Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Burglar alarm bell box

Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

When I fitted them years ago, the dummies were different. They omitted
the backplate that fixes to the wall, instead having a lip along the
bottom with screw holes for fixings. They wouldn't fit the non-dummy
backplates.

This style:

http://kentsecurityandelectrical.co...._siren_box.jpg

Things may be different now, however. And there's a far wider variety
of different styles available.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

A further thought... am I correct in suspecting that the dummy boxes are
minus tamper switches?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

F wrote:
On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

A further thought... am I correct in suspecting that the dummy boxes are
minus tamper switches?

Pointless fitting a taper switch in a dummy box. I doubt that they are
even vaguely weather proof either.
Unsuitable as a replacement housing.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 18:48, Bob Minchin wrote:
F wrote:
On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

A further thought... am I correct in suspecting that the dummy boxes are
minus tamper switches?

Pointless fitting a taper switch in a dummy box.

That's what I thought.

I doubt that they are even vaguely weather proof either.
Unsuitable as a replacement housing.

And that's what I wanted to know.

I just need to find a box, then, without the innards that I've already
got in the damaged box.

Assuming the currently exposed-to-the-weather contents are going to survive!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Assuming the currently exposed-to-the-weather contents are going to survive!

The old-style boxes had to have the components (siren, SCB, tamper
snitch) fitted separately. If it's a horn-type siren and the installer
was daft enough to have fitted it with the horn pointing up, there's no
way it'll have survived the weather.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

If possible I would ask the sounder manufacturer if the dummy will do
what you want. You may well find that the innards of your box have
corroded anyway. They are not that expensive to replace. The alarm
sounder that I have can be put into a standby mode using the control
panel so that you can take the cover off without the tamper switch
setting it off.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 19:07, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

Assuming the currently exposed-to-the-weather contents are going to survive!

The old-style boxes had to have the components (siren, SCB, tamper
snitch) fitted separately. If it's a horn-type siren and the installer
was daft enough to have fitted it with the horn pointing up, there's no
way it'll have survived the weather.

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Weren't daft, then were you?

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/10/2016 11:23, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
En el artículo , F
news@nowhere.? escribió:

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Weren't daft, then were you?

Not this time!

All I need now is a recommendation or two for a replacement non-dummy
box. Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards seem to be fairly common and
reasonably priced.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

news@nowhere.? escribió:

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Weren't daft, then were you?

Not this time!

All I need now is a recommendation or two for a replacement non-dummy
box. Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards seem to be fairly common and
reasonably priced.

Could I recommend Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards, as I have heard that
they seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Michael Chare Wrote in message:
On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
[...]

+1 get a box than be sent a hold-off signal from the panel.
That way you can remove all power for battery swap or whatever
without the bell box sounding.

Phil
--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 20:42, Michael Chare wrote:
On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

If possible I would ask the sounder manufacturer if the dummy will do
what you want. You may well find that the innards of your box have
corroded anyway. They are not that expensive to replace. The alarm
sounder that I have can be put into a standby mode using the control
panel so that you can take the cover off without the tamper switch
setting it off.

Maintenance mode on my panel also prevents the system from sounding.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 17:07, F wrote:
Probably a daft question, but I wanted to check...

I noticed earlier today that the top of the alarm bell box is missing!
Old and brittle plastic?

A search on Ebay comes up with what seems to be a choice of bell boxes
with sirens and LEDs inside, and 'dummy' bell boxes.

I don't need the innards so, will a dummy do the job? Is the 'dummy'
just the fully featured box minus the features?

If possible I would ask the sounder manufacturer if the dummy will do
what you want. You may well find that the innards of your box have
corroded anyway. They are not that expensive to replace. The alarm
sounder that I have can be put into a standby mode using the control
panel so that you can take the cover off without the tamper switch
setting it off.

Maintenance mode on my panel also prevents the system from sounding.

Yes, but the sounders are a bit independent. Mine would go off if
tampered with even if the panel was in engineer mode. I have to use
engineer mode to switch the strobe off and on a few times in quick
succession if I want to take the cover off the sounder.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news@nowhere.? escribió:

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Weren't daft, then were you?

Not this time!

All I need now is a recommendation or two for a replacement non-dummy
box. Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards seem to be fairly common and
reasonably priced.

Could I recommend Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards, as I have heard that
they seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced?

It might make sense to use the same brand as the control panel, though I
think other brands should work. Downloading instruction manuals can help
determine this. I bought a Texecom Odyssey 3, but that was to work with
a Texecom control panel. I chose the control panel because I can access
(check and control) it via the Internet.

--
Michael Chare

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news@nowhere.? escribió:

I fitted it with the horn pointing down...

Weren't daft, then were you?

Not this time!

All I need now is a recommendation or two for a replacement non-dummy
box. Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards seem to be fairly common and
reasonably priced.

Could I recommend Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuards, as I have heard that
they seem to be fairly common and reasonably priced?

It might make sense to use the same brand as the control panel, though I
think other brands should work.

Ah, OK. The panel is (an ageing) Scantronic 9448 so that might be a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I bought the Honeywell AG6/WB ActiveGuard but am a little unsure of the
wiring in the present broken box as I haven't been up the ladder yet.

The new box expects five cores: TR- (negative tamper return), V-
(negative supply), ST- (negative strobe trigger), V+ (positive supply)
and S- (negative sounder trigger) but I suspect that when I get up the
ladder I will find just four cores with a strobe connection to the
Scantronic 9448 panel missing.

However, the instructions for the new box say that 'for panels without a
strobe output the ST- should be connected to the SW-'.

Three questions:
are S- and SW- one and the same (and just an inconsistency in the
instructions)?

and

if I do make the link, will the strobe activate when the sounder activates?

and

if the strobe will activate, would the additional power drawn by the
strobe be an issue?

burglar alarm stuart noble UK diy 4 May 21st 12 12:43 AM
Connecting smoke alarm to burglar alarm robgraham UK diy 6 November 30th 10 10:00 AM
Using my burglar alarm Jethro Home Repair 24 February 20th 07 04:52 PM
UK burglar alarm bell box jsampson UK diy 3 August 16th 06 09:41 AM
Burglar Alarm Dave Plowman (News) UK diy 3 April 7th 05 01:04 AM