Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT; Grey moment

I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

You have 37 x 38 x 72 = 101232 cubic centimetres

i.e. 101.2 litres

--
Adrian C
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 October 2016 23:40:26 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

A litre is a cubic decimetre, so 3.7x3.8x7.2.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 9 October 2016 23:50:57 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

Nope = A litre of water has a mass almost exactly equal to one kilogram. An early definition of the kilogram was set as the mass of one litre of water. Because volume changes with temperature and pressure, and pressure uses units of mass, the definition of a kilogram was changed. At standard pressure, one litre of water has a mass of 0.999975 kg at 4 °C, and 0.997 kg at 25 °C.[7]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 05:48, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 9 October 2016 23:50:57 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

Nope = A litre of water has a mass almost exactly equal to one kilogram. An early definition of the kilogram was set as the mass of one litre of water. Because volume changes with temperature and pressure, and pressure uses units of mass, the definition of a kilogram was changed. At standard pressure, one litre of water has a mass of 0.999975 kg at 4 °C, and 0.997 kg at 25 °C.[7]

Eh?

You have introduced (a) water and (b) mass quite unnecessarily. The
litre was, as you say, formerly defined in terms of a mass of water.
But that ended in the 1960s. And is totally irrelevant to the fact that
1 litre is 1,000 cc.

And while cc is a unit from the CGS system it is still widely used in
practice and accepted within the SI world.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1000 l = 1m3

So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 / 1000

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 07:14, Tim Watts wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1000 l = 1m3

So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 / 1000

So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 x 1000

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

David Lang wrote:

37cm x 38cm x 72cm. Whats that in litres?

1000 l = 1m3
So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 / 1000

So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 x 1000

That's a million times better [sorry Tim].

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Simon Mason's reply reveals an interesting character flaw. His craven desire to display display esoteric knowledge meant that in his haste to post, he completely overlooked the question that needed to be dealt with.

Terry.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim Watts wrote:

David Lang wrote:

37cm x 38cm x 72cm. Whats that in litres?

1000 l = 1m3
So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 / 1000

So 0.37 x 0.38 x 0.72 x 1000

That's a million times better [sorry Tim].

In my defence it is early in the morning.

Anytime before 11am is early!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2016 23:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

You have 37 x 38 x 72 = 101232 cubic centimetres

i.e. 101.2 litres

That's what I got, but it's the equivalent to 4 x 25 litre drums - which
clearly wouldn't fit, hence I thought it was wrong.

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

I guess I'll have to measure each drawer.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 October 2016 09:00:31 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
That's what I got, but it's the equivalent to 4 x 25 litre drums - which
clearly wouldn't fit, hence I thought it was wrong.

It's 4 x 25 litre drums of bubblewrap, which you can squish into the cavity once you've removed all the drawers, shelves and refrigerated pipework and popped all the bubbles ... oh hold on ...

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

AO do give total capacity in 'bags of shopping' but trying to find anything with more freezer than a 50/50 split is probably impossible. I want one too.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 10 October 2016 05:48:38 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
On Sunday, 9 October 2016 23:50:57 UTC+1, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

Nope = A litre of water has a mass almost exactly equal to one kilogram.. An early definition of the kilogram was set as the mass of one litre of water. Because volume changes with temperature and pressure, and pressure uses units of mass, the definition of a kilogram was changed. At standard pressure, one litre of water has a mass of 0.999975 kg at 4 °C, and 0.997 kg at 25 °C.[7]

and a litre is 1000cc.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 09:00, David Lang wrote:
On 09/10/2016 23:50, Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 09/10/16 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

1 Litre is 1000 cubic centimetres.

You have 37 x 38 x 72 = 101232 cubic centimetres

i.e. 101.2 litres

That's what I got, but it's the equivalent to 4 x 25 litre drums - which
clearly wouldn't fit, hence I thought it was wrong.

Think in terms of 20 x 5 litre cans of oil or containers of milk

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

I guess I'll have to measure each drawer.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Well, that's 1' 2 9/16" x 1' 2 31/32" x 2' 4 11/32" which I work out to
be 89 quarts.

HTH

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 10:15, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Well, that's 1' 2 9/16" x 1' 2 31/32" x 2' 4 11/32" which I work out to
be 89 quarts.

89 x 1.13652 (liters per quart) gets you 101.15 litres.

So someth8ing lost in translation there.

HTH

Cheers

or condoning; the full, exact, specific meaning of collectivism, of its
logical implications, of the principles upon which it is based, and of
the ultimate consequences to which these principles will lead. They must
face it, then decide whether this is what they want or not.

Ayn Rand.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

David Lang wrote:

Adrian Caspersz wrote:

101.2 litres

That's what I got, but it's the equivalent to 4 x 25 litre drums - which
clearly wouldn't fit, hence I thought it was wrong.

But that's a packing problem. Think in terms of tetrapaks, so about 3
inches square and 7 inches tall is a litre [or 7.5cm square by 17.5cm
tall] you'd get a 5x5 grid of them in your 37x38cm dimension, stacked 4
deep in your 72cm dimension - it's still 25 x 4 litres but now it fits!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 00:18:15 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Simon Mason's reply reveals an interesting character flaw.

I wouldn't call this sort of thing a 'character flaw' but an
indication that someone may be wired differently, 'left-brainer'
versus 'right-brainer' etc. [1]

His craven desire to display display esoteric knowledge meant that in his haste to post, he completely overlooked the question that needed to be dealt with.

So this would be a good indication of a (stereotypical) 'left-brainer'
at work where they focus on the detail but miss the bigger picture.

The op posts a very 'right-brainer' observation by comparing the
volume of 4 x 25l oil drums (100l) with the supposed 100l of a fridge
freezer (that I feel would be about right and would *be* right when
you look at the maths). ;-)

Another way of looking at left v right brain dominance is also the
connection of people being 'cold and prickly' or 'warm and fuzzy',
again, neither being better than the other, except when being judged
on a particular characteristic (like you might not want a 'cold and
prickly' in a Customer Service role for instance).

We need people of all wiring types of course and the skill (or luck)
is making sure they are in the right roles (for them and others). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's funny to see the more left-brained the person the less wiling
/ likely they will be to accept any of the above, even though it's
very apparent to at least some of us. ;-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

Think in terms of 20 x 5 litre cans of oil or containers of milk

Is this realistic? Why would you want to freeze oil?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 09:34:48 +0100
Chris Hogg wrote:

Lots more bizarre units of measurement on these links. I like the FFF
system (furlong/firkin/fortnight)

That was what our Thermodynamics lecturer would quote to check if we
were still awake.

--
Davey.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 10/10/2016 10:43, Bob Eager wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:15:24 +0100, Syd Rumpo wrote:

On 09/10/2016 23:40, David Lang wrote:
I'm trying to work out the volume of my freezer. It measures 37cm x
38cm x 72cm.

Whats that in litres?

I keep trying to work it out & get silly figures.

Well, that's 1' 2 9/16" x 1' 2 31/32" x 2' 4 11/32" which I work out to
be 89 quarts.

About 2.9 bushels.

What are the freezer measurements in cubits?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example? How
would that help?

Cheers
--
Syd
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 11:15, GB wrote:

Think in terms of 20 x 5 litre cans of oil or containers of milk

Is this realistic? Why would you want to freeze oil?

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 6:29 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example? How
would that help?

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching under-counter
freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional freezer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 6:29 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller
fridge,
so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example? How
would that help?

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching under-counter
freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

--
It is hard to imagine a more stupid decision or more dangerous way of
who pay no price for being wrong.

Thomas Sowell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
On 10/10/16 11:32, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 6:29 AM, Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller
fridge, so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given
in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example?
How would that help?

No. We have an under-counter fridge and a matching under-counter
freezer, soon to be augmented by an additional freezer.

Chest freezer always a good idea if you have space for it.

but not good if you've laid all the parts from your dismantled engine on
the nice flat surface and the wife returns from the supermarket.

Happened to a friend of mine,

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Nah, he was just being a dick. ;-)

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:46:34 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

snip

[1] It's funny to see the more left-brained the person the less wiling
/ likely they will be to accept any of the above, even though it's
very apparent to at least some of us. ;-)

Nah, he was just being a dick. ;-)

Ah, but do you think he was doing so intentionally or if it was just
from your / our POV? ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Simon Mason's reply reveals an interesting character flaw.

I wouldn't call this sort of thing a 'character flaw' but an
indication that someone may be wired differently, 'left-brainer'
versus 'right-brainer' etc. [1]

Someone without social skills and the need to continuously prove oneself
is a flaw.

His craven desire to display display esoteric knowledge meant that in his haste to post, he completely overlooked the question that needed to be dealt with.

So this would be a good indication of a (stereotypical) 'left-brainer'
at work where they focus on the detail but miss the bigger picture.

The bigger picture is that Simon is old enough to learn social
interactions. I would excuse a teenager.

The op posts a very 'right-brainer' observation by comparing the
volume of 4 x 25l oil drums (100l) with the supposed 100l of a fridge
freezer (that I feel would be about right and would *be* right when
you look at the maths). ;-)

Another way of looking at left v right brain dominance is also the
connection of people being 'cold and prickly' or 'warm and fuzzy',
again, neither being better than the other, except when being judged
on a particular characteristic (like you might not want a 'cold and
prickly' in a Customer Service role for instance).

We need people of all wiring types of course and the skill (or luck)
is making sure they are in the right roles (for them and others). ;-)

Agreed, but learning social skills is a must for those don't have these.

Cheers, T i m

[1] It's funny to see the more left-brained the person the less wiling
/ likely they will be to accept any of the above, even though it's
very apparent to at least some of us. ;-)

That depends on how bright they are.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/2016 12:29, T i m wrote:
On Mon, 10 Oct 2016 10:46:34 -0000 (UTC), Tim+
wrote:

snip

[1] It's funny to see the more left-brained the person the less wiling
/ likely they will be to accept any of the above, even though it's
very apparent to at least some of us. ;-)

Nah, he was just being a dick. ;-)

Ah, but do you think he was doing so intentionally or if it was just
from your / our POV? ;-)

If someone in their later age comes across as a dick, they are either
doing out of choice, or too thick to understand how and why people react
to what they say and do.

YMMV
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/10/16 11:15, GB wrote:

Think in terms of 20 x 5 litre cans of oil or containers of milk

Is this realistic? Why would you want to freeze oil?

Truth welcomes investigation ...

But ...

I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you

so no investigation? Hmmm...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuE_jqYNi3c

:-)

--
Adrian C

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Tim Streater wrote:
In article ,
wrote:

On Monday, 10 October 2016 09:00:31 UTC+1, David Lang wrote:
That's what I got, but it's the equivalent to 4 x 25 litre drums -
which clearly wouldn't fit, hence I thought it was wrong.

It's 4 x 25 litre drums of bubblewrap, which you can squish into the
cavity once you've removed all the drawers, shelves and refrigerated
pipework and popped all the bubbles ... oh hold on ...

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller
fridge, so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given
in litres.

AO do give total capacity in 'bags of shopping' but trying to find
anything with more freezer than a 50/50 split is probably impossible. I
want one too.

We have a 700mm wide Beko FF - the extra width is very useful because
you get all of it. I really dunno why everyone keeps buying the 600mm
wide variety.

To fit a 600mm wide opening?

--
*The man who fell into an upholstery machine is fully recovered*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Syd Rumpo wrote:
On 10/10/2016 10:44, S Viemeister wrote:
On 10/10/2016 4:00 AM, David Lang wrote:

I'm looking for a fridge freezer with a bigger freezer & smaller
fridge, so trying to visualise the capacity figures which are given
in litres.

Have you considered separate fridge and freezer units?

What, litres for the fridge and pints for the freezer for example? How
would that help?

;-)

--
*If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.