Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Side battery connection bolts too long?

Not quite home repair; unless you use several 12 volt truck/auto
batteries to power your 24 volt computer UPS, as we do.

However those of us who 'do' at home are most likely to attend to (at
least the smaller stuff) on our motor vehicles? So this tip may help?

Picked up a couple of lead replacement side terminal connectors for
auto type batteries to set up an out-of-vehicle charging set up for
some 12v recreational/spare auto style batteries.

Each connector came with a short bolt to screw into the battery side
terminal. As it was installed each bolt 'seemed' a little bit too
long! To continue turning it in after it appeared 'to bottom out'
could IMO have either damaged the soft lead thread in the battery or
perhaps broken through the battery post into the interior of the
battery. So I stopped, investigated an measured!

But by not tightening it fully the connector was loose; the solutions
were; use a shorter bolt, grind off end of the bolt provided by say an
eighth of an inch, or use a suitable washer (which due to the
depression in the connector into which the bolt head fits will have to
be certain size, only slightly bigger than the bolt head!

Or possibly, but undesirably, using say a steel plated washer between
the lead surface of the side connection and the lead connector thus
introducing a different metal between the two contact surfaces which
can carry high current.

These connectors looked as though made in 'The Peoples Republic' and/
or cheaply made somewhere else?

Not saying that because these were perhaps Chinese, Korean or third
world made etc. that all such side post connectors are necessarily no
good. Although recent events involving, food products, pet food and
more recently toothpaste (falsely/alleged, but not actually made, in
South America) seem to throw doubt on manufacturing to the proper
standards we are used to in North America and the European Union.

BUT: This warning might save someone the grief of not damaging a side
terminal battery????

Must go and change over the charger lead clips to the other spare
recreational battery until I get the bolt length sorted out! I think
shortening the bolts, although it will grind off the plating is
quickest and safest way to go!.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:

Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part .................
above ....

Although recent events involving, food products, pet food and
more recently toothpaste (falsely/alleged, but not actually made, in
South America) seem to throw doubt on manufacturing to the proper
standards we are used to in North America and the European Union.

I should have written that the news reports I had heard said
"Toothpaste allegedly but not actually made in South Africa"; sorry
about that, my error. Wrong continent!

terry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:

Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part .................
above ....

Although recent events involving, food products, pet food and
more recently toothpaste (falsely/alleged, but not actually made, in
South America) seem to throw doubt on manufacturing to the proper
standards we are used to in North America and the European Union.

I should have written that the news reports I had heard said
"Toothpaste allegedly but not actually made in South Africa"; sorry
about that, my error. Wrong continent!

terry

I'm an old codger 90 yrs old. All my adult life I have proclaimed that
this country should should be a 'Made in USA' state in every way it
is possible. The people and country should come first and the rest of
the world afterwards. How ever our politicians, in order to gain
votes, have changed things around over the years. NOW, we are reaping
their greedy mistakes.. The grass root people of this country need to
rise up in masse and take control and put this land back on the
original track that was set forth in 1776 by our fore fathers.. Having
foregn trade is good only to a point. Beyond that it serves no good to
this land. I say let America become Americaiized again.
Jack

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article .com,
Jack wrote:

On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:

Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part .................
above ....

[...]

Sure, Jack, sounds nice and sentimental and patriotic. But, how you
gonna get us all to pay twenty times as much for everything we buy? It's
not the politicians who are guilty on this one, it's the American
disease called Consumerism.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

terry wrote:
[...]

Sounds like a tempest in a teapot to me...

I've never had a problem w/ a washer on a battery terminal in some 50
years on everything from a small lawnmower to the multi-parallel/series
systems on the large tractors...

But, taking off a little off the end of a bolt is about a 15 second
operation or get a shorter bolt...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:

Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part .................
above ....

[...]

Jack, I am sure you remember when Sam Walton was still alive and the Walmart
stores were proud to display Made in America signs.
When the old man passed on and the kids took over the business is when they
took down those signs and replaced them with Made in China with lousy
quality and cheap labor.

Charlie

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...

But, taking off a little off the end of a bolt is about a 15 second
operation or get a shorter bolt...

If you do try to shorten the bolt, be sure to screw the appropriate
nut on it first to restore the threads.

Bob

Posted to alt.home.repair

Wouldn't that be nice! Maybe we'd have some more jobs in the US,
instead of sending all our money to China?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jack" wrote in message
oups.com...
: On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
: On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:
:
: Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part
: above ....
:
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 21, 8:09 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice! Maybe we'd have some more jobs in the US,
instead of sending all our money to China?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Jack" wrote in message

oups.com...
: On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
: On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:
:
: Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part
: above ....
:
[...]

America industry can't compete with most foreign products where the
workers and companies don't have to pay income tax, social security or
medical care premiums. Then there are those so called "made in
America cars" that are assembled by Japanese robots with one union man
watching, using parts shipped in containers from Japan. Again no
significant taxes, there is no way can an American factory compete.
Ship a car from the US to those countries and they immediatly impose
their value added tax making our goods even more expensive. They
don't apply their tax on goods they export.

When I suggest that we impose a similar tax the arguement I get is
that "it will hurt the poor people too much". I dislike the idea of
such a tax because it opens the door for the politicans to easily
increase taxes.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jun 20, 3:17 pm, "Bob F" wrote:
If you do try to shorten the bolt, be sure to screw the appropriate
nut on it first to restore the threads.
Bob

Thanks Bob. Yes that's a trick I use especially if one is say
hacksawing off a bolt; the nut helps 'clean' the threads as it comes
off. Plus bit of oil if necessary! Regards. terry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice! Maybe we'd have some more jobs in the US,
instead of sending all our money to China?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.
You have to starve them.
.

"Jack" wrote in message

roups.com...
: On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
: On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:
:
: Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part
: above ....
:
[...]

increase taxes.- Hide quoted text -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Smiling a bit! Cos there is always more than one side to a discussion.

Because what was originally intended to be helpful hint to the group
about battery terminals, with my side comment about manufacturing
standards turned into a discussion about US industry/manufactruring.

I'm in Canada!

Which exports a great deal of its raw materials and some manufactured
goods to the USA. For raw materials there tends to be a world price
for a barrel of oil, or a ton of iron ore. And since Canadian
resources, including water, electric power, oil, minerals (nickel,
copper, iron, uranium etc.), lumber etc. are in world wide demand
doesn't seem to be too much of a problem?

By the same token Canada imports items from (or sometimes through) the
USA. Yesterday for example the potatos at s.market were from the USA,
as were other vegetables and food goods. After all it's only mid June
up here, so summer has barely started! :-)

But all too often Canadian semi finished and raw products (such as
lumber) are faced with US 'Import tariffs', "To protect US industry".
These often increase costs to the US consumer. One estimate was that
lumber tariffs increase the cost of a typical US home by $2000 to
$3000? Canadian lumber costs more, so US lumber can cost more? But now
the Chinese are 'looking for' lumber; so tariffs unlikely there!

Some (perhaps many) Canadians would like to see NAFTA done away with.
It's far too easy for some group in the US to lobby Congress to impose
tariffs, sometimes imposed contrary to the NAFTA treaty. In other
words what good is any treaty if not followed?

Canadian labour costs are high. As are also taxes due to various
social programmes and need to operate a larger country with a
population one tenth that of the USA . Together with a generally
harder climate, and greater distances due to size of the country,
Canada is not a cheap place to do business or live! But it competes;
partly because of the demand for natural resources and also its
manufacturing sector.

Canadian auto plants, for example, have high productivities and good
quality. Also when considered as a source of materials; oil/petroleum
etc. Canada is a well orgainsed and very politically stable country.

Yesterday one big news item was that the Chinese were at a big western
Canada conference announcing and actively looking for oil-deals to
feed their booming economy. Canada buys a lot of consumer stuff from
China too! India at the moment is not too far behind. And OPEC which
includes a lot of Middle Easter Countries, some of whcih are not very
politically stable or efficiently run, get our money for the oil we
buy. So it's a world economy.

The whole 'world order' will gradually change. In Canada for example
too much dependence on extraction of non-renewable natural resources
may stifle innovation! The next 50 years will be interesting!