to the fact that I had bought a mobile antenna designed to be used on a car roof, which uses the metal as a ground plane. Just ordered a Sirio 827 instead to replace it.

If you add the radials I suggested, you should be OK. Even one may be
enough but the more the merrier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 09:07:30 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

lucky them ....

so what you are saying if you have no natural ability you shouldn't
bother
doing something that is hard for you? ....

Yes - it took me weeks to learn a Kraftwerk tune on a Casio CS1, but a
workmate borrowed Radar Love off me and played it note for note after a
couple of hours.

OK then...must have been what happened to brian reay then .....he gave up
trying

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 14 November 2016 10:14:13 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/11/2016 08:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 14 November 2016 07:57:52 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Made a bit of a schoolboy howler with the antenna though. The SWR reading was sky high which was down to the fact that I had bought a mobile antenna designed to be used on a car roof, which uses the metal as a ground plane. Just ordered a Sirio 827 instead to replace it.

If you add the radials I suggested, you should be OK. Even one may be
enough but the more the merrier.

I will have to shift the thing to the back of the garage as those radials are HUGE!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR240,320_.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Hall wrote :
Might be due to it being a mobile antenna that's meant to have a ground
plain.

Shhh - don't tell him..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 09:07:30 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

lucky them ....

so what you are saying if you have no natural ability you shouldn't
bother
doing something that is hard for you? ....

Yes - it took me weeks to learn a Kraftwerk tune on a Casio CS1, but a
workmate borrowed Radar Love off me and played it note for note after a
couple of hours.

OK then...must have been what happened to brian reay then .....he gave up
trying

Nope, he's still very trying.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Monday, 14 November 2016 10:14:13 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:
On 14/11/2016 08:14, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 14 November 2016 07:57:52 UTC, Brian Reay wrote:

Don't worry about it being not quite vertical, RF wise it will make no
difference.

Made a bit of a schoolboy howler with the antenna though. The SWR
reading was sky high which was down to the fact that I had bought a
mobile antenna designed to be used on a car roof, which uses the metal
as a ground plane. Just ordered a Sirio 827 instead to replace it.

If you add the radials I suggested, you should be OK. Even one may be
enough but the more the merrier.

I will have to shift the thing to the back of the garage as those radials
are HUGE!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....SR240,320_.jpg

You dont have to have radials, there are verticals that do fine without
radials.
http://www.kb6nu.com/choosing-an-hf-vertical/

Plenty commercially available for CB, used for fixed installations like
yours

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Simon Mason writes
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 08:42:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:57 PM, Simon Mason wrote:
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to
use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be
good to go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

nice burner

Thought you might have spotted that the channel frequencies are wrong
for the UK.

Surely Ch19, 27.125MHz, is one of those new-fangled EU/CEPT CB channels
- which have been legal in the UK for several years?

--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 18 November 2016 23:45:11 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
Simon Mason writes
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 08:42:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:57 PM, Simon Mason wrote:
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to
use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be
good to go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

nice burner

Thought you might have spotted that the channel frequencies are wrong
for the UK.

Surely Ch19, 27.125MHz, is one of those new-fangled EU/CEPT CB channels
- which have been legal in the UK for several years?

I have fixed it now - note the "U".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxmlngjWEAA2pYp.jpg

I think I went over the top with the radials, HI.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxml4a6WIAE39M9.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Simon Mason" wrote in message
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 08:42:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:57 PM, Simon Mason wrote:
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to use
two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be good
to go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

nice burner

Thought you might have spotted that the channel frequencies are wrong for
the UK.

what is "wrong" these days? ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Simon Mason writes
On Friday, 18 November 2016 23:45:11 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message ,
Simon Mason writes
On Sunday, 13 November 2016 08:42:14 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 11/12/2016 6:57 PM, Simon Mason wrote:
Antenna took an hour (picture to follow) to install and I had to
use two whopping big 12V PSUs to power the radio and amp.

Just got to fit an external speaker, set up the SWR and we will be
good to go.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxFSPAOWEAQzMzJ.jpg

nice burner

Thought you might have spotted that the channel frequencies are wrong
for the UK.

Surely Ch19, 27.125MHz, is one of those new-fangled EU/CEPT CB channels
- which have been legal in the UK for several years?

I have fixed it now - note the "U".

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CxmlngjWEAA2pYp.jpg

Nothing to fix. 27.185 (which is what I meant to put) is one of the
now-legal CEPT frequencies.

I think I went over the top with the radials, HI.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cxml4a6WIAE39M9.jpg

For 27MHz, the radials should be a quarterwave long (about 9 feet).
Those certainly don't seem to be anything like it. Even a single
quarterwave radial will probably be much better than that wrecked
umbrella affair.

But how long is the aerial? It looks like it's at least a halfwave. If
it IS a halfwave, radials probably won't make much difference. On the
other hand, if it's a 5/8-wave or (heaven forbid) a 3/4-wave, you WILL
need the radials - but, again, they should be about a quarterwave long.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 19 November 2016 09:14:19 UTC, Ian Jackson wrote:

But how long is the aerial? It looks like it's at least a halfwave. If
it IS a halfwave, radials probably won't make much difference. On the
other hand, if it's a 5/8-wave or (heaven forbid) a 3/4-wave, you WILL
need the radials - but, again, they should be about a quarterwave long.

It is 5/8, so they are staying on.

http://www.kcb.co.uk/shop2/contents/en-uk/p42.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 21:52:59 -0800, Simon Mason wrote:

[...]

You've got the wrong bit vertical ;-)