Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default How to remove Danish oil from laminate work surface

I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a
kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was
wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that has resisted
IPA, white spirit and meths.
What solvent should I be using?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 21:15, wrote:
I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a
kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was
wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that has resisted
IPA, white spirit and meths.
What solvent should I be using?

Do the rest to match the patch ;-)

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 06/10/2016 21:35, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

I left a tin of Danish oil on a kitchen work surface and failed to
notice that the bottom of the tin was wet with the oil. We now have a
dried rectangular mark

Oil the whole lot!

Sadly, that's not really appropriate for laminate

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rub it with their bacon?
Actually you don't say what laminate type it is. I don't think Danish Oil
is a solvent so it should not have soaked in.
I think somebody on this list a couple of years ago reckoned that some
label glue remover that CPC sold did this trick quite well, but needed
several goes.
It was a long time ago though so for all we know it could be a banned
substance by now!
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a
kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was
wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that has resisted
IPA, white spirit and meths.
What solvent should I be using?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 6 October 2016 21:15:54 UTC+1, wrote:
I'm mildly in the dog house because I left a tin of Danish oil on a
kitchen work surface and failed to notice that the bottom of the tin was
wet with the oil. We now have a dried rectangular mark that has resisted
IPA, white spirit and meths.
What solvent should I be using?

Petrol? Turpentine substitute? Cellulose thinners?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/7/2016 8:00 AM, Brian Gaff wrote:
Rub it with their bacon?
Actually you don't say what laminate type it is. I don't think Danish Oil
is a solvent so it should not have soaked in.
I think somebody on this list a couple of years ago reckoned that some
label glue remover that CPC sold did this trick quite well, but needed
several goes.
It was a long time ago though so for all we know it could be a banned
substance by now!
Brian

I was going to suggest label remover too.

Won't mention the usual last resort :-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

replying to nospam, Usernamerequired wrote:
Wow, are you my husband?! Hahaha - he has literally done the same thing this
week! I only noticed today in a particular light!

Have you found anything that works? I've done quite a bit of googling, and
have so far tried some Bar Keepers Friend. It seems to have helped a bit, and
I'm going to have another go tomorrow...

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy/...e-1159919-.htm