Posted to uk.d-i-y
Capitol Capitol is offline

Default Digital caliper case

fred wrote:
On Thursday, August 25, 2016 at 2:26:41 PM UTC+1, Ramsman wrote:

On 25/08/16 12:47, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

On 25/08/2016 11:49, Ramsman wrote:

Many digital caliper cases have an elliptical recess at the bottom
right. In all the pictures I've seen, bar one, and my own case, this is
empty. The only non=empty one has a small screwdriver in it, which
doesn't appear to be the right item.

What's it for?

Somewhere to keep spare batteries?
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_lathe...per/in_box.jpg

As I said, the recess is elliptical, like this one:
http://cdn.mscdirect.com/global/imag...0636705-23.jpg

Mine has a battery-shaped place for a spare battery. Those I've found
with a screwdriver have a recess that is screwdriver-shaped.

--
Peter

My understanding is that the batteries expire with age so I neverthought keeping a spare battery sensible.

The cheap digital calipers I've tried ate the batteries.Someone said they never turn off completely, just switch off the display. The battery in the Mitutoyo one lasts for ever, even when it's often left switched on.

My experience is that the display loses all it's contrast. The
batteries are not a problem.