John Stumbles

Default Plumbing shower booster pump without connecting to electric supply mains

"Ghazali" wrote in message
om...

---8---

Anyway, in retrospect, having the 2.25 bar (as oppose to being lower)
was a blessing because for some reason the rerouting (due to different
bath position) of the 22mm cold feed from the loft storage has
resulted in very poor cold pressure. (The shower mixer doesn't even go
on when you press the mixer/shower button due to such bad pressure).

You mean the _pump_ doesn't turn on when you press the button on the
bath/shower mixer tap ? So how do you get the pump to turn on?

I assume you have separate cold feeds from the tank, one for the hot water
(going into the bottom of the HW cylinder) and another for the cold taps in
the bathroom. I also assume your plumber has taken the cold feed to the pump
from the cold supply to the taps.

suspect its an airlock, but it could also be the pump. My plumber
tried to suck out the airlock with some but insufficient success. He
also tried to blow it out from the top (near the tank itself).
Subsequent to this I have tried to cover up the mixer with my hand
whilst opening up the hot to try and let the hot run up the cold pipes
- even this has failed.

Which it would, if they are both fed from the same tank in the roof and are
therefore at the same pressure. You can use that trick on a kitchen tap to
clear an airlock in the HW side because the cold is at mains pressure.

Still, my point is, at least the pump gives me
a decent flow.

If I can't solve this problem of bad cold flow (and also the noise of
the pump)I am thinking of doing the following......its controversial,

---8---

I'd get the cold water supply sorted out. If it's an airlock you can test
for and fix it by connecting mains cold water via a hose into a cold tap
whilst checking at the tank in the roof to see if air is blown out of the
connector at the bottom of the tank. This'll show that there was an airlock
and clear it. I'd want to examine the pipework run to try and eliminate
airlocking in future.

Rob Nicholson

2.25bar? You like an invigorating shower then, or is the shower upstairs
from the pump?

I've just fitted a 2 bar pump (the 2.25 bar one from Screwfix was DOA) and
it's just right through my bathstore.com shower head. I was tempted to fit a
smaller one but glad I didn't in the end.

Rob.

Ghazali

"Rob Nicholson" wrote in message ...
2.25bar? You like an invigorating shower then, or is the shower upstairs
from the pump?

I've just fitted a 2 bar pump (the 2.25 bar one from Screwfix was DOA) and
it's just right through my bathstore.com shower head. I was tempted to fit a
smaller one but glad I didn't in the end.

Rob.

Where is the pump located ?

Have you placed it on top of a concrete block or not.

Is it very loud?
Rob Nicholson

Where is the pump located ?

Right under the bath at the front in the middle. It's a bath-shower design
so there's a reasonable amount of space there. It's a bit tight with all the
pipes running through to the basin and bath taps (directly above).

Have you placed it on top of a concrete block or not.

Nope - the instructions say don't fix it down so we haven't. Sits directly
on top of waterproof plywood which is in turn screwed into the floorboards
(ready for tiling rest of floor). Only thing holding it in place is the
pipes coming out of the top.

On this model (and the screwfix 2.25 bar one), they supplied push-fit
plastic pipes coming out of the top. They also suggest using as few 90
degree bends as possible. The fact that these push-fit pipes stick up about
8" meant that we would have to have used two very tight bends to get the
pipes back down - they might also have fouled against the side of the bath
which leans out towards the top. Therefore, we've replace the push-fit pipes
with flexible metal braid connectors. Bit pricey but makes removing the pump
far easier. Might put one little screw in there.

Is it very loud?

Well this is the biggest surprise of all - it's no where near as loud as I
was expecting. I've fitted the Wickes pumps in the past and they sound like
a jet engine. The B&Q 2.0 bar one is very quiet - recommended.

Cheers, Rob.

PS. Don't know how loud the 2.25 bar Screwfix was as it never worked :-(

Shower Pump Martin UK diy 2 January 26th 04 10:23 PM
Shower pump for can type shower head. steve UK diy 3 January 16th 04 11:38 AM
Shower pump, whole bathroom? Simon Avery UK diy 13 November 25th 03 10:09 AM
Generator Grounding PoP UK diy 10 November 13th 03 12:29 PM
shower pump in loft problem advice required Gary Holt UK diy 3 October 2nd 03 01:57 PM