Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Riverside Cottage 7

OK so all the plumbing apart from some microbore buried in the walls is
stripped out. Radiators in fair order stacked on a pallet ready for
scrap or?

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?
Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits. A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

Does anyone have a use for a 22 year old, little used, gas fired Rayburn
Royal cooker? (not CH)
--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2016 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

This reminds me of an ad in our local rag:

"Half a ton of rubble. Would make good hardcore. Buyer to collect."

People don't pay to place these ads, so they are often a tad
over-optimistic.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:29:59 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2016 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

This reminds me of an ad in our local rag:

"Half a ton of rubble. Would make good hardcore. Buyer to collect."

People don't pay to place these ads, so they are often a tad
over-optimistic.

People will often take such stuff away.
I have never failed.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 29/08/2016 18:53, harry wrote:
On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:29:59 UTC+1, GB wrote:
On 29/08/2016 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

This reminds me of an ad in our local rag:

"Half a ton of rubble. Would make good hardcore. Buyer to collect."

People don't pay to place these ads, so they are often a tad
over-optimistic.

People will often take such stuff away.
I have never failed.

I suppose that it beats paying for it.

Anyway, what do you do with unreusable glassfibre insulation?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/16 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so all the plumbing apart from some microbore buried in the walls is
stripped out. Radiators in fair order stacked on a pallet ready for
scrap or?

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

Dump.
No one wants mouse crap and dust filled compacted glass wool.

What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?

Non issue if a wanring sign is affixed to the consumer unit.

Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits.

A black Sharpie pen works super well on T+E cable.

A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

Does anyone have a use for a 22 year old, little used, gas fired Rayburn
Royal cooker? (not CH)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/16 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so all the plumbing apart from some microbore buried in the walls is
stripped out. Radiators in fair order stacked on a pallet ready for
scrap or?

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

Bag it and bin it. More dangerous than radioactive waste.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

qsdgfqsfqsf
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:19:02 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?
Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits. A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

Nothing wrong with mixing colours - just put the appropriate warning notice at the CU that wiring colours are mixed, and use sleeving as appropriate (particularly on 2-way switch circuits).

Does anyone have a use for a 22 year old, little used, gas fired Rayburn
Royal cooker? (not CH)

Not personally, but sometimes they do seem to get good prices on ebay etc.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 29/08/2016 18:18, Tim Lamb wrote:
OK so all the plumbing apart from some microbore buried in the walls is
stripped out. Radiators in fair order stacked on a pallet ready for
scrap or?

Today's questions:-

What do people do with unwanted glass fibre insulation? Too
chimbled up to sensibly re-use.

Bag it up and lob it in a skip...

What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?

No problem generally. The installation ought to have a sticker near the
CU warning of mixed colours.

Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits. A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

It they are in good condition there is no reason to not reuse them if
they are in the right places.

Does anyone have a use for a 22 year old, little used, gas fired Rayburn
Royal cooker? (not CH)

Not personally.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

wrote in message
On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:19:02 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?
Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits. A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

Nothing wrong with mixing colours

I'll bet harry disagrees with that::-)

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 30/08/2016 18:18, ARW wrote:
wrote in message
On Monday, 29 August 2016 18:19:02 UTC+1, Tim Lamb wrote:
What was the consensus on mixing wire colours for alterations?
Most of the existing (red/black) runs over timbers which the builders
need to remove. I intend to isolate, coil back to the retained structure
and label the circuits. A full re-wire is probably best but the existing
might serve to pull in new stuff.

Nothing wrong with mixing colours

I'll bet harry disagrees with that::-)

I'm sure he'll think the primary colours are red, yellow and blue!