PD

Default Inset Bar Fires - do they exist?

We're planning an extension onto an outside wall which currently has the
level (fan driven) flue from a living flame gas fire.
We haven't got much space for a vertical flue up to the roof and I.m not
too keen on the idea of removing some of the current outer bricks to help
this. I'm also instinctively not too keen on flueless gas fires (I know
this is bonkers and that they have an excellent safety record!).

We've decided that the best option is to switch to an electric fire in the
inset. But we quite like a cosy radiant heat. All the electric inset fires
I've seen have fan heaters as their heat source.

Anyone know if you can get inset electrical fires with bar elements for a
nice radiant heat? TIA for any suggestions.

--
Paul

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 15:28:46 -0000, "PD" wrote:

I'm also instinctively not too keen on flueless gas fires (I know
this is bonkers and that they have an excellent safety record!).

I'm not keen on them either. Winter is damp enough without burning
gas to add to it.

We've decided that the best option is to switch to an electric fire in the
inset. But we quite like a cosy radiant heat.

I haven't seen wire-wrapped elements for years, but the sort in a
quartz tube are still around. Personally I like the white ceramic
elements - lower temperature, so they radiate at a longer waverlength.
They tend to heat solid objects (like me) more than the air. Handy in
larger spaces or workshops. There are lots of radiant heaters around,
but either they're all "workshop" styled, or that's just the ones I
look at.

What does "cozy" mean ? Do you just want to feel radiant heat, or do
you want a cheery glowing object ?

--
Smert' spamionam
Suz

http://www.dimplex.co.uk/consumer/radiant.htm

Baxi fires P and H Macguire UK diy 4 January 13th 06 09:31 AM
Inset gas fires - query as to pipe run No-one UK diy 6 November 14th 03 09:18 PM
Do condensing gas fires exist ? Andrew UK diy 2 October 20th 03 08:34 AM
Sensor pipe on Baxi Bermuda inset 2 Jonathan Curtis UK diy 1 October 17th 03 09:21 PM
Installing inset spotlights Steve UK diy 1 September 12th 03 11:42 AM