Ronnie Gibson

Default Radiator replacement timing

I've just had my conservatory flooded by a radiator leak while I was off on holiday. I'm a
DIY novice so I though I'd seek some wisdom here

I'm assuming I will have to replace the radiator. What I need to know is whether I can get
the ChemDry people in to clean up and possibly replace the carpet etc. before I replace
the radiator - I've closed the valves to stop any more water leaking out. Or would people
recommend getting the radiator switched first (which I'll need to wait for a few days to
do until I have time)?

Cheers
Ronnie

Christian McArdle

Or would people recommend getting the radiator switched first
(which I'll need to wait for a few days to do until I have time)?

I'd say radiator first. They and their valves have a habit of exuding black
filth when the unions are fiddled with.

Christian.

Set Square

Christian McArdle wrote:

Or would people recommend getting the radiator switched first
(which I'll need to wait for a few days to do until I have time)?

I'd say radiator first. They and their valves have a habit of exuding
black filth when the unions are fiddled with.

Christian.

I totally agree. Otherwise, it's likely you'll spill something nasty on the
newly cleaned carpet while changing the radiator.

You *are* sure, are you, that it's the radiator itself which is leaking -
and not the valves or pipework?
--
Cheers,
Set Square

Bob Mannix

"Ronnie Gibson" wrote in message

I've just had my conservatory flooded by a radiator leak while I was off

on holiday. I'm a
DIY novice so I though I'd seek some wisdom here

I'm assuming I will have to replace the radiator. What I need to know is

whether I can get
the ChemDry people in to clean up and possibly replace the carpet etc.

before I replace
the radiator - I've closed the valves to stop any more water leaking out.

Or would people
recommend getting the radiator switched first (which I'll need to wait for

a few days to
do until I have time)?

The first thing to do is to inform the insurance company. They will (with
luck) arrange everything and charge you the excess/wear and tear, which is
usually well worth it. In any case, is ANY claim is to be made they want to
know straight away and not have customer based delays involved.

In the unhappy case that you aren't insured, clearly you do the radiator
first!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)