Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default partition walls: how plumb should they be?

Hello,

How anal do I need to be when making a partition wall and using a
spirit level?

I stripped some plasterboard off an existing wall, but notice that
when I put a spirit level against the studs, the bubble is within the
centre but touching the line on one side. (I have turned the level
around to check it is not the level).

I tried to google what the lines on the spirit level mean, and I can't
find a definite answer, but one that sounded right is that you should
slope gutters with the bubble touching one line to give the correct
fall. I think it said this was 2% but for a 2.4m high wall, that would
mean the bottom would be almost 5cm out from the top!

I don't think I noticed the wall being that angled before but may be
the plaster hid some of it? I am hoping to tile the wall, so I am
concerned any deviation from true might be more apparent when the wall
is covered in tiles.

Does the bubble have to be absolutely dead centre or am I trying to
hard. What are the accepted tolerances?

Thanks,
Stephen.