Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Digital caliper case

Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?
--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Pan drop? A photo would help.

Tim

--
Trolls and troll feeders go in my killfile
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 12:17, Tim+ wrote:
Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Pan drop? A photo would help.

?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/NNQAAOSw5IJWfO7Q/$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

My guess is it's nothing more than a moulding recess to give more
structure whilst at the same time creating a handy storage place for....
a screwdriver or cloth etc if required.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...per/in_box.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 12:17, Tim+ wrote:
Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Pan drop? A photo would help.

?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/NNQAAOSw5IJWfO7Q/$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

My guess is it's nothing more than a moulding recess to give more
structure whilst at the same time creating a handy storage place for....
a screwdriver or cloth etc if required.

Having seen that picture I'd agree. You *could* keep some pan drops in it
though. ;-)

Tim

--
Trolls AND TROLL FEEDERS all go in my kill file

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 13:53, Tim+ wrote:

Having seen that picture I'd agree. You *could* keep some pan drops in it
though. ;-)

Pan drops = Scottish version of Mint Imperials?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 13:53, Tim+ wrote:
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 12:17, Tim+ wrote:
Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Pan drop? A photo would help.

?
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/z/NNQAAOSw5IJWfO7Q/$_57.JPG?set_id=880000500F

My guess is it's nothing more than a moulding recess to give more
structure whilst at the same time creating a handy storage place for....
a screwdriver or cloth etc if required.

Having seen that picture I'd agree. You *could* keep some pan drops in it
though. ;-)

Tim

Nah. That's where the calibrating tape measure goes

--
€œBut what a weak barrier is truth when it stands in the way of an
hypothesis!€

Mary Wollstonecraft
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 12:47, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...per/in_box.jpg

As I said, the recess is elliptical, like this one:
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...0636705-23.jpg

Mine has a battery-shaped place for a spare battery. Those I've found
with a screwdriver have a recess that is screwdriver-shaped.

--
Peter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 2:26:41 PM UTC+1, Ramsman wrote:
On 25/08/16 12:47, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...per/in_box.jpg

As I said, the recess is elliptical, like this one:
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...0636705-23.jpg

Mine has a battery-shaped place for a spare battery. Those I've found
with a screwdriver have a recess that is screwdriver-shaped.

--
Peter

My understanding is that the batteries expire with age so I neverthought keeping a spare battery sensible.

The cheap digital calipers I've tried ate the batteries.Someone said they never turn off completely, just switch off the display. The battery in the Mitutoyo one lasts for ever, even when it's often left switched on.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred wrote:
[...]

My experience is that the display loses all it's contrast. The
batteries are not a problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25-Aug-16 2:26 PM, Ramsman wrote:
On 25/08/16 12:47, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...per/in_box.jpg

As I said, the recess is elliptical, like this one:
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...0636705-23.jpg

In that case, I would think that the purpose of the elliptical recess
and the recesses along the hinge edge is to add rigidity to the vacuum
formed plastic.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Aug 2016 19:04:00 +0100, pamela wrote:

On 14:26 25 Aug 2016, Ramsman wrote:

On 25/08/16 12:47, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:
Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this
is empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...gital_caliper/
in_box.jpg

As I said, the recess is elliptical, like this one:
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...s/0636705-23.j pg

Mine has a battery-shaped place for a spare battery. Those I've found
with a screwdriver have a recess that is screwdriver-shaped.

That shape would be good for tweezers.

Reading this thread motivated me to check my own Workzone digital
caliper bought in Aldididle in a moment of weakness about 5 or 6 years
ago (maybe even further back than that).

This, of course is kept in a nice wooden hinged lid case with foam
padding that I noticed, also happened to have an AG13 cell sized recess
after discovering the 'battery' had gone flat (no display whatsoever when
turning it on) motivating me to remove the dead cell to save the cell
holder from further corrosion due to yet another leaking AG13 cell.

This time, the cell hadn't leaked and was showing 0.9v on O/C test. The
hint of green on the cell contacts just seemed to be what was left over
the last time I had cleaned the contacts up. I went to my stock of
alkaline button cells and fitted a new one (1.55v on O/C test) and took a
second cell off the card (1.57v O/C test) to park it in the AG13 cell
sized recess.

I thought it might as well serve out its shelf life there as on the card
of cells. At least I can compare its state to see whether the standby
current in the off state is an issue or not and, besides, if it is, I've
already got my spare cell to hand and I'll know not to leave the cell in
the digital caliper for any length of time between 'jobs'.

It may be in a fancy lah-de-dah wooden carrying case but I've no
allusions that it's any better than the ones being sold today with cheap
plastic carrying cases. It's just "Nicely Packaged" is all. :-)

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 5:37:54 PM UTC+1, Capitol wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

I.M.E. replacing the batteries broght them back to life but I found them (I had 2 at one time) a P.I.T.A. as they always seemed to be dead when I wanted them
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 17:37, Capitol wrote:
fred wrote:
[...]

My experience is they get through batts fairly quick - the only loss of
contrast I have seen is on low battery. As others have said turning then
"off" only blanks the display - they still run all the time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Here's one with a screwdriver in the oval slot: (URL too long to send as
one)

http://g02.a.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1gJElK...8inch-0-200mm-
Electronic-Caliper-Digital-Vernier-Caliper-qstexpress-digital-caliper-
micrometro-electronic-digital-caliper.jpg

--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

So chop the **** out of it