Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DAB antenna problem

On 23/10/2016 11:17, charles wrote:

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 02:53:09 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/10/2016 11:17, charles wrote:

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

Bill

I live without a phone now as I use the correct tool for the job.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill Wright wrote
charles wrote

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want
to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

You can say the same thing about the landline
phone, the computer, books, cars, planes etc etc etc.

And you dinosaurs always did.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Bill Wright wrote
charles wrote

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want
to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

I live without a phone now

More fool you.

as I use the correct tool for the job.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 03:33:06 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
Simon Mason wrote
Bill Wright wrote
charles wrote

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want
to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

I live without a phone now

More fool you.

as I use the correct tool for the job.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

This was the correct tool back in 1996 - where were your silly smartphone GPSs then?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cee4DhuW8AEJZo2.jpg
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Simon Mason wrote
Bill Wright wrote
charles wrote

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has
its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't
want to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

I live without a phone now

More fool you.

as I use the correct tool for the job.

Even sillier than you usually manage.

This was the correct tool back in 1996

Irrelevant to what makes sense today.

- where were your silly smartphone GPSs then?

Irrelevant to what makes sense today.

I designed my house using printed material mostly, in the very
early 70s and had enough of a clue to have a mini just after I
moved in, then replaced that with a PC, and then added mobile
phones when they became practical, and have now been thru
3 smartphones because they do what they do much better.

You're actually stupid enough to be still dinosauring away
with is next steaming turd, LONG after decent smartphones
have left it for dead. I did have a couple of those stand alone
GPSs but got a clue when smartphone left them for dead and do
everything in a much smaller device and a hell of a lot more too.
And does that sort of photo rather better than what you are using too.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Cee4DhuW8AEJZo2.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 09:26:13 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
I did have a couple of those stand alone
GPSs but got a clue when smartphone left them for dead and do
everything in a much smaller device and a hell of a lot more too.

Did you type that on a screen that measures 3'' by 5'' by any chance? LOL.

(Sorry for all the typos and wrong words but my Wizzbang Mk12's screen is SO small and the predictive text is a right pain when you are on the Tube with someone's elbow in your ear).

My Acer Aspire S7 doesn't have that problem and it uses FTTP so it needs no stupid signal that drops out left, right and centre all day long.

Correct tool you see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
Rod Speed wrote

I did have a couple of those stand alone GPSs but got a clue
when smartphones left them for dead and do everything in
a much smaller device and a hell of a lot more too.

Did you type that on a screen that measures 3'' by 5'' by any chance?

Sometimes I do, when I need to do that on a portable device.

LOL.

Village eejut imitations cut no mustard around here.

(Sorry for all the typos and wrong words but my Wizzbang Mk12's
screen is SO small and the predictive text is a right pain when you
are on the Tube with someone's elbow in your ear).

Predictive text works fine when you get a clue.

My Acer Aspire S7 doesn't have that problem and it uses FTTP so it needs
no stupid signal that drops out left, right and centre all day long.

My signal never drops out at all, ever, even when out and
about on the garage/yard sale run, updating my personal
facebook group that lists the current garage/yard sales
and which I update as they open and when I know the exact
street number that most dont include in the newspaper ad.

And I have the system copy the newspaper ads to that group
so anyone who wants to do the garage/yard sale run doesnt
even have to buy their own copy of the paper, just get a much
better list from my facebook group.

Correct tool you see.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

****ed compared with a decent smartphone when you are out and about.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Oct 2016 11:38:26 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

snip

My Tom tom - not a latest model - has an aerial as part of the power lead
from the fag lighter socket. That picks up traffic information. And has
been said, of limited use. It may or may not get you round a holdup. Same
as using traffic information from the radio or anywhere else. For that to
be of use it has to be bang up to date. And until every car has a tracker
and on a central database, it will always be variable.

My Garmin Nuvi has similar and I tend to use it (the traffic bit)
manually. eg. If it says the road ahead is clear I generally assume it
to be true and continue on the / my route. If it says there are delays
on it's plotted route I'll zoom the screen out and see where it says
they are and see if I can work around it myself (often there are at
least a couple of routes between A and B with pros and cons with
each). The delays are often known / regular and present because that,
even with the delays, that is still the best / quickest route. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 12:46:06 UTC+1, T i m wrote:

My Garmin Nuvi has similar and I tend to use it (the traffic bit)
manually. eg. If it says the road ahead is clear I generally assume it
to be true and continue on the / my route. If it says there are delays
on it's plotted route I'll zoom the screen out and see where it says
they are and see if I can work around it myself

Happened to me in Romania driving from Brasov to Sighisoara via DN7C in June. Cops were sending cars away from a multiple pile up and GPS was trying to send me back up the same road to the crash site.

30 miles up the road I zoomed out and saw another route that did not involve the pile up and we got there 2 hours late, but were not gridlocked.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2016 03:10, Simon Mason wrote:

I live without a phone now as I use the correct tool for the job.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Quite a pocketful.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2016 00:35, Sam Plusnet wrote:
In article ,
says...

Do tomtoms have their own internet access then?

no, but they can have mobile phone access

Oh, so as well as a tom tom you have to buy a mobile phone with a data
connection as well?

No, you can buy a TomTom with it's own data connection, but if you have a
Smart Phone, why not use that instead of buying a more expensive unit and
paying an annual subscription.

It may or may not be a more expensive model , but my
Tomtom with its own data connection does not require an
annual subscription.

They do nag me to pay for traffic camera data, but that's
a different story.

TomTom have got varying pricing policies.

My phone app cost around £30 and it was meant to have free maps and free
traffic/speed camera info for life. 18 months later they withdrew the
offer and released a new app. (end of life for the app) Existing users
were able to 'upgrade' with 3 years of maps/data/camera for around $1.

I have had a dedicated TT but map upgrades were expensive. Occasionally
they offered cheap map upgrades but with a large gotcha - they would
only install if you had previously installed the expensive quarterly
updates.

Also watch out for some of the lower specified units. They come with a
fixed amount of internal storage with no facility for any extra storage.
The supplied map justs fits the storage available. They will offer free
for life map updates BUT the new maps may be larger than the storage
available and to get the new map you first have to remove the old one!

Even with the more expensive models that can take a micro SD card the
internal memory may just large enough to take a map. When upgrading the
map the supplied TT software for the PC ignores the additional SD card
and says not enough memory for the upgrade. There are ways around this
which involve copying the whole of the TT operating system to the SD
card and then pretending that the SD is the TT unit. The PC software
then sees say, 30G, of free space on the SD card for a 5G map.

While I think that the TT interface is possibly one of the better ones,
I've tried I don't rate TT as a customer friendly or trustworthy company.

I note that most taxi drivers around my way all use Co-pilot as their
GPS of choice.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 24 October 2016 23:25:20 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

My phone app cost around £30 and it was meant to have free maps and free
traffic/speed camera info for life. 18 months later they withdrew the
offer and released a new app. (end of life for the app) Existing users
were able to 'upgrade' with 3 years of maps/data/camera for around $1.

My Nuvicam is LMT-D meaning you get free map updates for life.

http://bit.ly/2epIiF2
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 24/10/2016 03:10, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 24 October 2016 02:53:09 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/10/2016 11:17, charles wrote:

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

Bill

I live without a phone now as I use the correct tool for the job.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Morphy Richards ???????

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/10/2016 18:23, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 23 October 2016 16:45:24 UTC+1, tony sayer wrote:

Stop arguing and just get one i felt the same now i wouldn't be without
it!.

Motorola Moto G that is no Apple crapple here thanks
--

I have one of these which does not need a mobile phone signal and will work anywhere in the world.

http://amzn.to/2dAzKab

Until the battery goes flat. :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 25 October 2016 12:36:24 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 24/10/2016 03:10, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 24 October 2016 02:53:09 UTC+1, Bill Wright wrote:
On 23/10/2016 11:17, charles wrote:

I didn't think I wanted a Smart Phone - but I bought one and it has its
uses. But you don't need to use the extra facilities if you don't want to.

How humans lived before smartphones I just don't know.

Bill

I live without a phone now as I use the correct tool for the job.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CpPg860WcAATn9k.jpg

Morphy Richards ???????

It is very rare as it has DRM on it - don't know of any other that does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILtFAGSTPqA
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Simon Mason writes
On Monday, 24 October 2016 23:25:20 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:

My phone app cost around £30 and it was meant to have free maps and free
traffic/speed camera info for life. 18 months later they withdrew the
offer and released a new app. (end of life for the app) Existing users
were able to 'upgrade' with 3 years of maps/data/camera for around $1.

My Nuvicam is LMT-D meaning you get free map updates for life.

http://bit.ly/2epIiF2

My Garmin satnav also offers free map upgrades for life. Odd though that
new major roads around here which have been open for over 12 months
still don't show up.
--
bert
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 21:46:21 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the antenna to the windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna to feed my Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

Bloody amazing - will pick up LW/MW/FM and DAB far better than roof antenna.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvsuPKyWIAECTtX.jpg:large
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/10/2016 14:57, Simon Mason wrote:
On Thursday, 20 October 2016 21:46:21 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
Bloke is going to fit my SONY DAB car radio into my 159 and fit the antenna to the

windscreen, but he says that he cannot use the same antenna to feed my
Nuvicam's DAB traffic 3.5mm socket.

Why not?

Bloody amazing - will pick up LW/MW/FM and DAB far better than roof antenna.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CvsuPKyWIAECTtX.jpg:large

What will, trees?

Bill