ANt

Default Kitchen Floor Units and Granite - Secure before template ?

Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

....should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated
and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or
after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge)
?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before
:-)

Ant.
Toby

ANt wrote:
...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before

I'd choose template after fixing units. You can adjust a unit should you
need, but the granite....
Anyway that's how Bob Vila does it.
http://www.bobvila.com/BVTV/HomeAgai...1409-01-0.html

--
Toby.

enuff

"ANt" wrote in message
om...
Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated
and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or
after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge)
?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before
:-)

Ant.

Definately secure your cabinets first, then template with 6mm ply. Just make
sure your cabinets are 100% even and level first and that you put in the
extra supports for the granite if you have cut outs etc.

Tony

Andy Hall

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 12:41:19 -0000, "enuff"
wrote:

"ANt" wrote in message
. com...
Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated
and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or
after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge)
?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before
:-)

Ant.

Definately secure your cabinets first, then template with 6mm ply. Just make
sure your cabinets are 100% even and level first and that you put in the
extra supports for the granite if you have cut outs etc.

Tony

Better to get the granite supplier to do the templating, then if they
f*ck up it's their issue to resolve.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Jonathan Pearson

ANt wrote:
Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated
and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or
after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge)
?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before
:-)

Having just gone through the process of templating and fitting our own
granite worktops, I'd follow the advice of the granite supplier, and secure
first, our supplier used a CNC milling machine and as such the granite was
the exact shape of the template, thus make sure that your templates are
exact i.e follow any out of aligned walls, have correct overhang, have
rounded corners templated, sink / tap holes etc. Our supplier even went to
the trouble of making sure that the upper and lower chamfer (square &
chamfer edge) on an internal cornered joint matched the corresponding one on
the other slab.

Other things to note, is that granite is unbelievably heavy, so make sure
units are well fixed to wall / well supported.

Jon

Simon

"ANt" wrote in message
om...
Hi all...

the Kitchen project moves a little further on :-)

...should the Floor Units be secured before the Granite is templated
and fitted (too allow template to be based on fixed parameters)...or
after (to allow the units to be adjusted to the bit that won't budge)
?

Fitter says secure after Granite.....Granite guy says secure before
:-)

Ant.

your fitter is talking poop ..... secure the units

enuff

wrote:

"ANt" wrote in message
[...]

Good point, except on my first kitchen they wanted about £200 to do the
templates against a supply only cost of about £1000. They then wanted about
another £200 to fit them and we had no joints in any of the tops, just lay
the slabs on a bed of gripfill and that was it!

Still, if its a complicated job or you're not 101% confident its worth
passing the risk.

Tony

Michael Chare

"enuff" wrote in message

Definately secure your cabinets first, then template with 6mm ply. Just make
sure your cabinets are 100% even and level first and that you put in the
extra supports for the granite if you have cut outs etc.

and make sure that the sides are vertical - perhaps by fitting doors

Michael Chare

ANt

Thanks for the advice guys. My suggestion was to secure the units
first...so I'll reiterate that.

Good points about the extra supports, I'd read a few posts suggesting
this and once the base units are in I'll ask him to baton any gaps
out.

The supplier is doing the templating so I'll also ask them to point
out any areas where extra support is required in case we've missed
anything.

Cheers,
Ant.