Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Good news for TNP - Things not looking good for Hinkley

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7207776.html

You'll be glad of the solar panels. ;-)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I still think when they replace Trident they should repurpose the old
reactors for power generation.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Wed, 24 Aug 2016 10:51:29 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7207776.html

You'll be glad of the solar panels. ;-)

Especially on cold winter evenings, eh Harry? I suppose those panels
on your roof do add just a little bit of extra insulation to keep out
the cold.

But even if EDF and the Chinese don't get the go-ahead, a nuke or two
will eventually be built at Hinkley, probably by Hitachi. The
government plans a total of 19GW of new nukes across the UK over the
next decade or so, and there are several contenders: Areva/EDF's EPR
(as Hinkley), Westinghouse's AP1000, GE-Hitachi Nuclear Energy's
ESBWR, AECL's ACR-1000 (Canadian Candu) and the Chinese HPR-1000.

--

Chris

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 09:55, Brian Gaff wrote:
I still think when they replace Trident they should repurpose the old
reactors for power generation.
Brian

Aren't they sealed for life and hence at the end of their life, which is
why the subs need replacing?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7207776.html

You'll be glad of the solar panels. ;-)

ISTM that there are two problems with this Nuke

1) the price that we have agreed being too high and the risk it might not
work (they are, of course, related)

2) The Chinese involvement.

I don't see a problem with saying that "on reflection we think that the
price that we have agreed to, because of the compensation for the risk that
it might not work, is not something that we are prepared to pay"

And we just need to be nice to the Chinese and find them a less risky Nuke
to invest in

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/16 15:15, tim... wrote:

"harry" wrote in message
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7207776.html

You'll be glad of the solar panels. ;-)

ISTM that there are two problems with this Nuke

1) the price that we have agreed being too high and the risk it might
not work (they are, of course, related)

Oh it will work. Its just expensive. All it takes to get a nuke top work
is fuel rods in close proximity...

2) The Chinese involvement.

Yup.

Theresa seems to be a bit 'waycist'

I don't see a problem with saying that "on reflection we think that the
price that we have agreed to, because of the compensation for the risk
that it might not work, is not something that we are prepared to pay"

And we just need to be nice to the Chinese and find them a less risky
Nuke to invest in

tim

"Saki"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I still think when they replace Trident they should repurpose the old
reactors for power generation.

Not practical and they don’t generate anything like enough power.