J-Man

Default Air Conditioner makes Loud Hum when starts then goes away

I am a new home owner and I am starting to understand why my Dad got
frustrated all those years when something broke in the house. I have
just bought a townhome here in Houston. The compressor units are
mounted on the roof. When the AC starts, there is a loud humming noise
(i assume it is the compressor starting up) for about 15 seconds and
then it drowns out. It cools fine and works great other than the
noise. My neighbor is complaining to me saying it creates to much
noise. What causes this loud hum when it starts? I know that there is
always going to be some kind of hum, when it starts, but this is out of
the ordinary. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Joseph

~^Johnny^~

--
-john
wide-open at throttle dot info
PrecisionMachinisT

"J-Man" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a new home owner and I am starting to understand why my Dad got
frustrated all those years when something broke in the house. I have
just bought a townhome here in Houston. The compressor units are
mounted on the roof. When the AC starts, there is a loud humming noise
(i assume it is the compressor starting up) for about 15 seconds and
then it drowns out. It cools fine and works great other than the
noise. My neighbor is complaining to me saying it creates to much
noise. What causes this loud hum when it starts? I know that there is
always going to be some kind of hum, when it starts, but this is out of
the ordinary. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Suggest let him pay to inspect and fix it, if its indeed broken........

--

SVL

meirman

In alt.home.repair on 26 Jul 2005 21:12:00 -0700 "J-Man"
posted:

I am a new home owner and I am starting to understand why my Dad got
frustrated all those years when something broke in the house. I have
just bought a townhome here in Houston. The compressor units are
mounted on the roof. When the AC starts, there is a loud humming noise
(i assume it is the compressor starting up) for about 15 seconds and
then it drowns out.

I'm not sure what you mean. Drowns out what? AFAIK, "drowns out"
must be followed by another noise. The first noise is louder than the
second and drowns the second noise out so that the second noise can't
be heard.

Maybe you mean it fades out?

It cools fine and works great other than the
noise. My neighbor is complaining to me saying it creates to much
noise. What causes this loud hum when it starts? I know that there is
always going to be some kind of hum, when it starts, but this is out of
the ordinary. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Joseph

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.
Jmagerl

It happened to me when the idiot A/C guy over charged the system. Get a pro
to check it out. IF that is the case, eventually the compressor will die
causing a much bigger repair bill. As far as I could tell the idiot did not
compensate for ambient temperature when he filled the system during the last
service call (it was a cold day).

"J-Man" wrote in message
ups.com...
I am a new home owner and I am starting to understand why my Dad got
frustrated all those years when something broke in the house. I have
just bought a townhome here in Houston. The compressor units are
mounted on the roof. When the AC starts, there is a loud humming noise
(i assume it is the compressor starting up) for about 15 seconds and
then it drowns out. It cools fine and works great other than the
noise. My neighbor is complaining to me saying it creates to much
noise. What causes this loud hum when it starts? I know that there is
always going to be some kind of hum, when it starts, but this is out of
the ordinary. Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Thanks.

Joseph

Joseph

The First loud hum fades out to a low hum.

Joseph

Thanks, I will have an AC guy check it out.