gaz

Default Why does my fridge produce so much water?

A few months ago, we changed our fridge and freezer to a combined
fridge-freezer.
Apart from 'doing' the kitchen, one of the reasons for the change was the
large amount of water produced by the fridge. It was an L.G unit, and every
few weeks I had to empty the tray below the freezer compartment as it was
full of water. We are talking overflowing here, maybe a pint or so. I
passed it on to my mother as it was only around a year old.

Now the funny bit.

The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it. And..my mother has
had no problems with the L.G. fridge.

They were both reasonably level, not next to the cooker, not kept open
unduly, and do not (often) have warm things put in them. I notice there
seems to be condensation inside too.

Does anyone know what may be causing this please?

Tim Mitchell

In article , gaz
writes
[...]

Yes, you have very moist air in your kitchen and your mother doesn't.
Maybe time to open a window when cooking or get an extractor hood.
--
Tim Mitchell
Mungo \two sheds\ Toadfoot

"gaz" wrote in message
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it. And..my mother

has
had no problems with the L.G. fridge.

Mine does that if it's set too cold. We had it set to 3 (out of 5) in the
summer but I had to turn it down to just under 1 when it got colder because
of condensation and icing up at the back. Since turning it down it's been
fine.

Si

Woodspoiler

If turnign it down doesn't help, why don't you buy a cheap
humidity meter to check out the moist air idea? You can get them
in the gardening section of a DIY place and often they are part
of a mpoisture/thermometer pair.

The scale on ours is marked to show 45-70% as the normal range.
It only ever gets up to 70% in very humid weather; 50-55% is more
usual, less very dry weather.

Keeping one int he kitch for a while will tell you whether
humidity is unusually high there and may explain what is
happening.

W.

"Mungo "two sheds" Toadfoot"
wrote in message

"gaz" wrote in message
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now.

Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it.

And..my mother
has
had no problems with the L.G. fridge.

Mine does that if it's set too cold. We had it set to 3 (out of

5) in the
summer but I had to turn it down to just under 1 when it got

colder because
of condensation and icing up at the back. Since turning it down

it's been
fine.

Si

Zymurgy

"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote
"gaz" wrote
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it.

Mine does that if it's set too cold. We had it set to 3 (out of 5) in the
summer but I had to turn it down to just under 1 when it got colder because
of condensation and icing up at the back. Since turning it down it's been
fine.

I bought a fridge thermometer. I just turn the knob to keep the guage
in the 'green' range at the top of the fridge (the warmest bit). I've
never turned it above 2.

Cheers,

Paul.

gaz

"Tim Mitchell" wrote in message
In article , gaz
writes
[...]

We have an extractor hood, but don't do that much cooking (gets a dig from
the wife).
Would the small amount of air that gets inside the fridge make that much
difference?

gaz

"Zymurgy" wrote in message
om...
"Mungo \"two sheds\" Toadfoot" wrote
"gaz" wrote
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough

overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it.

Mine does that if it's set too cold. We had it set to 3 (out of 5) in

the
summer but I had to turn it down to just under 1 when it got colder

because
of condensation and icing up at the back. Since turning it down it's

been
fine.

I bought a fridge thermometer. I just turn the knob to keep the guage
in the 'green' range at the top of the fridge (the warmest bit). I've
never turned it above 2.

Cheers,

Paul.

We have one of these, its a 'card' which indicates the correct band. if
anything, it is a little on the warm side indicated.

gaz

"Woodspoiler" wrote in
message ...

wrote in message

"gaz" wrote in message
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now.

Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it.

And..my mother
has
had no problems with the L.G. fridge.

Mine does that if it's set too cold. We had it set to 3 (out of

5) in the
summer but I had to turn it down to just under 1 when it got

colder because
of condensation and icing up at the back. Since turning it down

it's been
fine.

Si

I may try this. The kitchen is well insulated and not cold.
The funny thing is, since the first fridge, I have rebuilt and extended the
kitchen to almost twice the size it was.
There is pvc windows and door, insulation in the loft, and the door to our
'living room' is usually open.

N. Thornton

someone wrote
The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough

overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it.

The other possible cause of that is putting open containers in the
fridge, where they continue to evaporate, the water being collected by
the cooler element.

Regards, NT
derek

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 11:11:14 +0000 (UTC), "gaz"
wrote:

A few months ago, we changed our fridge and freezer to a combined
fridge-freezer.
Apart from 'doing' the kitchen, one of the reasons for the change was the
large amount of water produced by the fridge. It was an L.G unit, and every
few weeks I had to empty the tray below the freezer compartment as it was
full of water. We are talking overflowing here, maybe a pint or so. I
passed it on to my mother as it was only around a year old.

Now the funny bit.

The new fridge freezer is also producing a lot of water now. Enough to
overflow the tray on the back designed to evaporate it. And..my mother has
had no problems with the L.G. fridge.

Maybe it's your habits! Not your Cloak & Hood garb BTW!

Such as putting hot food in the fridge in an open container. or
opening the fridge door a lot because of your routine. Maybe the new
fridge door doesn't close properly?

BTW I've never known a fridge (or freezer) with a condensate collector
that requires emptying, it's normally piped down to a dish that sits
on top of the compressor where it gets evaporated. This set up fails
frequently. Pipe gets blocked with slimy crud, pipe comes off, plastic
dish becomes embrittled and drops to bits. USW USW.

DG

gaz

wrote:

[...]

This was my first thought. So I stoped the wife from putting hot chickens in
( ready cooked from the shop ) and checked the door seal with a paper slip.
It is not open for long either.

BTW I've never known a fridge (or freezer) with a condensate collector
that requires emptying, it's normally piped down to a dish that sits
on top of the compressor where it gets evaporated. This set up fails
frequently. Pipe gets blocked with slimy crud, pipe comes off, plastic
dish becomes embrittled and drops to bits. USW USW.

DG

The L.G. fridge had a tray below the 'ice shelf' part which caught the
water, not sure if this was its primary function though.

The new fridg/freezer has a pipe to a sort of catch tray mounted on the
compressor. presumibly this is so the heat will eveporate the water? it
still overflows though.

BigWallop

"gaz" wrote in message

snipped

The L.G. fridge had a tray below the 'ice shelf' part which caught the
water, not sure if this was its primary function though.

The new fridg/freezer has a pipe to a sort of catch tray mounted on the
compressor. presumibly this is so the heat will eveporate the water? it
still overflows though.

Is the house ventilated properly ? With the fridge in the kitchen, and all
the cooking that goes on there, is the air in the room full of moisture ?
Do your windows steam up a lot ? Do you remove more of your top layers of
clothing when you enter the room ?

Is your wife in the habit of putting hot things straight in the fridge ?
Does anyone in the house leave the fridge door open to get light at night
when they take anything out the fridge ?

Place a couple of sheets of kitchen paper in the fridge, on the top shelf if
possible, and see if it take up any excess moisture from the fridge
compartment.

gaz

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"gaz" wrote in message

snipped

[...]

No to all the above, but I like the idea of soaking up the moisture. I'll
try one of those super sponges in there. Thanks.

Views on Potterton Suprema and Megaflow? Dave UK diy 20 November 14th 05 07:36 PM
Additional instantaneous hot water units connected to combi boilers Vince UK diy 1 November 7th 03 10:15 AM
Printer Reestit Mutton UK diy 16 October 31st 03 10:06 AM
Condensing-combi boilers Sapient Fridge UK diy 16 September 23rd 03 01:27 PM
Knocking from hot water tank... Adam UK diy 7 September 4th 03 03:51 PM