Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Corn type LED lamps

Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:55:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..

I've got a huge one in my living room (150W equivalent I think). It's got LEDs round the sides and the end. It's mounted vertically (pendant fitting way up), and lights the room as well as a CFL stick or an incandescent.

I much prefer them to CREE ones with a smaller number of very hot LEDs that don't last very long. But my favourite are striplight LEDs (look just like flourescent tubes till you turn them on then the light is much nicer (no flicker)).

--
A high IQ is like a Jeep. You still get stuck, just further from help.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 16:55:03 +0100, Harry Bloomfield wrote:

Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..

I don't know about these "Corn" type LED lamps of which you speak,
unless you're referring to the "Corn Cob" type LED lamp. Assuming this is
the type you mean, then yes, imo! They'd be better suited, especially if
the luminary orients the lamp in the "Cap Down Burning" position to avoid
overheating the electronics in the base[1] due to the very poor
ventilation characteristics most such outside luminaries are cursed with
in the interests of keeping them reasonably proofed against rain ingress
(the tiny breather holes, designed to prevent build up of damp and
exclude most insects larger than an Earwig, don't really count as
ventilation holes for the purposes of keeping the lamp cooled).

[1] For lamps rated less than 20W, such "electronics" may be nothing more
than a "capacitive dropper" rather than a built in sophisticated constant
current driver module. If a suitably high temperature capacitor is used,
they may be able to tolerate much higher temperatures than a
"transistorised" switching regulator module could ever hope to cope with.

--
Johnny B Good
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 22 August 2016 16:55:09 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..

Have a look at this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJNsK4BNSDs
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Johnny B Good wrote:

I don't know about these "Corn" type LED lamps of which you speak,
unless you're referring to the "Corn Cob" type LED lamp.

First came LED corn cob lamps, e.g.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_45375_1.jpg

Then lamps built around COB (chip on board) LEDs where the bare modules
come in various shapes and sizes, but typically submerged in yellow
phosphor e.g.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_373438_1.jpg

Now there are corn-cob style lamps using COB LEDs!

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_239373_1.jpg

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2016 16:55, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..

I like the filament type LEDs for their omnidirectional output. They
look nicer than cob type, but they are normally only available in 60W
equivalence power ratings.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Aug 2016 18:26:40 +0100, Andy Burns wrote:

Johnny B Good wrote:

I don't know about these "Corn" type LED lamps of which you speak,
unless you're referring to the "Corn Cob" type LED lamp.

First came LED corn cob lamps, e.g.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_45375_1.jpg

Then lamps built around COB (chip on board) LEDs where the bare modules
come in various shapes and sizes, but typically submerged in yellow
phosphor e.g.

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_373438_1.jpg

Now there are corn-cob style lamps using COB LEDs!

http://img.dxcdn.com/productimages/sku_239373_1.jpg

IMO it's best to avoid "corn cob"; yes, "corn" is because the lamp/LEDs look
a bit like corn-on-the-cob, fair enough, but, although some corn are COB
most are SMDs.
I've some v. good COB lamps, with the LEDs on v. translucent ceramic blades
and they give good dispersion and stay cool.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Would I be correct in suggesting that corn type LED lamps are best
suited to situations where the light required is at right angles to the
axis of the light please? As in a outside lantern type of fitting..

Corn cob LEDs are often a way of using many very cheap and inefficient low
powered LEDs, rather than properly.

--
*Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 23 August 2016 10:57:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

Corn cob LEDs are often a way of using many very cheap and inefficient low
powered LEDs, rather than properly.

Some use sm LEDs and unisolated PSUs, meaning touching them when powered may cause a nasty shock. All part of the fun of buying from China.

NT

what is corn bulb Mike Tomlinson UK diy 0 April 3rd 13 01:56 PM
cracked corn [email protected] Home Repair 0 April 29th 08 10:30 AM
Corn cobs John Woodturning 7 February 9th 06 02:32 AM
O.T. Making clear lamps into amber lamps NokNokMan Metalworking 14 October 12th 05 05:46 PM
Corn Furnace Eric J. Comeau Metalworking 20 February 28th 05 03:17 AM