BraileTrail

Default Central Heating Questions

Hi,

Is it OK to replace a Honeywell three port valve with one from another
manufacturer, say, Danfoss?

Danfoss make three port valves in a paddle type and a shoe type, what is
the difference and is one preferable to the other? I believe that the
Honeywell is a paddle type.

Finally, I was searching uk.diy from google for references (which I have
just failed to find again) to descaling boilers and I found a couple of
posts that suggested that conventional boilers don't really scale up,
why is this?

Thanks,
BraileTrail
Dave Plowman

In article ,
BraileTrail wrote:
Finally, I was searching uk.diy from google for references (which I have
just failed to find again) to descaling boilers and I found a couple of
posts that suggested that conventional boilers don't really scale up,
why is this?

Because there's no fresh water circulating round them, unless something is
leaking. And once the scale from the re-circulating water is deposited,
that's it.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn
Set Square

BraileTrail wrote:

Hi,

Is it OK to replace a Honeywell three port valve with one from another
manufacturer, say, Danfoss?

Yes.

Danfoss make three port valves in a paddle type and a shoe type, what
is the difference and is one preferable to the other? I believe that
the Honeywell is a paddle type.

There are 2 basic types of 3-port valves. One type switches between hot
water and central heating, and can't run both at the same time. The other
type has a mid position and so can provide just hot water, just central
heating or both together. Make sure you replace like with like -
function-wise.

Finally, I was searching uk.diy from google for references (which I
have just failed to find again) to descaling boilers and I found a
couple of posts that suggested that conventional boilers don't really
scale up, why is this?

Thanks,
BraileTrail

The primary circuit keeps circulating the same water rather than drawing in
fresh - so there's only a limited amount of limescale in it - and once
that's been deposited, that's that!
--
Cheers,
Set Square

BraileTrail

Thanks for the information.

In message , Set Square
writes
Is it OK to replace a Honeywell three port valve with one from another
manufacturer, say, Danfoss?

Yes.

Great.

There are 2 basic types of 3-port valves. One type switches between hot
water and central heating, and can't run both at the same time. The other
type has a mid position and so can provide just hot water, just central
heating or both together. Make sure you replace like with like -
function-wise.

Yep, I understand that. I was just curious about the difference between
the "paddle valve" and the "shoe valve". I know that a "paddle valve" is
the one with the offset "rubber" ball on a stick, but I can't imagine
what a "shoe valve" is. They are both three port mid position valves by
the way.

Thanks again,
BraileTrail
BraileTrail

In message , Dave Plowman
writes
Because there's no fresh water circulating round them, unless something is
leaking. And once the scale from the re-circulating water is deposited,
that's it.

OK, thanks. I have a very noisy Ideal Elan 2 boiler of about 1989 / 1990
vintage and my first thought was that it had scaled up as we live in a
very hard water area. I have just moved in to the house and there is
some signs of historical leakage from a joint near the three port valve
but that seems to have sealed itself. I think I will clean away the
green grime and keep an eye on it.

I think it was one of your posts that I found yesterday, I can't seem to
find it again today!

Thanks,
BraileTrail

Michael Chare

"BraileTrail" wrote in message
Hi,

Is it OK to replace a Honeywell three port valve with one from another
manufacturer, say, Danfoss?

Yes. Certainly Danfoss themselves claim this, but make sure that you order a
valve with the correct wiring/microswitches. You might also want to check that
the body length is the same.

Danfoss make three port valves in a paddle type and a shoe type, what is
the difference and is one preferable to the other? I believe that the
Honeywell is a paddle type.

One difference is that with the shoe type the motor body is directly above the
centre line of the pipe, whereas with the paddle type the motor body is offset.

No harm in phoning Danfoss themselves.

Michael Chare