Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Editing a PDF file.

I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

--
*Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 18 Aug 2016 15:32:10 +0100, newshound
wrote:

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.

He said 'free'. ;-)

I wonder if Libre / Open Office Writer could do the same though?

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.

He said 'free'. ;-)

I wonder if Libre / Open Office Writer could do the same though?

Cheers, T i m

Looks like the answer is 'yes'.
Just tried opening a pdf that Libre-office created, and it's happy to
edit it...
....in a slight odd fashion - where every line is a text block - but it
can edit it.
Adrian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.

He said 'free'. ;-)

True, but lots of people have Word/Office or access to it, but
might not realise this, so worth mentioning

Chris French

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris French" wrote in message
news
wrote:

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with
it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.

He said 'free'. ;-)

True, but lots of people have Word/Office or access to it, but
might not realise this, so worth mentioning

Chris French

Acrobat 8 Professional (2006, for XP) can be downloaded free from various
sites.
This link gives some suggestions for installation on Windows later versions:
http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/download/...al-80-3328874/
--
Dave W

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

If you are only wanting to do a single file then download the Adobe
evaluation copy and be sure to finish inside the 30 day period.
I wouldn't call it easy to use though... YMMV

Failing that I found one free PDF editor that actually worked (but only
after I had shelled out $100 for one that didn't). I don't have access
to the machine with them on ATM but will look next time I get chance.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 17:46:10 UTC+1, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Looks like the answer is 'yes'.
Just tried opening a pdf that Libre-office created, and it's happy to
edit it...

LibreOffice supports 'editable PDF' which you might be using without realising. This is obviously intended to support editing.

Files created in other applications may be a lot less structured.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Adrian Brentnall wrote:

Just tried opening a pdf that Libre-office created, and it's happy to
edit it...
...in a slight odd fashion - where every line is a text block - but it
can edit it.

Unless it's changed recently, openoffice edits PDFs within its drawing
app, not its workprocessing app. But mainly PDFs edit awkwardly because
they're designed to be an output format (i.e. for viewing/printing) not
an editable format.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Martin Brown wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

If you are only wanting to do a single file then download the Adobe
evaluation copy and be sure to finish inside the 30 day period.
I wouldn't call it easy to use though... YMMV

Tends to be what I've found with Adobe products. ;-)

Failing that I found one free PDF editor that actually worked (but only
after I had shelled out $100 for one that didn't). I don't have access
to the machine with them on ATM but will look next time I get chance.

Thanks. I can quite easily add a page with an index - but would like the
clickable links.

Regards,
Martin Brown

--
*Warning: Dates in Calendar are closer than they appear.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Probably not much help, but you can create bookmarks and notes within a
pdf document (effectively annotated hyperlinks) in Mac OS's Preview app
- the native pdf viewer. Then view the list in a sidebar.

Other than that clunky method (which may well be doable in other free
programmes - the Mac Adobe Reader can do something similar)), I don't
think there's any easy way to do what you want. Maybe try your OS's
native pdf reader, or (spit) Adobe's own?

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Yes we blind have major issues with pdf as if the reading order is not
tagged the reading order can ignore columns and read right across all of
them in a line and all sorts of other messed up formatting.
The original idea of pdf was to stop people fiddling with the file so there
are many protected files out there that nothing seems able to interact with
once they are created.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
wrote in message
On Thursday, 18 August 2016 17:46:10 UTC+1, Adrian Brentnall wrote:
Looks like the answer is 'yes'.
Just tried opening a pdf that Libre-office created, and it's happy to
edit it...

LibreOffice supports 'editable PDF' which you might be using without
realising. This is obviously intended to support editing.

Files created in other applications may be a lot less structured.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 8/18/2016 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

More recent versions of Word will import a PDF. I've never done an Index
in Word, but it is pretty capable if you need to create a list of
references with cross references.

He said 'free'. ;-)

True, but lots of people have Word/Office or access to it, but
might not realise this, so worth mentioning

And you can have a month's free trial of office 365

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/16 08:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
The original idea of pdf was to stop people fiddling with the file so there
are many protected files out there that nothing seems able to interact with
once they are created.
Brian

The original idea was an unambiguous page description. So that it would
look the same on any device. Including paper.

reversal of the creation process was not part of the specification.

its shoes.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/16 09:32, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 19/08/16 08:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
The original idea of pdf was to stop people fiddling with the file so
there
are many protected files out there that nothing seems able to
interact with
once they are created.

The original idea was an unambiguous page description. So that it
would look the same on any device. Including paper.

reversal of the creation process was not part of the specification.

ISTM that the PDF creator is entirely free to replace the text with
images containing the rendered text. Which would then be completely
uneditable.

The specification called for embedded images, and they are just images.

That's when OCR gets handy.

Lucas Bergkamp
Posted to uk.d-i-y

RJH wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Probably not much help, but you can create bookmarks and notes within a
pdf document (effectively annotated hyperlinks) in Mac OS's Preview app
- the native pdf viewer. Then view the list in a sidebar.

Other than that clunky method (which may well be doable in other free
programmes - the Mac Adobe Reader can do something similar)), I don't
think there's any easy way to do what you want. Maybe try your OS's
native pdf reader, or (spit) Adobe's own?

Wouldn't the best thing be to copy from PDF to some format which does
make editing and indexing fairly easy?

If it was me I'd go for some sort of simple mark-up language with
links (e.g. reStructuredText) but if you want a more GUI approach then
even HTML (behind some sort of front end) might make sense.

I try and keep things like this in a Wiki (in my case Dokuwiki).

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 18-Aug-16 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Creating an index that is meaningful is hard. You have to flag up all
the items you want indexed in some way. If there are headings and
sub-headings, you could do it that way. Otherwise, it's a major manual job.

Word lets you build a table of contents based on headings and
sub-headings, ie you just "press a button" and it does the work.
However, that depends on the headings being marked as such within the
word document, which in turn requires a very sophisticated conversion
programme to import the doc from pdf.

I think a concordance simply indexes every word in the document. I've
never used one, but I doubt it's what you want.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2016 11:25, Chris Green wrote:
RJH wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Probably not much help, but you can create bookmarks and notes within a
pdf document (effectively annotated hyperlinks) in Mac OS's Preview app
- the native pdf viewer. Then view the list in a sidebar.

Other than that clunky method (which may well be doable in other free
programmes - the Mac Adobe Reader can do something similar)), I don't
think there's any easy way to do what you want. Maybe try your OS's
native pdf reader, or (spit) Adobe's own?

Wouldn't the best thing be to copy from PDF to some format which does
make editing and indexing fairly easy?

The problem IME has been that the export makes a right horlicks of the
original. If the OP's pdfs are anything like the ones I have, they're
non-editable, text can't be selected and the pages are watermarked.

I use the bookmark/notes device in workshop manuals I've downloaded -
but for that to work it would depend on the OS/software the OS has
access to, adn whether such a clumsy/basic system is of use.

If it was me I'd go for some sort of simple mark-up language with
links (e.g. reStructuredText) but if you want a more GUI approach then
even HTML (behind some sort of front end) might make sense.

It would, if the text/graphics could be exported. Which I doubt.

I try and keep things like this in a Wiki (in my case Dokuwiki).

Good thinking! I'll take a look.

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

On 19/08/16 08:38, Brian Gaff wrote:
The original idea of pdf was to stop people fiddling with the file so there
are many protected files out there that nothing seems able to interact with
once they are created.

The original idea was an unambiguous page description. So that it would
look the same on any device. Including paper.

reversal of the creation process was not part of the specification.

ISTM that the PDF creator is entirely free to replace the text with
images containing the rendered text. Which would then be completely
uneditable.

I've remade the factory wiring diagrams for the old SD1 - mainly to use
the correct colours for the wires, rather than a code in B&W, as in the
manual. Making them very much easier to use. I used my favourite CAD prog
for this on the old Acorn machine. It will also covert its own files to
industry standard ones and PDF. The latter I send them out in to anyone
who wants a copy. And being vector? based, can be enlarged to any size
without loss of quality. Obviously, any text is an Acorn font. And when
viewed on a PC, a different font is used. Yet some PDFs I've seen use
vectors for fonts too - so can reproduce them exactly, but make near
impossible to edit that text. And I've also seen some PDFs that must have
started out as a JPEG - perhaps a scan - or whatever. As they go all
fuzzy when enlarged.

--
*Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
GB wrote:
On 18-Aug-16 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Creating an index that is meaningful is hard. You have to flag up all
the items you want indexed in some way. If there are headings and
sub-headings, you could do it that way. Otherwise, it's a major manual
job.

Looking at just one of the files, there are perhaps 40 'chapters' that I'd
index. I'd have to scroll through and type them out in order (or
copy/paste) so still quite a bit of manual work. A job for a winter
evening. ;-)

Word lets you build a table of contents based on headings and
sub-headings, ie you just "press a button" and it does the work.
However, that depends on the headings being marked as such within the
word document, which in turn requires a very sophisticated conversion
programme to import the doc from pdf.

I'd rather not use Word. Beauty of PDF is pretty well all formats can read
it. Word sometimes has problems with itself. ;-)

I think a concordance simply indexes every word in the document. I've
never used one, but I doubt it's what you want.

I've got lots of PDFs which do exactly what I'd like this one to do. On my
most used ones, the index is to the side of the main PDF viewer, and
clicking on any takes you straight to the required part. But I'm not sure
if this can be done to an existing PDF by editing - or is part of creating
the original.

--
*Thank you. We're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

viewed on a PC, a different font is used. Yet some PDFs I've seen use
vectors for fonts too - so can reproduce them exactly, but make near
impossible to edit that text. And I've also seen some PDFs that must have
started out as a JPEG - perhaps a scan - or whatever. As they go all
fuzzy when enlarged.

Quite a few scanners implementation of scan to PDF produces JPEGs
embedded in a PDF outer envelope. If you want to enlarge them to enhance
text legibility image by image then something along the lines of double
or triple the linear resolution followed by unsharp mask and tweak with
histogram adjustment until the font looks best.

Sometimes the result will go through OCR and come out with low error
rates even when the original is low resolution ancient scanner output.
It all depends how much muck and rubbish was on the original pre scan.

Incidentally anyone recommend a free reliable OCR package these days?
I have one that came bundled with a scanner but it isn't free and there
is no doubt a better newer version by now.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19-Aug-16 1:15 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
GB wrote:
[...]

I'd re-export to pdf from word, after word has built the index from the
headings.

I think a concordance simply indexes every word in the document. I've
never used one, but I doubt it's what you want.

I've got lots of PDFs which do exactly what I'd like this one to do. On my
most used ones, the index is to the side of the main PDF viewer, and
clicking on any takes you straight to the required part. But I'm not sure
if this can be done to an existing PDF by editing - or is part of creating
the original.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 19-Aug-16 5:28 PM, Tim Streater wrote:

GB wrote:

Word lets you build a table of contents based on headings and
sub-headings, ie you just "press a button" and it does the work.
However, that depends on the headings being marked as such within the
word document, which in turn requires a very sophisticated conversion
programme to import the doc from pdf.

I'd rather not use Word. Beauty of PDF is pretty well all formats can
read
it. Word sometimes has problems with itself. ;-)

I'd re-export to pdf from word, after word has built the index from
the headings.

Such automation won't be possible. It's only possible in the first
place if you use styles and indicate in the style that a heading needs
to be included in the ToC. That allows Word to generate the ToC from
the headings. And when you convert to PDF, all that information is
lost, the headings at best just become text like all the other text.

You are absolutely right. I just tested it. The TOC has clickable links
in, but as you say these get converted to plain text in the PDF - tried
two different converters. What a pain!

I still think that converting to Word would be a good way to automate
this process, if for no other reason than there's VBA available.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 19 August 2016 18:45:23 UTC+1, GB wrote:
Such automation won't be possible. It's only possible in the first
place if you use styles and indicate in the style that a heading needs
to be included in the ToC. That allows Word to generate the ToC from
the headings. And when you convert to PDF, all that information is
lost, the headings at best just become text like all the other text.

You are absolutely right. I just tested it. The TOC has clickable links
in, but as you say these get converted to plain text in the PDF - tried
two different converters. What a pain!

Apparently it works in OpenOffice, and if you then export from OO to PDF the links stay clickable.

https://forum.openoffice.org/en/foru...php?f=7&t=4466

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
GB wrote:
[...]

Export it back to a pdf afterwards?

Chris French
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 18 August 2016 15:20:34 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free.

IIRC Konqueror converts unprotected stuff nicely. User stupid stuff may need messing with regular expressions to deal with irritating line spacing. Converting it between text editors and word proceessors has been suggested on forums dealing with this.

Once you are in the word processor you only have to set up the links.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message ...

[...]

Depending on how many you need to do and whether confidentiality is a
concern, you could try online OCR. Some work quite well.
https://www.oxhow.com/free-online-oc...text/#comments

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2016 11:24, Richard wrote:
[...]

Interesting idea. Basically I am looking for something that will cope
with documents that have seen better days and are somewhat defaced.
Classic OCR ends up with too many random characters and dashes/slashes.

BTW the free PDF editor which worked for me was PDF-Xchange

http://pdf-xchange.eu/pdf-xchange-so...itor/index.htm

Like all these things watch out for installer options that mangle other
programs and override defaults but it worked for me. I forget entirely
the name of the other one which didn't (and uninstalled it in disgust).

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2016 1:02 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
wrote:

[...]

I loved my 3.5Ltr SD1. Kitted and finned, alloy wheels, post office
red. No pictures. I lost the only 2 :-(

....Ray.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I loved my 3.5Ltr SD1. Kitted and finned, alloy wheels, post office
red. No pictures. I lost the only 2 :-(

S2 models came in Targa or Monza red. Think all V8s had alloy wheels.

But the only colour for an SD1 is black. ;-)

--
*Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/08/2016 2:28 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
RayL12 wrote:
I loved my 3.5Ltr SD1. Kitted and finned, alloy wheels, post office
red. No pictures. I lost the only 2 :-(

S2 models came in Targa or Monza red. Think all V8s had alloy wheels.

But the only colour for an SD1 is black. ;-)

It was my choice of colour, Dave :-)

Alloys were downsized rims, 5 spoke Revolutions.

A shed underneath the paintwork, as was typical of this model but, bling
outside. I was in business at the time. 1992 I had the engine rebuilt,
other than the carbs. I had it race tuned to give me a good short burp.

In the end I split it and, scrapped it. No money to put into it.
Luckily, I had photos of the kit after it came out of 10 years, hung on
garage wall nails. Not a pretty sight.

However, photos were good enough to give me a shape to work with while
in my boredom, I got on with playing with Blender. I got an half decent
model and I play with it now and then. The idea to get it to sit in real
world. Dust and scratches aside, I have a lot to learn about what many
call 'real world'.

Capturing a ground shadow and applying it to the environment is messy.

The model is an empty shell. No furniture within. Camera lensing and
other dire mistakes are pure ignorance on my part.

So, here is the model in a 'studio' condition...
http://prntscr.com/caie0i

and, rendering the model into a picture of my brother's empty car spot...
http://prntscr.com/caiepy.

As an aside, for those who might want to use such a no nonsense place to
put a one-off picture, try Lightshot, I realised that LS has a simple
drag & drop page for a few image types that asks no questions and
delivers a link back.

Curious about longevity, I kept my eye on a random post I made 3rd
July and the picture is still there of a few seconds ago. 53 days? If
you are curious as to when the link will break...
http://prntscr.com/bnr8eo.

Or might it still be there based on clicks? I have looked 8 times over
the 53 days.

....Ray.