Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Anyone on here competent enough to make a thermoscope?

Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in denial:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/JRRjx-a1JgQ[176-200]

http://www2.ups.edu/faculty/jcevans/Pictet's%20experiment.pdf

The thermoscope is pictured on page 7 it doesn't look that complicated or expensive to make. When and if I get the pdf sorted I will give more details.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message

Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity
discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in denial:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/JRRjx-a1JgQ[176-200]

http://www2.ups.edu/faculty/jcevans/Pictet's%20experiment.pdf

The thermoscope is pictured on page 7 it doesn't look that complicated or
expensive to make. When and if I get the pdf sorted I will give more
details.

You Alastair by any chance?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity
discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in
denial:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/JRRjx-a1JgQ[176-200]

http://www2.ups.edu/faculty/jcevans/Pictet's%20experiment.pdf

The thermoscope is pictured on page 7 it doesn't look that complicated or
expensive to make. When and if I get the pdf sorted I will give more
details.

Section IV of the pdf document (starting on page 13, or 749 of Am.J.Phys)
explains the effect in 1985 parlance. It all boils down to the fact that all
bodies emit radiation but some more than others.
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 9/24/2016 2:29 PM, Weatherlawyer wrote:
Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in denial:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/JRRjx-a1JgQ[176-200]

Surprise surprise, idiots post on that group too.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I doubt the original inventors will be worried after all this time...
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Weatherlawyer" wrote in message
Apparently Pictet and Count Rumford made some pre discovery of polarity
discovery of polarisation in the 18th and 19th centuries.

Largely ignored to date, the whole of uk.sci.weather seems to be in
denial:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?hl=...er/JRRjx-a1JgQ[176-200]

http://www2.ups.edu/faculty/jcevans/Pictet's%20experiment.pdf

The thermoscope is pictured on page 7 it doesn't look that complicated or
expensive to make. When and if I get the pdf sorted I will give more
details.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 25 September 2016 09:07:48 UTC+1, Brian Gaff wrote:
I doubt the original inventors will be worried after all this time...
Brian

I had only got the picture of the thermoscope two glass balloons separted by a tube with drop of liquid in it. The change in temperature caused a presure fifferenc to movve the bubble but i hadn't read the rest of it.
It turns out that the method of operation gets the result we expect these days.

And earlier description of the experiment that Pictet carried out was the a mirror focused on a thermometer and radiation from a lighted taper near another mirror was reflected onto the first mirror. Hence the radiation from the taper was mirrored onto the thermometer, heating it up.

When the lighted taper was replaced by a lump of ice, the lack of heat collected sent the thermometer down below room temperature. The article spent so much time trying to explain what the primitive understandings of radiation were that I got fed up with it.

Recap. Two tin mirrors. One collecting radiation from an heat source and sending it to the second mirror. The second mirror focused onto a thermometer..

Ice in the position occupied originally by the wax taper gave inexplicable readings. The thread was at 1902 posts in 2015. I had ignored it as it was a thread I thought was going to enter an endless argument.

I joined in when I heard about this new phenomena and then it went into a pointless argument. Rather than construct the apparatus to carry out the experiment to decide, people would rather get into a slanging match to decide.

The last I saw it had about 220 posts. All very e-defining. The indefatigable in search of the indecypherable.