Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

Default Cleaning oven exhaust fan

Have an electric fan oven which has an vent fan mounted above the grill
element.
In terms of construction it resembles a boiler fan, not surprisingly it
is absolutely caked in burnt on grease. The bearings were free, but the
fan blades were catching on the residue.
I've managed to clean it enough that it rotates freely but I'd like to
clean it more thoroughly.
Problem is that it's an alloy housing, would leaving it in a bag with
some ammonia solution be a Bad Thing? I guess Caustic is out for the
same reason.

If it comes to it, a replacement fan is surprisingly reasonably priced,
so it's not worth too much effort
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 19:47:28 UTC+1, Lee wrote:

Have an electric fan oven which has an vent fan mounted above the grill
element.
In terms of construction it resembles a boiler fan, not surprisingly it
is absolutely caked in burnt on grease. The bearings were free, but the
fan blades were catching on the residue.
I've managed to clean it enough that it rotates freely but I'd like to
clean it more thoroughly.
Problem is that it's an alloy housing, would leaving it in a bag with
some ammonia solution be a Bad Thing? I guess Caustic is out for the
same reason.

If it comes to it, a replacement fan is surprisingly reasonably priced,
so it's not worth too much effort

Boiling softens the crap so it can be scraped off, if you can remove the housing. Dishwasher also gets some off.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 22:22:02 UTC+1, Lee wrote:
On 18/10/2016 21:45, tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 19:47:28 UTC+1, Lee wrote:

Have an electric fan oven which has an vent fan mounted above the grill
element.
In terms of construction it resembles a boiler fan, not surprisingly it
is absolutely caked in burnt on grease. The bearings were free, but the
fan blades were catching on the residue.
I've managed to clean it enough that it rotates freely but I'd like to
clean it more thoroughly.
Problem is that it's an alloy housing, would leaving it in a bag with
some ammonia solution be a Bad Thing? I guess Caustic is out for the
same reason.

If it comes to it, a replacement fan is surprisingly reasonably priced,
so it's not worth too much effort

Boiling softens the crap so it can be scraped off, if you can remove the housing. Dishwasher also gets some off.

I can remove the stator/frame and the top bearing from the housing but
the fan is very securely press fitted to the rotor shaft and
unfortunately I cannot remove the rotor or the lower bearing without
destroying it

The rotor and fan would probably survive the dishwasher quite happily,
but I don't think the bearing will

I've put whole motors through a dishwaher before now as a last resort. They survived, but it's a small sample set. I expect wrapping the motor well in plastic would help. Maybe holding the fan over a kettle would soften enough, I don't know.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Gets it all off with my kitchen exhaust fan, but very
alkaline so not good for if the fan is aluminium.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
[...]

Surely using what is used to clean ovens would be safer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 23:35:53 UTC+1, Rod Speed wrote:
tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

ali pans are fine in a dishwasher.

Surely using what is used to clean ovens would be safer.

That's caustic soda, it's a no-no for ali.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

tabbypurr wrote in message
[...]

Wrong with the anodised stuff.

Surely using what is used to clean ovens would be safer.

That's caustic soda,

Plenty of it isnt.

it's a no-no for ali.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 18 Oct 2016 19:47:25 +0100, Lee wrote:

Problem is that it's an alloy housing, would leaving it in a bag with
some ammonia solution be a Bad Thing? I guess Caustic is out for the
same reason.

Ammonia will etch the aluminium.

Perhaps a aluminium wheel cleaner, for alloy rims on automobiles?

Most alloy wheels are alloy with a coat of paint, powdercoat, or whatever, but
I'd expect a cleaner to not attack unprotected aluminium -- as it would be in
scratched rim. Still, I wouldn't leave it on for long without testing it for a
short period first...

Thomas Prufer

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Lee is offline

That isnt a politically correct way to talk about the
wife and she is unlikely to fit in the dishwasher.

Well that's true

Continual cleaning v/s Self Cleaning oven Which is better? RC Home Repair 35 March 11th 20 10:47 PM
Self cleaning oven to hot? Art Todesco Home Repair 5 May 19th 10 01:05 PM
oven cleaning [email protected] UK diy 3 December 30th 07 09:48 AM
Self Cleaning Oven - Just Say NO!! Charles Pisano Home Repair 21 September 16th 06 04:23 PM
Do They Still Make Small Stove/Oven Exhaust Fans Pamela G. Home Repair 8 April 22nd 06 08:38 PM