Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Air conditioner making loud noise

Hi,

We have a Friederich 18200 BTU through the wall air conditioner on the
main floor of our house. It cools the entire first floor and has been
a great AC for us for over 12 years. It runs on a 240 volt line which
was properly installed when we had our kitchen remodeled.

Recently it started making this loud vibrating noise like the fan
couldn't get started or was somehow out of balance. I would compare
it to the sound of a washing machine when the load is unbalanced.
Sometimes it wouldn't even run the fan at level 1 so I would put it up
to level four (the fan has 4 speeds) and then the fan would kick in
but it would be really loud and vibrate a lot. The cooling part works
fine, it is just the fan that is having problems.

Then it just started working again and today it is working fine
again. It was broken like this for the last 5 days. All of those
days were quite hot.

I remember this happening once last summer and it fixed itself and we
made it through.

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea what might cause this kind
of vibration in the fan and why it could just get better on its own
without any service.

Thanks in advance,
Steve
Posted to alt.home.repair

* Dust collects on the fins, of the fanblade. Some of the
dust may have shaken loose. Dust interfered with air flow,
and makes the blades off balance.
* Fan blade can rub on other parts of the unit.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

HeyBub wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Reasonable guess is that the bearings in the fan need
oiling/greasing/replacing.

I agree completely. If you take apart the fan and remove the bearings, A bearing
shop can sell you the replacements. It cost me less than $20 to do this on a
window A/C. If there are oil holes, oiling is the first thing to try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'd be very surprised if the bearings are replacable. I've
had enough window AC apart, they aren't really designed to
be serviced. Flush them out with solvent, and then use the
proper bearing lube is good. That is, "if" the OP has the
tools and repair skills to do so.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Bob F"
wrote in message ...

I would appreciate if anyone has any idea what might
cause this kind
of vibration in the fan and why it could just get better
on its own
without any service.

Reasonable guess is that the bearings in the fan need
oiling/greasing/replacing.

I agree completely. If you take apart the fan and remove the
bearings, A bearing
shop can sell you the replacements. It cost me less than $20
to do this on a
window A/C. If there are oil holes, oiling is the first
thing to try.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2011 7:25 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
* Dust collects on the fins, of the fanblade. Some of the
dust may have shaken loose. Dust interfered with air flow,
and makes the blades off balance.
* Fan blade can rub on other parts of the unit.

I wonder if he had a wasp nest on the fan blade? :-)

TDD