Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Loud clattering noise from freezer when compressor starts

Our Bosch fridge freezer has started to make a loud and ominous
clattering noise as the compressor starts up, it then continues to run
quietly. There's a recording of it on my Google Drive
http://tinyurl.com/zn24cyv

The compressor starts up with a loud rattle about 3 seconds into the
soundtrack after which the compressor can be heard running quietly,
there's another loud clunk at 11 seconds followed by a subdued click at
about 15 seconds. Before this started happening I think it used to start
up with a single clunk, similar to but quieter than the one at 11
seconds, followed by a click similar to the one at 15 seconds.

The noise doesn't happen every time it starts which makes me think it
might be associated with the changeover valve for switching between
fridge and freezer.

Any thoughts on the likely cause and whether it's a sign of impending
total failure. The freezer is an old ( 20 years) frost free one and
logic suggests this is probably the time to be replacing it but none of
the likely models currently on the market seem to offer such good
flexibility of storage space so we're tempted to consider a repair if
it's practicable.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 16:20:23 +0100, Mike Clarke
wrote:

[...]

After 20 years it may just be the rubber mounts on the compressor have
perished/worn..

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

I get this on my chest freezer when the compressor stops and the back
pressure virtually stalls the motor on the power is removed. On start up
the there should be no significant pressure on the output of the
compressor and should start smoothly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

Almost certainly the compressor is on the way out. 20 years is not bad.
In a past life I used to repair refrigeration and once fitted new mountings
for a problem such as yours, even though they looked okay.
I wasted my time, the compressor was on the way out.
A new compressor is your call. Don't.
Sorry .................

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 16:20:26 UTC+1, Mike Clarke wrote:
[...]

A bit of rubber should fix it. It's just suspension deteriorating.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

wrote:

[...]

But can I add that some of these motors run both forwards and reverse.
That stops the cooling fans getting clogged with dust. (I have no idea
how the compressor works when run either way, but clearly somebody
figured out a system.) It starts up randomly going either forwards or
reverse.

If the rubber mounts on just one side have perished, it would explain
why it only makes a clattering sound sometimes, ie half the time,
depending on which way it's running.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 16:20, Mike Clarke wrote:

Our Bosch fridge freezer has started to make a loud and ominous
clattering noise as the compressor starts up, it then continues to run
quietly.

Oh well, the problem has sort of resolved itself now in that it's packed
up completely.

The compressor cuts in and hums loudly for just a few seconds every ten
minutes or so. Despite appearing to be inactive for most of the time the
casing of the compressor is permanently warm.

Looks like an emergency shopping trip tomorrow :-(

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Mike Clarke writes:
On 23/10/2016 16:20, Mike Clarke wrote:

Our Bosch fridge freezer has started to make a loud and ominous
clattering noise as the compressor starts up, it then continues to run
quietly.

Oh well, the problem has sort of resolved itself now in that it's packed
up completely.

The compressor cuts in and hums loudly for just a few seconds every ten
minutes or so. Despite appearing to be inactive for most of the time the
casing of the compressor is permanently warm.

If it has an external start or run capacitor, it may be that
this has died. They're only a few quid. You might even be able
to nick one from something else, such as an old fluorescent
lamp which may have one if it uses a magnetic ballast.

Test it by running a 60w or 100w filament lamp in series with it.
It should run dimmer than normal.
If it's either full brightness, or doesn't light at all, the capacitor
is dead.

Not all fridge/freezer compressor motors use an external capacitor.

Looks like an emergency shopping trip tomorrow :-(

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

compressor mounting grommets perished? I had an Hitachi that had this, but
fixing it only lasted a few months before things like thermostats started
acting up and plastic cracking in the freezer part. I guess after many years
things do not like being disturbed.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

compressor mounting grommets perished? I had an Hitachi that had this, but
fixing it only lasted a few months before things like thermostats started
acting up and plastic cracking in the freezer part. I guess after many
years things do not like being disturbed.

Much more likely just bad design was endemic in that product.

I've still got a GE fridge that’s almost as old as me and I'm no
spring chicken. Still works fine but I stopped using it when I got
****ed off with the manual defrost and decide that its much less
efficient than decent modern fridges.