Posted to alt.home.repair
terry terry is offline

Default Side battery connection bolts too long?

On Jun 21, 12:35 pm, Rich256 wrote:
On Jun 21, 8:09 am, "Stormin Mormon"

wrote:
Wouldn't that be nice! Maybe we'd have some more jobs in the US,
instead of sending all our money to China?

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"Jack" wrote in message

roups.com...
: On Jun 20, 8:17 am, terry wrote:
: On Jun 20, 11:08 am, terry wrote:
:
: Oops!!!!!! I wrote ................... in part
: above ....
:
: Although recent events involving, food products, pet food
and
: more recently toothpaste (falsely/alleged, but not actually
made, in
: South America) seem to throw doubt on manufacturing to the
proper
: standards we are used to in North America and the European
Union.
:
: I should have written that the news reports I had heard said
: "Toothpaste allegedly but not actually made in South Africa";
sorry
: about that, my error. Wrong continent!
:
: terry
:
: I'm an old codger 90 yrs old. All my adult life I have
proclaimed that
: this country should should be a 'Made in USA' state in every
way it
: is possible. The people and country should come first and the
rest of
: the world afterwards. How ever our politicians, in order to
gain
: votes, have changed things around over the years. NOW, we are
reaping
: their greedy mistakes.. The grass root people of this country
need to
: rise up in masse and take control and put this land back on the
: original track that was set forth in 1776 by our fore fathers..
Having
: foregn trade is good only to a point. Beyond that it serves no
good to
: this land. I say let America become Americaiized again.
: Jack
:

America industry can't compete with most foreign products where the
workers and companies don't have to pay income tax, social security or
medical care premiums. Then there are those so called "made in
America cars" that are assembled by Japanese robots with one union man
watching, using parts shipped in containers from Japan. Again no
significant taxes, there is no way can an American factory compete.
Ship a car from the US to those countries and they immediatly impose
their value added tax making our goods even more expensive. They
don't apply their tax on goods they export.

When I suggest that we impose a similar tax the arguement I get is
that "it will hurt the poor people too much". I dislike the idea of
such a tax because it opens the door for the politicans to easily
increase taxes.- Hide quoted text -

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Smiling a bit! Cos there is always more than one side to a discussion.

Because what was originally intended to be helpful hint to the group
about battery terminals, with my side comment about manufacturing
standards turned into a discussion about US industry/manufactruring.

I'm in Canada!

Which exports a great deal of its raw materials and some manufactured
goods to the USA. For raw materials there tends to be a world price
for a barrel of oil, or a ton of iron ore. And since Canadian
resources, including water, electric power, oil, minerals (nickel,
copper, iron, uranium etc.), lumber etc. are in world wide demand
doesn't seem to be too much of a problem?

By the same token Canada imports items from (or sometimes through) the
USA. Yesterday for example the potatos at s.market were from the USA,
as were other vegetables and food goods. After all it's only mid June
up here, so summer has barely started! :-)

But all too often Canadian semi finished and raw products (such as
lumber) are faced with US 'Import tariffs', "To protect US industry".
These often increase costs to the US consumer. One estimate was that
lumber tariffs increase the cost of a typical US home by $2000 to
$3000? Canadian lumber costs more, so US lumber can cost more? But now
the Chinese are 'looking for' lumber; so tariffs unlikely there!

Some (perhaps many) Canadians would like to see NAFTA done away with.
It's far too easy for some group in the US to lobby Congress to impose
tariffs, sometimes imposed contrary to the NAFTA treaty. In other
words what good is any treaty if not followed?

Canadian labour costs are high. As are also taxes due to various
social programmes and need to operate a larger country with a
population one tenth that of the USA . Together with a generally
harder climate, and greater distances due to size of the country,
Canada is not a cheap place to do business or live! But it competes;
partly because of the demand for natural resources and also its
manufacturing sector.

Canadian auto plants, for example, have high productivities and good
quality. Also when considered as a source of materials; oil/petroleum
etc. Canada is a well orgainsed and very politically stable country.

Yesterday one big news item was that the Chinese were at a big western
Canada conference announcing and actively looking for oil-deals to
feed their booming economy. Canada buys a lot of consumer stuff from
China too! India at the moment is not too far behind. And OPEC which
includes a lot of Middle Easter Countries, some of whcih are not very
politically stable or efficiently run, get our money for the oil we
buy. So it's a world economy.

The whole 'world order' will gradually change. In Canada for example
too much dependence on extraction of non-renewable natural resources
may stifle innovation! The next 50 years will be interesting!