NickW

Default Screwfix low energy bulb sizes

Does anyone know how long the 'candle' bulbs are in Scewfix's range.

I have a lot of wall lights in my house with conventional (40w
bayonet) candle shaped bulbs with little lightshades that sit on the
bulb. I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy
ones are too tall they will look silly.

Nick
Ian

"NickW" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know how long the 'candle' bulbs are in Scewfix's range.

I have a lot of wall lights in my house with conventional (40w
bayonet) candle shaped bulbs with little lightshades that sit on the
bulb. I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy
ones are too tall they will look silly.

Nick

Hi
personaly i would go to ikea as they noe stock low energy bulbs that match
the bulb they replacr in size an shape.
I have candle an small round ones from them and you wouldnt know once they
warm up.

Ian

Christian McArdle

I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy
ones are too tall they will look silly.

My experience of candle shaped low energy bulbs is that there is still a way
to go on sizes. I can't speak for the screwfix ones in particular, but the
GE ones, which are good make, would look OK in a chandalier, but hopeless on
a small light fitting. If you wait long enough, there might be LED types
that could do the trick.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

personaly i would go to ikea as they noe stock low energy bulbs that
match the bulb they replacr in size an shape.

Is this recently? The only Ikea bulbs I've seen have been very cheap, but
horrible looking prong based things that look nothing like lightbulbs.

Christian.

Ian

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
personaly i would go to ikea as they noe stock low energy bulbs that
match the bulb they replacr in size an shape.

Is this recently? The only Ikea bulbs I've seen have been very cheap, but
horrible looking prong based things that look nothing like lightbulbs.

Christian.

About 3 weeks ago at the Bristol branch.

Ian

Dave Gibson

"NickW" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know how long the 'candle' bulbs are in Scewfix's range.

I have a lot of wall lights in my house with conventional (40w
bayonet) candle shaped bulbs with little lightshades that sit on the
bulb. I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy
ones are too tall they will look silly.

Nick

I had the same problem but found Philips (among others) do a 9W (40W equiv)
bulb that has a much smaller glass envelope than a conventional bayonet GLS
bulb.They are from the ambiance range. I replaced all my walllight bulbs
with these just over a year ago as Tescos were then selling them for around
£3.65 each.

You can see how they look:-

http://www.rocketsox.plus.com/dynamic/walllights.html

HTH

Dave

Toby

Ian wrote:
"Christian McArdle" wrote in
Is this recently? The only Ikea bulbs I've seen have been very
cheap, but horrible looking prong based things that look nothing
like lightbulbs.

About 3 weeks ago at the Bristol branch.

The 5w candles I have from the Leeds branch project 80mm and are 100mm long
overall. They are a little fatter at about 35mm but are rated for 10000
hours.
They do them in higher outputs as well, but this one is listed at 180
lumens.

They have some semi-opaque flexible membrane over the glass, presumably to
contain any breakage should this happen. The only downside is the white
plastic part has a lot of black printing on it which may be visible in some
installations.

From memory, the regular shaped bulbs now seem to have traditional shape
covering the usual coil arrangement.

--
Toby.

Colin

They have some semi-opaque flexible membrane over the glass, presumably to
contain any breakage should this happen. The only downside is the white
plastic part has a lot of black printing on it which may be visible in

some
installations.

I removed the writing from my Screwfix bulbs with wire wool. Looks much
better...

Colin

IMM

"Dave Gibson" wrote in message

"NickW" wrote in message
om...
Does anyone know how long the 'candle' bulbs are in Scewfix's range.

I have a lot of wall lights in my house with conventional (40w
bayonet) candle shaped bulbs with little lightshades that sit on the
bulb. I want to replace them all if possible but if the low energy
ones are too tall they will look silly.

Nick

I had the same problem but found Philips (among others) do a 9W (40W

equiv)
bulb that has a much smaller glass envelope than a conventional bayonet

GLS
bulb.They are from the ambiance range. I replaced all my walllight bulbs
with these just over a year ago as Tescos were then selling them for

around
£3.65 each.

You can see how they look:-

http://www.rocketsox.plus.com/dynamic/walllights.html

Can these be put on a dimmer?

---

Christian McArdle

Can these be put on a dimmer?

Almost certainly not, I'd imagine.

Christian.

N. Thornton

3w Screwfix candle bulb: 4.75" apx. Much longer.

Regards, NT
NickW

By the way, I just got a reply from Screwfix regarding the bulb sizes.
They say that they can't publish sizes for their bulbs because their
supplier is always changing.

Guess I'll have to go to a DIY shed or something and pay the extra 50p
or quid a bulb.

I did order their R80 spotlight bulbs though

NickW wrote:
By the way, I just got a reply from Screwfix regarding the bulb sizes.
They say that they can't publish sizes for their bulbs because their
supplier is always changing.

Guess I'll have to go to a DIY shed or something and pay the extra 50p
or quid a bulb.

Go to your local electrical wholesaler, prices will be similar to if
not cheaper than Screwfix and you can see the sizes. I find my local
Denmans Electrical is much the cheapest place to buy all sorts of
bulbs. They have a minimum charge of £5 for non-account customers but
that's hardly a problem.

--
Chris Green )
Owain

"Lobster" wrote
| One thing which annoys me about low-energy bulbs is the slow
| warm-up time

I actually like that, especially in a bedroom. Horses, courses, etc.

Owain

Lobster

(NickW) wrote in message . com...
By the way, I just got a reply from Screwfix regarding the bulb sizes.
They say that they can't publish sizes for their bulbs because their
supplier is always changing.

Guess I'll have to go to a DIY shed or something and pay the extra 50p
or quid a bulb.

Have you tried looking
https://coopersofstortford.co.uk ?

They do various types; I bought some tiny eco-bulbs from them
recently, first ones I've found which will fit inside my outside
bulkhead fittings (which is great news as it's a PITA to change the
bulbs - ladders/screwdrivers/rain/cold...!)

David

Changing a light bulb jay UK diy 11 October 18th 03 08:28 PM
Screwfix foam gun problems! Steve North UK diy 1 September 23rd 03 03:37 PM
GE Energy Saving Light Bulbs JimM UK diy 16 September 9th 03 06:08 PM
Screwfix :-( Ian UK diy 13 September 3rd 03 06:15 PM