Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Life on Mars

So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Probably didn't have the right paperwork.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 October 2016 13:13:13 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

I blame BREXIT.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 21 October 2016 13:13:13 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

I blame BREXIT.

Quite similar. Unlikely to have a soft landing.

--
*Suicidal twin kills sister by mistake.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/10/2016 13:13, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Intelligent life, but not as we know it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Don't be daft there are two rovers rolling around on the surface that the
Americans put there. There are numerous orbiting devices from europe, India
and America. I doubt they could hide away.
No I'd suggest that the altimeter was giving misleading results and the
parachute was jettisoned and the rockets fired early resulting in a very
hard landing. Of course it could have been a malfunctioning rocket that
tipped it as it did not go off correctly or indeed it blew up. The end
result was the same however a damaged spacecraft. The Beagle 2 made a good
landing on its airbags years ago, but the solar panel deployment failed.
A lot of dust in the Martian atmosphere of course and its known to cause
issues to actuators and motors.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"Muddymike" wrote in message
news
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 21/10/2016 15:05, Brian-Gaff wrote:
Don't be daft there are two rovers rolling around on the surface that the
Americans put there.

The 'mercans are in league with the Martians against the EU. Simple as
that. Why do you need a complicated explanation concerning dust in the
Martian atmosphere when a simple conspiracy theory will do?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2016 15:05, Brian-Gaff wrote:
There are numerous orbiting devices from europe, India
and America.

Would that be the same India that is allowed to delay sorting out HFCs
as it's a 'poor' country? Like China? Two countries with space and
nuclear programmes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Chris Hogg
escribió:

Probably still sore that they got their imperial and metric units
confused on their Mars orbiter mission in 1999, so made sure the ESA
mission suffered a similar fate by hacking the software that
controlled the time the reverse thrusters were firing, simply by
inserting a decimal point and making 30 seconds become 3.0 seconds.

I think you might not be too far off the mark there. Dumped the
parachute too early, then fired the landing thrusters for too short a
time = a RUD (rapid unscheduled disassembly (c) Elon Musk).

Pretty sure we'll hear it was a programming error or similar.

It's all a conspiracy, I tell you!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2016 13:13, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Well, it's a god-awful small affair.

Cheers
--
Syd

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Friday, 21 October 2016 13:13:13 UTC+1, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

I blame BREXIT.

Quite similar. Unlikely to have a soft landing.

Smooth, It's smooth. Not hard, not soft, smooth.
Do keep up.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 20:26:08 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 21/10/2016 13:13, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Well, it's a god-awful small affair.

I may be mistaken but I do believe that's a David Bowie reference. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

F news@nowhere wrote
Brian-Gaff wrote

There are numerous orbiting devices from europe, India and America.

Would that be the same India that is allowed
to delay sorting out HFCs as it's a 'poor' country?

That isnt the reason. They refused to get involved in
that initially because they clearly industrialised much
later than the west did and wanted to have the same
opportunity to keep doing that as the west did.

Like China?

China has since decided to do that.

Two countries with space and nuclear programmes.

And better both than Britain has.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 02:41, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 20:26:08 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 21/10/2016 13:13, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Well, it's a god-awful small affair.

I may be mistaken but I do believe that's a David Bowie reference. :-)

I may be mistaken but I do believe that's a My Way reference ...

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

said the girl with the mousy hair...
However ahem..
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/news.php?feature=6658

Camera on Mars Orbiter Shows Signs of Latest Mars Lander
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
October 21, 2016

[Images]
This comparison of before-and-after images. This comparison of
before-and-after
images shows two spots that likely appeared in connection with the Oct.
19, 2016, Mars arrival of the European Space Agency's Schiaparelli test
lander. The images are from the Context Camera on NASA's Mars Reconnaissance
Orbiter. Image credit: NASA/JPL-Caltech/MSSS

NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter has identified new markings on the
surface of the Red Planet that are believed to be related to Europe's
Schiaparelli test lander, which arrived at Mars on Oct. 19.

The new image shows a bright spot that may be Schiaparelli's parachute,
and a larger dark spot interpreted as resulting from the impact of the
lander itself following a much longer free fall than planned, after
thrusters
switched off prematurely. It was taken by the Context Camera (CTX) on
NASA's Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter and is available online, as a
before-and-after
comparison with an image from May 2016, at:

http://mars.nasa.gov/multimedia/images/?ImageID=8131

The location information gained from acquiring the CTX image will be used
for imaging the site with the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter's High Resolution
Imaging Science Experiment (HiRISE) camera. European Space Agency (ESA)
and NASA researchers will analyze the images for information about the
sequence of events on Schiaparelli's landing day, possibly supplementing
data transmitted from the test module during its descent.

The location of the bright spot interpreted as the parachute is 353.79
degrees east longitude, 2.07 degrees south latitude, closely matching
ESA's calculation for the landing location based on landing-day data.
This is within the planned landing area and about 3.3 miles (5.4 kilometers)
west of the center of the landing target. A dark spot is larger and
elliptical,
approximately 50 by 130 feet (15 by 40 meters). It may be where the lander
reached the surface and exposed darker ground.

The test lander is part of ESA's ExoMars 2016 mission, which placed the
Trace Gas Orbiter into orbit around Mars on Oct. 19. The orbiter will
investigate Mars' atmosphere and provide relay communications capability
for landers and rovers on the surface.

With CTX, HiRISE and four other instruments, the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter
has been investigating Mars since 2006.

Malin Space Science Systems, San Diego, built and operates CTX. NASA's
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, a division of Caltech in Pasadena, California,
manages the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter Project for NASA's Science Mission
Directorate, Washington. Lockheed Martin Space Systems, Denver, built
the orbiter and collaborates with JPL to operate it.

News Media Contact
Guy Webster
Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, Calif.
818-354-6278

Markus Bauer
European Space Agency, Villanueva de la Cañada, Spain
0031 61 594 3 954

Dwayne Brown / Laurie Cantillo
NASA Headquarters, Washington
202-358-1726 / 202-358-1077
/

2016-278

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Adrian Caspersz" wrote in message
On 22/10/16 02:41, Johnny B Good wrote:
On Fri, 21 Oct 2016 20:26:08 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 21/10/2016 13:13, Muddymike wrote:
So it seems there must be life on Mars. They shot down Europe's
Schiaparelli lander so as to remain undiscovered.

Mike

Well, it's a god-awful small affair.

I may be mistaken but I do believe that's a David Bowie reference. :-)

I may be mistaken but I do believe that's a My Way reference ...

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/2016 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
said the girl with the mousy hair...

My circuits dead there's something wrong!

:-)

Mike

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2016 09:20, Muddymike wrote:
On 22/10/2016 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
said the girl with the mousy hair...

My circuits dead there's something wrong!

:-)

Mike

You need to contact Major Tom.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 09:32:59 UTC+1, Bod wrote:
On 24/10/2016 09:20, Muddymike wrote:
On 22/10/2016 10:37, Brian Gaff wrote:
said the girl with the mousy hair...

My circuits dead there's something wrong!

:-)

Mike

You need to contact Major Tom.

He's a junkie now, I blame BREXIT.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , Mike Tomlinson
escribió:

Pretty sure we'll hear it was a programming error or similar.

and...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...s-probe-crash-
computer-glitch-exomars-schiaparelli-lander

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

escribió:

Pretty sure we'll hear it was a programming error or similar.

and...

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...s-probe-crash-
computer-glitch-exomars-schiaparelli-lander

It has been suggested they used earth atmospheric pressure to gauge the
height at which the braking stages activated!

Mike
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo ,
Muddymike escribió:

It has been suggested they used earth atmospheric pressure to gauge the
height at which the braking stages activated!

Whoops. Nearly as bad as mixing up imperial and metric.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mars_Climate_Orbiter

--
(\_/)

Is there SDS on Mars? polygonum UK diy 7 February 4th 13 11:52 AM
life in mars [email protected] UK diy 0 April 19th 09 08:52 AM
man seen on mars? saya Electronics Repair 1 January 25th 08 04:21 PM
Life on Mars Weatherlawyer UK diy 9 January 10th 06 10:39 PM
Woodturning on Mars ??? Paul Eisner Woodturning 8 April 27th 05 11:04 PM