Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Karcher K4.99 low power.

Hi all,

I was just having a tidy up in the shed and found a Karcher K4.99 that
I think I was asked to look at with/for daughters ex.

I've just powered it all up and it runs and stops on the trigger
(doesn't pulse) it's just that it doesn't have any 'ooomph'.

Now, Googling about has suggested it's just the rubber seals in the
cylinder head but the only way to buy them is to buy a complete head
(~12 quid on eBay, no problem) but has anyone found a way to just get
the washers / seals for when it happens again please (assuming it's a
weak point)?

Is that typically the fault or can there be other reasons (assuming no
leaks etc)?

How long should it last once fixed (e.g. is it worth doing in the
first place)?

I'm probably only doing it for daughters ex (who ewe all still get on
fine with) and to clear some room in the shed as I already have a
little Kew Hobby and daughter has the Nilfisk E145 ... and I'm sure he
could make use of it himself and I believe was given to him by his
grandpa (so has sentimental connections).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2016 18:55, T i m wrote:
Hi all,

I was just having a tidy up in the shed and found a Karcher K4.99 that
I think I was asked to look at with/for daughters ex.

I've just powered it all up and it runs and stops on the trigger
(doesn't pulse) it's just that it doesn't have any 'ooomph'.

Now, Googling about has suggested it's just the rubber seals in the
cylinder head but the only way to buy them is to buy a complete head
(~12 quid on eBay, no problem) but has anyone found a way to just get
the washers / seals for when it happens again please (assuming it's a
weak point)?

Is that typically the fault or can there be other reasons (assuming no
leaks etc)?

First things to check are the nozzle - is it fully in high pressure mode
or badly worn & then the inlet filter - could be restricting inlet water.

--
Dave - The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 23:35:49 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

snip

Is that typically the fault or can there be other reasons (assuming no
leaks etc)?

First things to check are the nozzle - is it fully in high pressure mode
or badly worn

From my quick play it looked like the nozzle I tried (of the two)
wasn't adjustable in any externally obvious way? I am familiar with
those that are (swivel / push - pull) but these seemed to be fixed
(and maybe why there are two ... jet / fan)? I will look at them again
though.

& then the inlet filter - could be restricting inlet water.

Again, I did look briefly but will check again closer. ;-)

FWIW you could just about get it to move some algae on the concrete
(more so than a plain hose) but it definitely had no 'kick' at all.

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , T i m
writes
On Mon, 29 Aug 2016 23:35:49 +0100, David Lang
wrote:

snip

Is that typically the fault or can there be other reasons (assuming no
leaks etc)?

First things to check are the nozzle - is it fully in high pressure mode
or badly worn

From my quick play it looked like the nozzle I tried (of the two)
wasn't adjustable in any externally obvious way? I am familiar with
those that are (swivel / push - pull) but these seemed to be fixed
(and maybe why there are two ... jet / fan)? I will look at them again
though.

Of the nozzles which came with my 4.99 one is fixed, the high force one
which should rotate the jet (but now quite often sticks) and the other
is variable by rotating the stem. Either one could give symptoms of low
pressure. What happens if you run it with no nozzle attached to the
handle?
& then the inlet filter - could be restricting inlet water.

Again, I did look briefly but will check again closer. ;-)

FWIW you could just about get it to move some algae on the concrete
(more so than a plain hose) but it definitely had no 'kick' at all.

Cheers, T i m

--
bert