The Natural Philosopher

Default Loft aerials

Andy Hall wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 16:20:24 +0000, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

On 9 Dec 2003 04:53:48 -0800, (Martin
Pentreath) wrote:

Many thanks for the advice, I guess it's a try-it-and-see situation,
but at least I'm better informed now :-)

It is, unless you want to get a professional in.

Try it over a week or two and also on different channels. The
behaviour can vary according to which frequency is used and with the
weather.

That is so true....I point about south east towards Sudbury, and fither
than sudbury...lies Holland and Belgium, and in cold dry weather,
channel 5 (low power anyway) goes all stripey, with signals coming fom
Le Continent ....nothing to be done, because they stand behind the
signal I want :-(

Except go freeview.digital, which may happen soon, and hope teh S/N
ratio is adequate.

Did you try Sandy Heath? I guess that that is only a bit further and
would be at 90 degrees to the continental signals?

No, I can't get Sandy Heath at all. Well I CAN but at much lower signal
strength, and channel 5 doesn't work on sandy heath anyway. Cambridge
has a repeater at Madingley for it, but that is useless to most of the
sandy heath service area. Sudbury is far closer to me. AND its on a
hill, and so am I..just over the watershed between the Ouse river and
the Orwell/stour river systems on the Stour side.

FM os not so good - Tacolneston is my best bet it seems, and that is a
fair old way. Neverthjeless I can get most of what I want - all the BEEB
and local radio from there and classic FM.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Neil Jones

The Natural Philosopher wrote in message ...

Except go freeview.digital, which may happen soon, and hope teh S/N
ratio is adequate.

I tried Freeview and found that there was never more than 1 channel I
wanted to watch at any one time. Out of about 30 channels, this is a
pretty poor signal/noise ratio :-)
Bob Mannix

"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...
The Natural Philosopher wrote in message

Except go freeview.digital, which may happen soon, and hope teh S/N
ratio is adequate.

I tried Freeview and found that there was never more than 1 channel I
wanted to watch at any one time. Out of about 30 channels, this is a
pretty poor signal/noise ratio :-)

Err, how many channels do you want to watch at one time? Not that I am
championing the quality of current TV, you understand, but Freeview gives me
perfect Channel 5, *occasional* programs I actually want to watch on BBC3,
BBC4, ITV2 (plus 24hr news and parliament when/if you want it). Were I
paying monthly I would probably object, but a one off payment of less than
the licence fee seems reasonable for the S/N ratio!

--
Bob Mannix
(anti-spam is as easy as 1-2-3 - not)

Neil Jones

"Bob Mannix" wrote in message ...
"Neil Jones" wrote in message
m...
The Natural Philosopher wrote in message

Except go freeview.digital, which may happen soon, and hope teh S/N
ratio is adequate.

I tried Freeview and found that there was never more than 1 channel I
wanted to watch at any one time. Out of about 30 channels, this is a
pretty poor signal/noise ratio :-)

Err, how many channels do you want to watch at one time?

I *knew* I was leaving myself open for that one. Perhaps I should have
said "never more than one, but usually fewer." :-)

Cheers

Neil
James Hart

Neil Jones wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote in message

Except go freeview.digital, which may happen soon, and hope teh S/N
ratio is adequate.

I tried Freeview and found that there was never more than 1 channel I
wanted to watch at any one time. Out of about 30 channels, this is a
pretty poor signal/noise ratio :-)

I bought a TIVO, at any moment in time if I wish to watch TV there's always
something on that I want to watch, and it becomes commercial free.

--
James...
http://www.jameshart.co.uk/

Strange noise from loft.. Diphthong UK diy 21 December 7th 03 04:14 PM
4" roof joists @ 30cm spacing - planning to board out loft David Hearn UK diy 12 November 9th 03 02:38 PM
Loft Insulation - Best Type and Tips for Installation L Reid UK diy 22 October 19th 03 10:26 PM
Loft door hardware Andrew McKay UK diy 3 August 25th 03 12:50 AM
Fitting A Loft Ladder Andrew McKay UK diy 4 July 14th 03 06:10 PM