Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default poxy two part glue

I didn't have any Araldite left so had to settle for some Araldite
rapid to fix a broken plastic kettle lid. It never seemed to set as
hard as original Araldite but worse than that it seems to have
degraded from the steam.

I see now Araldite is not recommended for food containers nor above
65C.

So are there any glues for plastic which will work in steam?

Is Araldite rapid substantially less strong than Araldite original?

AJH
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 19:00:03 +0100, alan_m
wrote:

My observation with rapid variety is that it goes off within 10 minutes
but still remains relatively soft and sticky for at least 24 hours or
longer. How long after application did you use the kettle.

Probably less than 24 hours but I'll try Bob's idea next.

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes about rapid as it seems to get hotter and presumably is slightly
fractured by expansion.

To use Araldite on stuff like that you need some additive I seem to recall.
We used to use it to repair pcbs with added 'stuff' which made it better at
taking the heat inside vavle tellies of the day.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
I didn't have any Araldite left so had to settle for some Araldite
rapid to fix a broken plastic kettle lid. It never seemed to set as
hard as original Araldite but worse than that it seems to have
degraded from the steam.

I see now Araldite is not recommended for food containers nor above
65C.

So are there any glues for plastic which will work in steam?

Is Araldite rapid substantially less strong than Araldite original?

AJH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Superglue is an anaerobic adhesive i.e. it cures in the absence of air
not the presence of moisture

So I should leave the lid off to prevent it drying-up in the container?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Minchin wrote:

Superglue is an anaerobic adhesive i.e. it cures in the absence of air
not the presence of moisture

That would explain why it's so useless for gluing skin together (NOT!).

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 21:29, Bob Minchin wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
Bob Minchin writes:
wrote:
I didn't have any Araldite left so had to settle for some Araldite
rapid to fix a broken plastic kettle lid. It never seemed to set as
hard as original Araldite but worse than that it seems to have
degraded from the steam.

I see now Araldite is not recommended for food containers nor above
65C.

So are there any glues for plastic which will work in steam?

Is Araldite rapid substantially less strong than Araldite original?

AJH

Araldite will (eventually) set hard. the sort of plastic in a kettle is
pliable and so they will never stay stuck together.
Try the base of the kettle or somewhere out of sight with ABS solvent
weld cement.

Superglue works on some plastic too, as a solvent weld rather than
using its more conventional moisture-setting glue.

Superglue is an anaerobic adhesive i.e. it cures in the absence of air
not the presence of moisture

wrong.

In general, cyanoacrylate is an acrylic resin that rapidly polymerises
in the presence of water (specifically hydroxide ions), forming long,
strong chains, joining the bonded surfaces together. Because the
presence of moisture causes the glue to set, exposure to normal levels
of humidity in the air causes a thin skin to start to form within
seconds, which very greatly slows the reaction. Because of this
cyanoacrylate is applied thinly, to ensure that the reaction proceeds
rapidly for bonding.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyanoacrylate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/16 11:10, newshound wrote:
On 10/10/2016 6:40 PM, wrote:
I didn't have any Araldite left so had to settle for some Araldite
rapid to fix a broken plastic kettle lid. It never seemed to set as
hard as original Araldite but worse than that it seems to have
degraded from the steam.

I see now Araldite is not recommended for food containers nor above
65C.

So are there any glues for plastic which will work in steam?

Is Araldite rapid substantially less strong than Araldite original?

AJH

ISTR that rapid is slightly less strong than original.

Both types start to degrade reasonably fast at around 130 C, so may well
not take continous operation at 100. I've repaired teapot lids with it.
As others have said, other glues might be better depending on the plastic.

The secret to having epoxy that doesn't soften when hott is to stove it
at over 100C when its setting.

That's how I rep[air all my china. The assembled parts are put in an
oven at 110C or so for half an hour. That sets most '24 hour' epoxies.

If you go hotter the epoxy can be set in under 5 minutes.

It goes clear at a certain point. That's as hot as you should let it get.

Otherwise it starts to boil, and you get bubbles.

--
€œIt is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.€

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 6:40 PM, wrote:
[...]

As a student I had a job winding transformers. If the bobbins broke we used araldite and then played the oxy-acetelyn torch over it to set the glue. I imagine the transformers, which were used in high-voltage stabilisation units got quite hot.

Jonathan