Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Odd battery connection.

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

And I've no idea why - apart to make it more difficult for user
replacement. Unless to prevent using alkaline?

--
*Men are from Earth, women are from Earth. Deal with it.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

And I've no idea why - apart to make it more difficult for user
replacement. Unless to prevent using alkaline?

Sorry Dave, no idea.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

And I've no idea why - apart to make it more difficult for user
replacement. Unless to prevent using alkaline?

Shaves a few millimetres off the length of the battery compartment so
the overall?

PS
IMLE a "cap" of kitchen foil can be an alternative to shaving the side
of the battery - especially when just lending someone batteries!

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 01 Sep 2016 00:15:46 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

And I've no idea why - apart to make it more difficult for user
replacement. Unless to prevent using alkaline?

My mother had something like that @30 years ago, most of her stuff was
Panasonic and probably it was a portable CD player.

Memory is rusty but the original rechargeable batteries had the side
contact but if they were discharged ordinary primary cells could be
used with no chance of the user trying to charge them by mistake as
the charging was done inside the player.
Now you could also use externally charged rechargeable instead of
primaries but they were not very common for the ordinary consumer
then.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

Well not std then, Panasonic had them as a HHR-4AH

Since my other post I got curious and see they are sill obtainable
just if this supplier really does have them
http://www.smallbattery.company.org...._2xhhr-4ah.htm

if you want to replace the originals as is.

G.Harman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Was asked to look at some re-chargeable cordless headphones a pal has
which needed new batteries.

Standard AAA cell - but the housing was different to normal, the negative
contact, which went to the side, rather than bottom, of the cell. The
originals having the sleeve cut off short to allow this.

Well not std then, Panasonic had them as a HHR-4AH

Since my other post I got curious and see they are sill obtainable
just if this supplier really does have them
http://www.smallbattery.company.org...._2xhhr-4ah.htm

if you want to replace the originals as is.

G.Harman

Fush moi. 5 quid a cell for AAAs. ;-) See why now they did this.

Removing the bottom part of the sleeve from Lidl ones has done the job.

--
*My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.