Adrian Simpson

Default Fridge Freezers

Now at the stage where about the only thing left to do with the kitchen
is to get a new fridge freezer. Looking for a 50/50 built in jobby.

I've been having a rummage around on the web and have come across a
bewildering number of suppliers, whose prices seem fairly consistent
(and about 75% of the electrical sheds). So I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions for online supplies to use or avoid. I prefer to
use "real" shops, but with savings in the region of £100-200 (depending
on model) in the offing, it looks as though this online shopping might
have something going for it.

TIA

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Andy Hall

On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 10:58:26 +0000, Adrian Simpson
wrote:

Now at the stage where about the only thing left to do with the kitchen
is to get a new fridge freezer. Looking for a 50/50 built in jobby.

I've been having a rummage around on the web and have come across a
bewildering number of suppliers, whose prices seem fairly consistent
(and about 75% of the electrical sheds). So I was wondering if anyone
had any suggestions for online supplies to use or avoid. I prefer to
use "real" shops, but with savings in the region of £100-200 (depending
on model) in the offing, it looks as though this online shopping might
have something going for it.

TIA

Adrian

For domestic appliances, shops offer no value at all apart from being
able to go and look at some models before you buy.

In most cases, manufacturers are doing direct to customer delivery to
reduce cost since the more hands and warehouses something passes
through, the more the cost and the more likely it is to get damaged.

In effect, whether you buy from a shop or an on-line place, an order
gets entered on the manufacturer and you receive the product usually
directly from the manufacturer more and more.

As far as service is concerned, either manufacturers have their own
operation or they sub it out to local one man operations.

So, the only issue is protecting yourself in the event of an issue
with the purchase. your contract is with the shop or the online
seller, not the manufacturer. You can protect yourself quite
effectively by buying with a credit card - this way the card company
becomes liable with the seller so that even if the seller goes broke
you have protection With recent legislation on distance selling, you
have even more rights such as the ability to return goods for any
reason in a short time.

In terms of where to buy, I would just use Google. There are
numerous sites that will give you the best price - but don't rely on
one, then also they have reviews from individuals about how that
trader performs.

You may find places like John Lewis running the same higher prices on
line as in their stores, but then sweetening with a 5 year warranty or
something like that. If that's useful to you, then it may be a
factor in your decision.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Kerry Hoskin

despite my problems having a washing machine delivered in one piece from
Siemens (see earlier post), I ordered from BE Direct www.be-direct.co.uk
They have been very helpful in sorting out my problems with siemens, and
their prices are very good.

Kerry

wrote:

[...]

Adrian Simpson

In article , Kerry Hoskin
writes
despite my problems having a washing machine delivered in one piece from
Siemens (see earlier post), I ordered from BE Direct www.be-direct.co.uk
They have been very helpful in sorting out my problems with siemens, and
their prices are very good.

Kerry

Thanks for that, I'll bear them in mind.

Other suggestions still welcomed.

Adrian
--
To Reply :
replace "news" with "adrian" and "nospam" with "ffoil"
Sorry for the rigmarole, If I want spam, I'll go to the shops
Every time someone says "I don't believe in trolls", another one dies.
The Natural Philosopher

Adrian Simpson wrote:

In article , Kerry Hoskin
writes

despite my problems having a washing machine delivered in one piece from
Siemens (see earlier post), I ordered from BE Direct www.be-direct.co.uk
They have been very helpful in sorting out my problems with siemens, and
their prices are very good.

Kerry

Thanks for that, I'll bear them in mind.

Other suggestions still welcomed.

I got mine from something or other like direct electrical or summat.

The Liebherr model - built in.

It is much better than most you see down the sheds, and was shipped
direct - the vendor was just a broker.

Just google on liebherr fridge freezer and see who comes up.

Adrian

Christian McArdle

Other suggestions still welcomed.

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was
out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress
regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order
at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a
Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Christian.

Andy Hall

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 14:04:17 -0000, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

Other suggestions still welcomed.

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was
out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress
regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order
at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a
Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Christian.

Here is your clue.....

QUALITY ELECTRICAL DIRECT LTD
MILLER HOUSE
SHAW LANE
DONCASTER
SOUTH YORKSHIRE DN2 4SQ

MILLER BROTHERS (ELECTRICAL) LTD
MILLER HOUSE
SHAW LANE
DONCASTER
DN2 4SQ

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Christian McArdle

BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a Miller Brother's
van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Here is your clue.....

QUALITY ELECTRICAL DIRECT LTD
MILLER HOUSE

What a surprise! ;-)

Christian.

Lobster

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message . net...
Other suggestions still welcomed.

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was
out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress
regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order
at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a
Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Yup, owned by the same Millers. You'd think that QED would trumpet
the Miller Bros name to give themselves credibility as an online
supplier, however they go to great lengths to keep it under wraps,
presumably to stop customers in the shops demanding the QED price?
Interestingly they often use the 'Miller Bros' price as the high
street comparator price on QED - and Miller Bros themselves aren't
badly priced.

I've used QED a couple of times and they were really good. Only
disadvantage was you couldn't pick your delivery time; they give you a
date maybe a week in the future, presumably by which time they've got
enough orders in your area to make a drop-off worthwhile to them. But
a small price to pay for the savings.

David
Andy Hall

On 13 Jan 2004 11:23:00 -0800,
(Lobster) wrote:

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message . net...
Other suggestions still welcomed.

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was
out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress
regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order
at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a
Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

Yup, owned by the same Millers. You'd think that QED would trumpet
the Miller Bros name to give themselves credibility as an online
supplier, however they go to great lengths to keep it under wraps,

Not that hard. A look on both web sites reveals the same postcode in
Doncaster, and a search at Companies House gives the full addresses.

presumably to stop customers in the shops demanding the QED price?
Interestingly they often use the 'Miller Bros' price as the high
street comparator price on QED - and Miller Bros themselves aren't
badly priced.

I've used QED a couple of times and they were really good. Only
disadvantage was you couldn't pick your delivery time; they give you a
date maybe a week in the future, presumably by which time they've got
enough orders in your area to make a drop-off worthwhile to them. But
a small price to pay for the savings.

David

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Recommended QED to my Dad and the delivery was appalling but I bought
a cooker for my son from Appliance-world.co.uk and they were really
good and very competitive

John Rouse

In article , Christian
McArdle writes
Other suggestions still welcomed.

I used QED. One of the items (unusual integrated 1600 spin AAA Smeg WM) was
out of stock when ordered. However, they kept me informed of progress
regularly by email, and let me know that I could cancel or change my order
at any time should I wish. BTW, when the boxes arrived, they came in a
Miller Brother's van with a Miller Brother's delivery note.

I've known Miller Bros. since it was run by the Bros. and they have an
outstanding service record. I'm quite impressed at the way they've
transformed an old-fashioned family business into a twenty first century
one without losing touch with their customers.

John
--
John Rouse