Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Where to put a new master phone socket

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
charles explained :
all the cabling before the master socket (and the socket itself) are the
property of BT. You (or your builders) are not allowed to alter them.

That is the official situation, but in practise and so long as a decent
job is made of it - the engineers will not care at all.

We have an overhead line, which used to run down the outside wall and
was constantly coming adrift from the wall, numerous noisy connections.
On there last many years ago, I offered to help them get the cable
straight into the loft and a master socket just inside the loft - to
avoid the untidy run being down our outside wall. He was more than
happy to accomodate me doing that if I did the work inside.

I then ran everything else, router + 10 sockets inside and hidden from
view. That was long before wireless phones came on the market and most
of my sockets are now redundant. There have been no issues since then,
apart from on the exchange line. I didn't mention I used to work for
the GPO on telecomms, back in the Strowager days.

didn't you have your PO No 2 screwdriver in your pocket?

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/20/2016 9:18 PM, bert wrote:
In article , rick
writes
On 8/20/2016 9:18 AM, Andy Burns wrote:

BT prefer to terminate direct onto master socket, and as long as this
is within a metre or so of point of entry they will do that.
Further than that they will charge.

When I went over to FTTC OR engineer moved my master socket to the other

Perhaps they have relaxed rules - but used to be it had to be as near to
point of entry as possible - they didn't want to be responsible for
cable within premise.
Easy to have a point of entry demarc location everything downstream is
them not their problem.
I built ducting into my foundations and a BT duct comes up inside my
comms cupboard ..... so not an issue for me.
Other than fact have had comments for not using their master sockets,
use my own purchased ones with built in filter and split out data &
voice connections, so don't have to use front panel or BT filter - for
easier connection.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/08/2016 11:25, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I didn't mention I used to work for the GPO on telecomms, back in the
Strowager days.

Is Strowager any relation of Strowger, who designed the
electromechanical exchange switches? :P

Andy

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 20 August 2016 08:47:53 UTC+1, Bert Coules wrote:

Where to put a new master phone socket

I saw one once installed behind the bowl of a toilet. I bet that got **** poor bandwidth.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 9:05 AM, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 20/08/16 08:59, Bert Coules wrote:
"charles" wrote:

All the cabling before the master socket (and the socket itself) are the
property of BT. You (or your builders) are not allowed to alter them.

Interesting, thanks.

However in practice Openreach dont give a ****.

I will second that. Having a faulty line for over a year, I eventually
got Tiscali to send an engineer. I was very concerned that my none BT
box and very clean wiring, routed back to the junction point, was noticed.

I showed the engineer some captures of the constant internet (only)
signal drops. He looked at the box and line. He took the cover off the
box. He said, 'nothing wrong in here. He did the same for the junction
box. He then said he is having 30 minutes dinner and then will inspect
the street cabinet.

He later explained a cable had become stretched, that he has eased
pressure on it but, it may happen again. (?)

Some months later, It did. I cannot remember and the same guy phoned
me and said he is getting on with putting a new piece of wire in the
cabinet. He did; job done, no problems since.

You take your chances with who visits you.

....Ray.

I took my overhead into the new build loft, and connected it to some cat
5 and ran it down to a master socket where I wanted iot. Ehen I had
issues with the line, the Openreach engineer said 'it checks out OK -
the fault is in the road, but I've put a proper BT junction box in the
loft for you :-)

I wonder then why the master socket wasn't placed
by BT where the builders are suggesting putting it now. Is it usual for
the incoming cable not to run directly to a master socket but to
terminate in a junction box just inside the property and then run on
from there? Doesn't that junction in the cable affect the quality or
performance of the line?

Not so as you would notice, no.

Corroded joints are the problem, or huge runs on cable that isn't some
semblance of twisted pair.

Good joints are unnoticeable up to the sorts of frequencies that ADSL
runs at (2MHz) and are totally unnoticeable for actual audio.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 10:26 AM, Andy Burns wrote:
Clive Page wrote:

Does anyone know whether OpenReach are willing to
install a new master socket in a new location if one upgrades to FTTC
without charging an arm and a leg?

Depends on which "package" the ISP orders from openreach, there used to
be two options,

leave the master where it is, just replace the faceplate.

move the master socket up to (30 feet?) from present location and make
the old master into an extension.

There is now a "wires only" install where the engineer just visits the
street cabinet and never touches anything inside your house.

Presumably the 2nd option still exists, and you'd need to ask your ISP
to order that, if not then DIY.

Which, as TNP hinted, is where the cup of tea and bun come into play. :-)

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

My Virgin one has two joins, one in a box on the wall outside and one on my
window sill inside the house, then the master socket is on the skirting
board. The guy who came to fis it a few weeks back said he was glad it had a
box not a master socket as it made changing the offending bit, between the
box and the outside box a lot easier.
The original instalation had rather perversely been put under my stainless
steel step plate in the porch and over time the flexing had basically
chaffed away the insulation.
The new wire runs above the door.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
or what I say, you don't have to
"charles" wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

The guy who came to fix it a few weeks back said he was glad it had a box
not a master socket as it made changing the offending bit, between the box
and the outside box a lot easier.

Brian, that's very interesting, thank you. I'll put that point to the
builder's electrician.

Bert