Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB antenna problem

Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote

Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and
fit the antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use
the same antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

You can, but you need to use a splitter.

He may not realise that.

Rub his nose in what is done with more than one TV in a house.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same
antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

If you want your car DAB unit to perform well ignore the screen aerial and
get a proper DAB one. These are commonly roof mounted and active. Wideband
ones that also do FM and AM are available.

You can then use the screen one for your Nuvicam. Whatever that is.

--
*Aim Low, Reach Your Goals, Avoid Disappointment *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 October 2016 00:17:53 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same
antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

If you want your car DAB unit to perform well ignore the screen aerial and
get a proper DAB one. These are commonly roof mounted and active. Wideband
ones that also do FM and AM are available.

You can then use the screen one for your Nuvicam. Whatever that is.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/traffic
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Since I have no idea what one of the latter is, I'd imagine you need to ask
him. One thing I will say though is that through glass capacitive coupled
aerials are crap.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Simon Mason" wrote in message
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna
to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same
antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

If you want your car DAB unit to perform well ignore the screen aerial and
get a proper DAB one. These are commonly roof mounted and active. Wideband
ones that also do FM and AM are available.

You can then use the screen one for your Nuvicam. Whatever that is.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/traffic

Do these ever do anything useful? I've got a new Gamin Satnav which
shows traffic conditions and I would say it's accurate less than 10% of
the time. I drove onto the M27 yesterday morning with the satnav showing
it clear. At the top of the sliproad was a mile long queue with the
speed limit indicators showing 60 and then 40.

Coming back through Chichester in the late evening rush hour the satnav
kept beeping at me warning me of queuing traffic at each of the five
roundabouts on the A27. Three were clear, the other two had a couple of
cars waiting ahead! Queue? What queue?

If it really has a 1 minute refresh rate it doesn't seem to b paying
much attention.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same
antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

If you want your car DAB unit to perform well ignore the screen aerial and
get a proper DAB one. These are commonly roof mounted and active. Wideband
ones that also do FM and AM are available.

You can then use the screen one for your Nuvicam. Whatever that is.

http://www.garmin.com/en-GB/traffic

Do these ever do anything useful? I've got a new Gamin Satnav which
shows traffic conditions and I would say it's accurate less than 10% of
the time.

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

The Google maps free realtime traffic app on a smartphone seems to be
more accurate than the dedicated Garmin - at least on the roads I drive.

It is sometimes wrong but the evidence of sweeping up bits of cars is
usually still present even if the traffic is moving again. What is
noticeable is the extent to which rubbernecking screws traffic flow on
both carriageways when there is an incident on only one.

It underestimates distance to phantom shockwaves running along dense
traffic too since it is always a couple of minutes behind but overall it
can save a lot of time if you know some route is impassable or
horrendously slow soon enough to avoid it.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote:
[...]

According to the settings on the Garmin it downloads info from
TrafficMaster:
(redirects to) http://www.teletracnavman.co.uk/

It is sometimes wrong but the evidence of sweeping up bits of cars is
usually still present even if the traffic is moving again. What is
noticeable is the extent to which rubbernecking screws traffic flow on
both carriageways when there is an incident on only one.

It underestimates distance to phantom shockwaves running along dense
traffic too since it is always a couple of minutes behind but overall it
can save a lot of time if you know some route is impassable or
horrendously slow soon enough to avoid it.

Trouble is, as so many drivers use modern satnavs with alternative
routing you usually end up in another traffic jam on minor roads with
all those trying to avoid the original jam!

Too many cars, not enough road. :-(

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2016 11:03, Jeff Layman wrote:

Trouble is, as so many drivers use modern satnavs with alternative
routing you usually end up in another traffic jam on minor roads with
all those trying to avoid the original jam!

Never use the diversion the satnav suggests. Find one further out.

I have a new Tom Tom and the warnings of hold-ups are 90% accurate. It's
very good.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/10/2016 21:46, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the antenna to the windscr

een, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna to feed my
Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

He could if he wanted to, but the results would be poor. The signal from
a windscreen aerial are terrible anyway compared to a proper roof
aerial, so add splitter loss to that and you might as well use a bit of
wet string. Worse than useless. Then they blame the DAB coverage. Pillocks.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/10/2016 21:46, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscr

een, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna to feed my
Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

He could if he wanted to, but the results would be poor. The signal from
a windscreen aerial are terrible anyway compared to a proper roof
aerial, so add splitter loss to that and you might as well use a bit of
wet string. Worse than useless. Then they blame the DAB coverage.
Pillocks.

Yes. I've had DAB for ages in one car - but with the correct aerial. And
round London and the SE, reception is miles superior to FM. As regards the
ultimate audio quality, I'm not sure anyone would notice any difference in
a car. Except that DAB doesn't distort like FM with multipath.

--
*Time is fun when you're having flies... Kermit

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

It just drops out completely when you drive up the A1 away from London
(even with a decent external DAB aerial). Sometimes it goes into
Stingray mode with the R4 presenters apparently gargling on air

The only thing DAB does better is the silent gaps inbetween programs!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
Yes. I've had DAB for ages in one car - but with the correct aerial.
And round London and the SE, reception is miles superior to FM. As
regards the ultimate audio quality, I'm not sure anyone would notice
any difference in a car. Except that DAB doesn't distort like FM with
multipath.

It just drops out completely when you drive up the A1 away from London
(even with a decent external DAB aerial).

How far up the A1? But mine will swop to FM automatically if it looses the
DAB signal. Must admit I don't use the A1 much.

Sometimes it goes into
Stingray mode with the R4 presenters apparently gargling on air

Far better than FM when driving between tall buildings, etc. No multipath
effects.

But no radio reception can ever be perfect at all times. Just look at
mobile phones - despite the billions spent on that infrastructure.

--
*I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 October 2016 15:18:58 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
[...]

0430 UTC: BBC Worldservice on local DAB - burbling. On local FM 95.9 kHz -keeps cutting out. On 6005 kHz from Ascension Island - 100% copy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , "Dave Plowman (News)"
writes
In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the
antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same
antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

If you want your car DAB unit to perform well ignore the screen aerial and
get a proper DAB one. These are commonly roof mounted and active. Wideband
ones that also do FM and AM are available.

I have a screen mounted DAB aerial on my radio It's powered and works
well.
You can then use the screen one for your Nuvicam. Whatever that is.

--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Since I have no idea what one of the latter is, I'd imagine you need to ask
him. One thing I will say though is that through glass capacitive coupled
aerials are crap.
Brian

Indeed they are a proper body mounted aerial way out performs a window
one. Seen this in two way radio applications over many years..

--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
tony sayer wrote:
In article , Brian Gaff
scribeth thus
Since I have no idea what one of the latter is, I'd imagine you need to
ask him. One thing I will say though is that through glass capacitive
coupled aerials are crap.
Brian

Indeed they are a proper body mounted aerial way out performs a window
one. Seen this in two way radio applications over many years..

Never did understand the fashion for window aerials - even factory ones.
Was obvious from the start they didn't work as well as a roof one.
Had a BMW with two of them and diversity reception. Not as good as a
single roof one - despite the clever electronics.

--
*Remember not to forget that which you do not need to know.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 October 2016 14:44:35 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Never did understand the fashion for window aerials - even factory ones.
Was obvious from the start they didn't work as well as a roof one.
Had a BMW with two of them and diversity reception. Not as good as a
single roof one - despite the clever electronics.

My Nuvicam is designed to work in any car, hence the fly lead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvYPzmXWgAUOToe.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 22 October 2016 14:44:35 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Never did understand the fashion for window aerials - even factory
ones. Was obvious from the start they didn't work as well as a roof
one. Had a BMW with two of them and diversity reception. Not as good
as a single roof one - despite the clever electronics.

My Nuvicam is designed to work in any car, hence the fly lead.

Yes. It has to be suitable for any idiot to fit it.

--
*I'm not being rude. You're just insignificant

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 22 October 2016 16:07:36 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Simon Mason wrote:
On Saturday, 22 October 2016 14:44:35 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Never did understand the fashion for window aerials - even factory
ones. Was obvious from the start they didn't work as well as a roof
one. Had a BMW with two of them and diversity reception. Not as good
as a single roof one - despite the clever electronics.

My Nuvicam is designed to work in any car, hence the fly lead.

Yes. It has to be suitable for any idiot to fit it.

Even this guy can't fit one and he's an expert.

http://www.kingstoncarsound.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason scribeth thus
On Saturday, 22 October 2016 14:44:35 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Never did understand the fashion for window aerials - even factory ones.
Was obvious from the start they didn't work as well as a roof one.
Had a BMW with two of them and diversity reception. Not as good as a
single roof one - despite the clever electronics.

My Nuvicam is designed to work in any car, hence the fly lead.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvYPzmXWgAUOToe.jpg

Well any piece of metal will work as an aerial, but some pieces of metal
are much more efficient than others...
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/10/2016 09:14, Simon Mason wrote:

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue
and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after
committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30
minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on
surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
On 21/10/2016 09:14, Simon Mason wrote:

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes
previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I
avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue
and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after
committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30
minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on
surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
On 21/10/2016 09:14, Simon Mason wrote:

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes
previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I
avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue
and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after
committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30
minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on
surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

They don't need internet access - just a source of traffic information
that is overlaid on to the maps already on the device

I have TT on my my android smart phone and it gets traffic data over the
phone network. The disadvantage with this is in areas with poor mobile
phone coverage. In one part of the country that I visit on a regular
basis I can travel 10 miles without reliable phone coverage and the
traffic information will suddenly appear when its too late to do
anything about it. Its also one reason why I don't now use the phones
positioning which is a mix of the internal medium sensitivity GPS and
phone mast information. I have a dedicated sensitive GPS unit mounted at
the base of the windscreen communicating via bluetooth to the phone.

There are dedicated TT units that can get 'live' traffic information but
there also units without this facility.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 09:34:30 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

There are dedicated TT units that can get 'live' traffic information but
there also units without this facility.

My Nuvicam does this.

http://static.garmincdn.com/emea/com...ivetraffic.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
On 21/10/2016 09:14, Simon Mason wrote:

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes
previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I
avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue
and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after
committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30
minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on
surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data
connection as well?

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/16 09:34, alan_m wrote:

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

They don't need internet access - just a source of traffic information
that is overlaid on to the maps already on the device

I have TT on my my android smart phone and it gets traffic data over the
phone network.

Not via IP?

So of cpourse you need a smartphone.

The disadvantage with this is in areas with poor mobile
phone coverage. In one part of the country that I visit on a regular
basis I can travel 10 miles without reliable phone coverage and the
traffic information will suddenly appear when its too late to do
anything about it. Its also one reason why I don't now use the phones
positioning which is a mix of the internal medium sensitivity GPS and
phone mast information. I have a dedicated sensitive GPS unit mounted at
the base of the windscreen communicating via bluetooth to the phone.

There are dedicated TT units that can get 'live' traffic information but
there also units without this facility.

Well since I don't have or want a smart phione, it looks to me that I
need a system that does its own 'phoning'

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
On 21/10/2016 09:14, Simon Mason wrote:

It is so accurate that it warns me of traffic that vanished 10 minutes
previously, so you have to use your loaf. If I get such a report, I
avoid the area anyway as a matter of course.

If it's anything like TomTom it will warn of a 20 minute traffic queue
and offer the alternative of a clear route to avoid. Five minutes after
committing to the alternative route TT it will then warn of the 30
minute queue on that route.

Around my way a problem on a major route results in grid lock on
surrounding alternative routes within a very short time.

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data
connection as well?

No, you can buy a TomTom with it's own data connection, but if you have a
Smart Phone, why not use that instead of buying a more expensive unit and
paying an annual subscription.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
[...]

But I dont have a smart phone and I dont want a smart phone

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
[...]

then you buy a Tom Tom that has its own dat connection. Simple, really.

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data
connection as well?

No, you can buy a TomTom with it's own data connection, but if you have a
Smart Phone, why not use that instead of buying a more expensive unit and
paying an annual subscription.

My Tom tom - not a latest model - has an aerial as part of the power lead
from the fag lighter socket. That picks up traffic information. And has
been said, of limited use. It may or may not get you round a holdup. Same
as using traffic information from the radio or anywhere else. For that to
be of use it has to be bang up to date. And until every car has a tracker
and on a central database, it will always be variable.

--
*i souport publik edekashun.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want
to.

Reason I bought mine was the pretty respectable snapshot camera. If I
could have bought a basic phone with one, I'd have done so.

--
*What hair colour do they put on the driver's license of a bald man? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want
to.

Reason I bought mine was the pretty respectable snapshot camera. If I
could have bought a basic phone with one, I'd have done so.

agred it fine for snap shots, but I have a"proper" camera for "real"
photographs.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has
its uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you
don't want to.

Reason I bought mine was the pretty respectable snapshot camera. If I
could have bought a basic phone with one, I'd have done so.

agred it fine for snap shots, but I have a"proper" camera for "real"
photographs.

Thing with a phone is you tend to carry it at all times. A 'proper'
camera, likely not. And the best pics don't always wait for you to go and
get it. ;-)

--
*What am I? Flypaper for freaks!?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
In article ,
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
charles wrote:
I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has
its uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you
don't want to.

Reason I bought mine was the pretty respectable snapshot camera. If I
could have bought a basic phone with one, I'd have done so.

agred it fine for snap shots, but I have a"proper" camera for "real"
photographs.

Thing with a phone is you tend to carry it at all times. A 'proper'
camera, likely not. And the best pics don't always wait for you to go and
get it. ;-)

True - but I was luck last evening. The sun stayed where it was just long
enough for me to get my real camera. In any case I didn't have my phone
with me.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/10/16 19:54, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Stop arguing and just get one i felt the same now i wouldn't be without
it!.

Motorola Moto G that is no Apple crapple here thanks
--
Tony Sayer

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
charles wrote:
Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data
connection as well?

No, you can buy a TomTom with it's own data connection, but if you have a
Smart Phone, why not use that instead of buying a more expensive unit and
paying an annual subscription.

My Tom tom - not a latest model - has an aerial as part of the power lead
from the fag lighter socket. That picks up traffic information. And has
been said, of limited use. It may or may not get you round a holdup. Same
as using traffic information from the radio or anywhere else. For that to
be of use it has to be bang up to date. And until every car has a tracker

The vast bulk of them do, the mobile phones in the car.

and on a central database,

Got that too, google tracking those.

it will always be variable.

It will be even with those, most obviously
where there is no alternative route that
doesnt get choked with the diverted traffic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 October 2016 16:45:24 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Stop arguing and just get one i felt the same now i wouldn't be without
it!.

Motorola Moto G that is no Apple crapple here thanks
--

I have one of these which does not need a mobile phone signal and will work anywhere in the world.

http://amzn.to/2dAzKab