Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default PAT Testing WTF?

Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

I vaguely remember him mentioning it previously but I suggested it was a
static shock.

Anyway. I touched the terminal with the back of my hand and sure enough
there was a high voltage present by the lasting sting it gave me.

Called up Richer sounds where he's always blowing money and they said
drop it in we'll take a look.

3 weeks later the store manager said it they'd get it PAT tested to see
if it was safe.
Results came back and it had passed. N.F.F.
Haven't picked it back up yet but if a PAT tester is testing equipment
that only has a live(Line) and neutral feed and something like a chassis
capacitor(?) breaks down and allows high volts to exposed metal parts
presumably with no return path via PME I'm confused as to how this can
be considered safe and no fault found.

To me it makes PAT testing even more pointless than I'd previously
considered it to be.

Any ideas as to either the cause and why it's not considered a PAT failure?

Cheers - Pete
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Results came back and it had passed. N.F.F.

If it's a double insulated appliance (double square logo and L&N with no
E) then it's very likely to have a class Y capacitor from L to chassis
and another from N to chassis for suppression.

Yes you can get a tingle from such an appliance if you're grounded while
touching it, but not enough to be dangerous. The construction of class
Y caps are such that they *ought* to fail open circuit rather than short
circuit, but I doubt they've failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/2016 22:56, Andy Burns wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Results came back and it had passed. N.F.F.

If it's a double insulated appliance (double square logo and L&N with no
E) then it's very likely to have a class Y capacitor from L to chassis
and another from N to chassis for suppression.

Yes you can get a tingle from such an appliance if you're grounded while
touching it, but not enough to be dangerous. The construction of class
Y caps are such that they *ought* to fail open circuit rather than short
circuit, but I doubt they've failed.

Thanks Andy.
I'm sure it wasn't biting when we originally set it up.
It was more like a wasp sting or tongue across a fresh PP3 battery than
a tingle. Just something I've not has had the pleasure of on old or
modern kit before.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 17 October 2016 22:49:38 UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

[...]

If the amp was connected to anything else when you got bit, probably one of those other things is causing the problem. PAT test them should find out which.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Results came back and it had passed. N.F.F.

If it's a double insulated appliance (double square logo and L&N with no
E) then it's very likely to have a class Y capacitor from L to chassis
and another from N to chassis for suppression.

Yes you can get a tingle from such an appliance if you're grounded while
touching it, but not enough to be dangerous. The construction of class
Y caps are such that they *ought* to fail open circuit rather than short
circuit, but I doubt they've failed.

Thanks Andy.
I'm sure it wasn't biting when we originally set it up.
It was more like a wasp sting or tongue across a fresh PP3 battery than
a tingle. Just something I've not has had the pleasure of on old or
modern kit before.

It should never have been anywhere near that bad.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 00:39:18 UTC+1, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 17/10/2016 23:24, tabbypurr wrote:

If the amp was connected to anything else when you got bit, probably one of those other things is causing the problem. PAT test them should find out which.

It was only connected to an extension lead.

that won't cause it if it's class 2

My son was rigging up a
"mobile sound system" Only other things plugged in were speakers and

that won't either

i-pod which I disconnected and checked after getting zapped.

if it was running off a wallwart, the wart is open to suspicion.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

I'm sure it wasn't biting when we originally set it up.
It was more like a wasp sting or tongue across a fresh PP3 battery than
a tingle.

It's generally only at the level of "ooh that feels a bit weird" when a
large area of skin is in contact, not generally felt just by fingertips
alone.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 17/10/16 22:49, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

The PAT will subject it to a DC test voltage.

If you have lots of filter capacitors, it might be leaking AC via the
capacitors, which would block the DC of the PAT tester.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I would imagine most of the equipment will have this electrostatic charge. I
have found this an issue with lots of two core gear which passes all leakage
tests. Its just a discharge of something, and does not last. I earth one
piece of gear in a system and nothing goes bang, so it has to be just some
kind of mains filter or something.
In the old days of TVs with live chassis you often got this on aerial
sockets of course. Mostly harmless.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/10/2016 09:00, Brian Gaff wrote:
I would imagine most of the equipment will have this electrostatic charge. I
have found this an issue with lots of two core gear which passes all leakage
tests. Its just a discharge of something, and does not last. I earth one
piece of gear in a system and nothing goes bang, so it has to be just some
kind of mains filter or something.
In the old days of TVs with live chassis you often got this on aerial
sockets of course. Mostly harmless.
Brian

Thanks Brian.
When we get it back I'll do some more tests.
It wasn't affecting the musical output in any way and didn't trip the
RCD so we'll just accept it as being one of those things and move on.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

I vaguely remember him mentioning it previously but I suggested it was a
static shock.

Anyway. I touched the terminal with the back of my hand and sure enough
there was a high voltage present by the lasting sting it gave me.

Has this amp got a three core mains lead? Ie, is the case connected to
earth?

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

I vaguely remember him mentioning it previously but I suggested it was a
static shock.

Anyway. I touched the terminal with the back of my hand and sure enough
there was a high voltage present by the lasting sting it gave me.

Has this amp got a three core mains lead? Ie, is the case connected to
earth?

PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 16:25:11 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
In article ,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

I vaguely remember him mentioning it previously but I suggested it was a
static shock.

Anyway. I touched the terminal with the back of my hand and sure enough
there was a high voltage present by the lasting sting it gave me.

Has this amp got a three core mains lead? Ie, is the case connected to
earth?

PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...FQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;
Typically once a PAT test has been carried
The minimum details any PAT testing certificate
performing the PAT test itself
The advantages of a downloadable PAT tester
downloadable PAT testers is the Europa Plus
Regardless of what technique you use for you PAT testing it can all be for nothing
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk explained on 17/10/2016 :
[...]

Most likely it will just be a tiny amount of leakage, which is normal
to find on any double insulated appliance, where there is exposed
metalwork. Normal, as in without exception.

Rather like static - You should find that the harder you make contact
with it, the less of a tingle you feel. The voltage can be quite high,
but it will not have any current behind it, just a few uA.

If you apply an earth to the metal, the voltage will disappear and
there will be no spark.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 18 October 2016 18:14:38 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
[...]

If it's a 2 core wire appliance, earthing the case should solve it.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

Do you take your car for an MOT test?
:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On Mon, 17 Oct 2016 22:49:33 +0100, "www.GymRatZ.co.uk"
wrote:

Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

:-)

Adam

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...FQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

--
*Save the whale - I'll have it for my supper*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2016-10-18, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...FQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

see also ISBN number
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
[...]

If I had a car I might take it to a garage where they do MOT tests yes.
I thought MOT was ministry of transport not ministry of tests.

:-)

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...FQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-

certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 18:15:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-

certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Why donlt you explain it then.

whooash

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 18:15:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-

certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Why donlt you explain it then.

See also RAS syndrome ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 18:15:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-

certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Why donlt you explain it then.

Could be because you choose not to understand the explanation either.,

--
*When companies ship Styrofoam, what do they pack it in? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 11:02:41 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 18:15:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-
certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Why donlt you explain it then.

Could be because you choose not to understand the explanation either.,

you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and instrument is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown you plenty of evience that PAT testing is done. But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a PAT test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Now ou seem to be saying you need a PIN number is that a personal identification number number ?

Please tell me why you need a PIN number.

Does the PAT machine have a LCD display ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 10:29:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 18:15:37 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
On Wed, 19 Oct 2016 04:24:45 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Wednesday, 19 October 2016 11:28:26 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
PAT Testing? Portable Appliance Testing Testing? :-)

Sometime s peolpe try to be too clever. ;-P

https://www.tester.co.uk/blog/pat-te...is-a-pat-test-
certificate-and-why-is-it-important?gclid=CIGWqOTX5M8CFQUq0wod5mUHpw

A PAT test can be performed by anyone with a PAT testing machine;

But only if they have the PIN number for it.

why do they need a PIN number for it ?

Whooosh.

Why donlt you explain it then.

See also RAS syndrome ....

Yes been there done that a few years ago.

PAT Testing is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome. We shorten this to RAS Syndrome.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and instrument
is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown you plenty of
evience that PAT testing is done.

Yes. Portable Appliance Test tested. Reads beautifully.

But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a PAT
test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Tester? Is that the equipment or the person?

--
*The more people I meet, the more I like my dog.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 11:28:02 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and instrument
is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown you plenty of
evience that PAT testing is done.

Yes. Portable Appliance Test tested. Reads beautifully.

Yep nothing wrong with that quite descriptive is that why you don't like it.

But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a PAT
test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Tester? Is that the equipment or the person?

As yet I do not know of a piece of equipment that goes around all by itself from room to room from office to office looking through the cupboards taking out the equipment testing it then sticking a label on it I've only ever seen a human do this.
Have you ever seen an item be tested by a PAT tester I guess not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

====snip====

See also RAS syndrome ....

Yes been there done that a few years ago.

PAT Testing is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome. We shorten this
to RAS Syndrome.

Which is itself a RAS, as well as a TLA. :-)

I guess "RAS Syndrome" is a sardonic reference in the same way that the
name WINE (a windows software to Linux compatability layer) was created
out of the acronym, "WINE Is Not (an) Emulator!". :-)

(https://www.winehq.org/ has the details)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 11:42:11 +0000, Johnny B Good wrote:

On Thu, 20 Oct 2016 03:22:06 -0700, whisky-dave wrote:

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 10:29:54 UTC+1, Andy Burns wrote:

====snip====

See also RAS syndrome ....

Yes been there done that a few years ago.

PAT Testing is an example of Redundant Acronym Syndrome. We shorten
this to RAS Syndrome.

Which is itself a RAS, as well as a TLA. :-)

I guess "RAS Syndrome" is a sardonic reference in the same way that the
name WINE (a windows software to Linux compatability layer) was created
out of the acronym, "WINE Is Not (an) Emulator!". :-)

(https://www.winehq.org/ has the details)

Not quite the same. RAS syndrome is a repeated word. WINE is a recursive
acronym - of which the best known is probably GNU. (GNU's Not UNIX).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Lads 3 year old Marantz Amp. was being used and lad asks me to touch the
RCA socket because he'd got an electric shock from it.

:-)

Adam

He actually asked me to touch it first.
Once I did he then said he thought he's received a shock but just wanted
to check.

Thanks all for the replies.
I'll tell him to simply plug the leads in before switching it on in future.

Cheers
Pete

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
whisky-dave wrote:
you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and instrument
is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown you plenty of
evience that PAT testing is done.

Yes. Portable Appliance Test tested. Reads beautifully.

But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a PAT
test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Tester? Is that the equipment or the person?

You're getting bored with Wodney, I can tell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and
instrument is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown
you plenty of evience that PAT testing is done.

Yes. Portable Appliance Test tested. Reads beautifully.

Yep nothing wrong with that quite descriptive is that why you don't like it.

Odd. You seem to spend ages Googling simple phrases you can't understand.
And go on an on about them. See why now.

But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a
PAT test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Tester? Is that the equipment or the person?

As yet I do not know of a piece of equipment that goes around all by
itself from room to room from office to office looking through the
cupboards taking out the equipment testing it then sticking a label on
it I've only ever seen a human do this. Have you ever seen an item be
tested by a PAT tester I guess not.

Right. So that person would be a portable appliance test tester with a

*I can see your point, but I still think you're full of ****.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
you've provided no explanation just said why we can;t say and instrument
is PAT tested, but you;re wrong about that I"ve shown you plenty of
evience that PAT testing is done.

Yes. Portable Appliance Test tested. Reads beautifully.

But being as ignorant as you are you've failed to understand that a PAT
test can only be done with a PAT tester.

Tester? Is that the equipment or the person?

You're getting bored with Wodney, I can tell

Tester? stupid question isn't it, why can't say greg wallace test for electrical safety, anyone can test or even taste anything.

He's lost the plot obviously.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 20 October 2016 14:58:39 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

that's not how I think but you can please yourself.

Here when we say something is PAT tested it means a person has come around with a Portable Appliance tester and used it to perform tests on the appliances.

In yuor world I don't know what it means or how you'd describe such a things.

If someome takes a dump on electrical equipment do you say iut was pat tested becuse the person taking the dumnp had pat written on theirt T-shirt ?

Just testing David Peebles Woodturning 1 December 17th 11 05:47 AM
P A T Testing ? the_constructor[_2_] UK diy 32 August 21st 11 11:59 PM
OT - Testing Sonny Woodworking 1 October 9th 10 05:27 PM
testing Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Metalworking 3 October 27th 05 11:24 PM
Laws requiring portable appliance testing and electrical installation testing if any? Z UK diy 9 June 14th 04 11:00 AM