Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Grey moment

On Monday, 10 October 2016 08:18:17 UTC+1, wrote:
Simon Mason's reply reveals an interesting character flaw. His craven desire to display display esoteric knowledge meant that in his haste to post, he completely overlooked the question that needed to be dealt with.

Terry.

I was an industrial Chemist - one PhD genious worked out a dosing system based on US gallons - doh.

Oh and in YOUR haste to post, you put in two "displays".

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 11:17, GB wrote:
What are the freezer measurements in cubits?

That would be icecubits, I assume?

--
Rod
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 20:50:34 +0100, pamela wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

He might be going a bit like Harry lately but in this case I don't see
anything untoward, simply making a suggestion that the additional
freezer could be a chest one, and if it has to under counter then you
woold nott have space for it which he covered.
They do have the advantage that the cold air doesn't flow out like
with an upright and it's often easier to keep something large like
half a pig , bit of venison or the wife who wouldn't divorce you in.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 11:43 10 Oct 2016, charles wrote:

In article , The Natural
Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

SNIP

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

but not good if you've laid all the parts from your dismantled
engine on the nice flat surface and the wife returns from the
supermarket.

Happened to a friend of mine,

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

Or how ****ed they are when you want to get to the stuff at the bottom.

And is too stupid to even be able to work out that they dont
work any better than the much more useful upright freezers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 12:50:09 +0100, Fredxxx wrote:

On 10/10/2016 12:29, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:46:34 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

snip

[1] It's funny to see the more left-brained the person the less wiling
/ likely they will be to accept any of the above, even though it's
very apparent to at least some of us. ;-)

Nah, he was just being a dick. ;-)

Ah, but do you think he was doing so intentionally or if it was just
from your / our POV? ;-)

If someone in their later age comes across as a dick, they are either
doing out of choice, or too thick to understand how and why people react
to what they say and do.

Ah, said like a true left-brainer. ;-)

Yes, you can have people who become what appears to others as
'cantankerous', simply because they DGAS (any more).

However, someone doesn't have to be 'thick' (often quite the
opposite) to have poor self awareness and / or not realise how to
behave socially.

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

He might be going a bit like Harry

No might be about it.

lately

And it isnt just lately either.

but in this case I don't see anything untoward, simply making
a suggestion that the additional freezer could be a chest one,

More fool you when under the counter is being discussed.

and if it has to under counter then you woold
nott have space for it which he covered.

They do have the advantage that the cold
air doesn't flow out like with an upright

In fact that is a trivial advantage given the
heat capacity of air. And trivially avoidable
anyway by keeping the freezer full.

and it's often easier to keep something large like half a pig ,
bit of venison or the wife who wouldn't divorce you in.

But much harder to find what you want in otherwise.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

He might be going a bit like Harry lately but in this case I don't see
anything untoward, simply making a suggestion that the additional
freezer could be a chest one, and if it has to under counter then you
woold nott have space for it which he covered.
They do have the advantage that the cold air doesn't flow out like
with an upright and it's often easier to keep something large like
half a pig , bit of venison or the wife who wouldn't divorce you in.

G.Harman

I have to chest freezers.
They are more efficient.
The problem is organising packing.
Anything you want is always at the bottom by reason of sods law.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message

Think in terms of 20 x 5 litre cans of oil or containers of milk

Is this realistic?

Yes, when judging whether that will FIT.

Why would you want to freeze oil?

No one does, its just a judgment about whether that will fit on not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 6:29 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller
fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example? How
would that help?

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching under-counter
freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

They are hopeless as far as convenient access to what is in them is
concerned.

They arent even more efficient than upright freezers either.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Lie it on its back on some industrial weighing scales,
fill with water, subtract the empty weight from the
full weight and then use the specific gravity of water
to measure volume. :-).

Or just multiply the three numbers together, which
gives 101,232 cubic centimetres. 1 litre is 1000
cubic centimetres (or ml), so the answer is
101.232 litres.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 08:05:30 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Lie it on its back on some industrial weighing scales,
fill with water, subtract the empty weight from the
full weight and then use the specific gravity of water
to measure volume. :-).

Density at 293K to be exact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , Tim+
escribi:

Nah, he was just being a dick. ;-)

Just like D i m and his cod psychology, then.

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , Chris Hogg
escribi:

Lots more bizarre units of measurement on these links. I like the FFF
system (furlong/firkin/fortnight) http://tinyurl.com/haf2ekd

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/24/vulture_central_standards/

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

En el artculo , damduck-
escribi:

He might be going a bit like Harry lately

A bit?!

--
(\_/)
(='.'=) systemd: the Linux version of Windows 10
(")_(")
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 19:56, Simon Mason wrote:
On Monday, 10 October 2016 08:18:17 UTC+1, wrote:
Simon Mason's reply reveals an interesting character flaw. His craven desire to display display esoteric knowledge meant that in his haste to post, he completely overlooked the question that needed to be dealt with.

Terry.

I was an industrial Chemist - one PhD genious worked out a dosing system based on US gallons - doh.

Oh and in YOUR haste to post, you put in two "displays".

Not being picky but you have spelt 'genius' incorrectly.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 October 2016 20:22:07 UTC+1, polygonum wrote:
On 10/10/2016 11:17, GB wrote:
What are the freezer measurements in cubits?

That would be icecubits, I assume?

Wouldn't they be about 10% larger than water cubits.

(although for me cubits are what;s used as currency in battlestar galatica)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/10/2016 08:27, Simon Mason wrote:
On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 08:05:30 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Lie it on its back on some industrial weighing scales,
fill with water, subtract the empty weight from the
full weight and then use the specific gravity of water
to measure volume. :-).

Density at 293K to be exact.

Indeed, I stand corrected.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 10:07:23 +0100, pamela wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer,

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

How do you open a chest freezer which is fitted under a counter top?

Where in the post to which the NP was replying to does it say the
ADDITIONAL Freezer was going to be undercounter?
This bit
" soon to be augmented by an additional freezer."

It could be or it could not , it isn't clear but if it is going to be
the the NP s qualifier "if you have space for " would then apply.

G.Harman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"pamela" wrote in message
On 07:51 11 Oct 2016, Hankat wrote:

On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 6:29 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer &
smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given
in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for
example? How would that help?

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

They are hopeless as far as convenient access to what is in them
is concerned.

They arent even more efficient than upright freezers either.

Don't chest freezers also take up more space than upright freezers
for the same storage capacity?

No they dont. They can take up a little less
space because there are no drawers or shelves.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 08:05:30 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Lie it on its back on some industrial weighing scales,
fill with water, subtract the empty weight from the
full weight and then use the specific gravity of water
to measure volume. :-).

Then throw it out because you've waterlogged the insulation and shagged the compressor :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 11 October 2016 10:34:58 UTC+1, whisky-dave wrote:
That would be icecubits, I assume?

Wouldn't they be about 10% larger than water cubits.

Next time I'm in Currys I'll ask whether they use litres of water or litres of ice :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer,

Mention of additional freezer here snipped by Pamela because
it's mention makes her point weak.
Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would
be fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

How do you open a chest freezer which is fitted under a counter
top?

Where in the post to which the NP was replying to does it say
the ADDITIONAL Freezer was going to be undercounter?
This bit "soon to be augmented by an additional freezer."

It could be or it could not , it isn't clear but if it is going
to be the the NP s qualifier "if you have space for " would
then apply.

It was implied in what was written. If someone is writing about
under-counter freezers then why anyone change the subject to chest
freezers unless they haven't been paying attention.

One freezer under counter , additional unspecified.
you jumping to one conclusion does not invalidate the other
possibility.

As usual, Turnip sprinkles his gratuitous wisdom more widely than
makes good sense.

He does seem to be getting more cantankerous in his old age and
more Harry like in that only his view is the right and true path but
if you are going to pop at someone do it on valid grounds.

You were just so eager to have a pop that you read what wanted to see
and are now wriggling.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

I'm pretty sure that was covered.

He might be going a bit like Harry lately but in this case I don't see
anything untoward, simply making a suggestion that the additional
freezer could be a chest one, and if it has to under counter then you
woold nott have space for it which he covered.
They do have the advantage that the cold air doesn't flow out like
with an upright and it's often easier to keep something large like
half a pig , bit of venison or the wife who wouldn't divorce you in.

Having had a chest freezer I never want one again. Upright, yes. Walk-in, yes. Chest, no! Having to haul half the contents out every time you want to get to something low down is madness. The only conceivable use for them is to put bodies in.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Philosopher wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional
freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

TNP doesn't seem to realise how useless a chest freezer would be
fitted under a counter!

Oh dear. :-)

I'm pretty sure that was covered.

Yeah you have to uncover them to open them.

Having had a chest freezer I never want one again. Upright, yes. Walk-in, yes. Chest, no! Having to haul half the contents out every time you want to get to something low down is madness. The only conceivable use for them is to put bodies in.

Yes adn I know who's bodies I'd choose first ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching
under-counter freezer,

Mention of additional freezer here snipped by Pamela
because it's mention makes her point weak.

If you look carefull at this thread you will see that it was you
who snipped out that text. I think you owe me an apology for that
untrue allegation.

See Message-ID:

[...]

Will you apologise for your untrue allegation or will you wriggle?

I'll apoligise for the snipping allegation, but not for saying you
were so eager to have a pop that you launched a reply to the NP
without thinking ,after all the mention of the addition freezer was
in there at the begining but you chose to ignore the possiblity that
the additional one may not be an undercounter one in your eagerness to
pop off a smartarse reply to the NP.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 10:22 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

ISTM that one could have a chest freezer under a counter. You just
attach the counter to the lid - or at any rate hinge it.

Or you could arrange to have it pull out.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 11 Oct 2016 16:14:50 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 15:26 11 Oct 2016, S Viemeister wrote:

On 10/11/2016 10:22 AM, Tim Streater wrote:

ISTM that one could have a chest freezer under a counter. You just
attach the counter to the lid - or at any rate hinge it.

Or you could arrange to have it pull out.

Maybe build some rails for it. Servo assisted traction would be even
nicer. Not to forget a warning alarm during operation. All that might
make for an interesting D-I-Y project but with ideas like that, please,
don't offer to design my kitchen! :-)

At least it would stop one opening the freezer during a power failure.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/11/2016 11:14 AM, pamela wrote:
On 15:26 11 Oct 2016, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/11/2016 10:22 AM, Tim Streater wrote:
ISTM that one could have a chest freezer under a counter. You
just attach the counter to the lid - or at any rate hinge it.

Or you could arrange to have it pull out.

Maybe build some rails for it. Servo assisted traction would be
even nicer. Not to forget a warning alarm during operation. All
that might make for an interesting D-I-Y project but with ideas
like that, please, don't offer to design my kitchen! :-)

I would _never_ do such a thing in my kitchen (or yours, either!) and I
dislike chest freezers for general household use. I can see wanting one
if you raise your own meat and dedicating a chest freezer in a shed or
garage to that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

That would be my choice (separate temperature control for a start, and
if one breaks down you can use the other as either a source of ice or a
stop-gap to keep the frozen stuff a little longer) and what we've had
happily for the last 30 years.

But SWMBO is insistent she wants a fridge-freezer in the new kitchen...

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/16/2016 8:53 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:
I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

That would be my choice (separate temperature control for a start, and
if one breaks down you can use the other as either a source of ice or a
stop-gap to keep the frozen stuff a little longer) and what we've had
happily for the last 30 years.

But SWMBO is insistent she wants a fridge-freezer in the new kitchen...

Buy a pair of coordinating units and stack them (like a washer and dryer).

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 10/16/2016 8:53 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:

But SWMBO is insistent she wants a fridge-freezer in the new kitchen...

Buy a pair of coordinating units and stack them (like a washer and dryer).

When I was young, my father said
Son, I have something to say-ay-ay-ay :-)

All married men know that, when The Mrs says she wants a fridge freezer,
then nothing less will suffice. Sometimes, the best choice is not
necessarily the ideal choice.
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 22:43:03 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
All married men know that, when The Mrs says she wants a fridge freezer,
then nothing less will suffice. Sometimes, the best choice is not
necessarily the ideal choice.

Let her choose; it's her kitchen.

After all she doesn't insist that you have a Ford Fiesta in the garage when you really want a Harley and a Transit van does she ...

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 22:43:03 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
In message , S Viemeister
writes
On 10/16/2016 8:53 PM, Vir Campestris wrote:

But SWMBO is insistent she wants a fridge-freezer in the new kitchen...

Buy a pair of coordinating units and stack them (like a washer and dryer).

When I was young, my father said
Son, I have something to say-ay-ay-ay :-)

All married men know that, when The Mrs says she wants a fridge freezer,
then nothing less will suffice. Sometimes, the best choice is not
necessarily the ideal choice.

As far as most are concerned separate fridge & freezers stacked ARE a fridge freezer. Many never even realise they are separate!

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 16 October 2016 23:28:11 UTC+1, wrote:
On Sunday, 16 October 2016 22:43:03 UTC+1, Graeme wrote:
All married men know that, when The Mrs says she wants a fridge freezer,
then nothing less will suffice. Sometimes, the best choice is not
necessarily the ideal choice.

Let her choose; it's her kitchen.

I chose our microwave, washer, cooker, knives, kettle, coffee machine, radio and juicer based on value and quality.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason wrote
wrote
Graeme wrote

All married men know that, when The Mrs says she wants
a fridge freezer, then nothing less will suffice. Sometimes,
the best choice is not necessarily the ideal choice.

Let her choose; it's her kitchen.

I chose our microwave, washer, cooker, knives, kettle, coffee
machine, radio and juicer based on value and quality.

But were too stupid to do that with the watch,
the satnav, the camera, or anything else.