Posted to uk.d-i-y
Chris French Chris French is offline

Default Editing a PDF file.

"Dave Plowman (News)" Wrote in message:
In article ,
GB wrote:
On 18-Aug-16 3:20 PM, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I've obtained a copy of a manual in PDF format. There is no index with it.
What I'd like to do is create an index - and one where clicking on the
appropriate line takes you to that section in the file. Easy to use and
preferably free. ;-)

Creating an index that is meaningful is hard. You have to flag up all
the items you want indexed in some way. If there are headings and
sub-headings, you could do it that way. Otherwise, it's a major manual
job.

Looking at just one of the files, there are perhaps 40 'chapters' that I'd
index. I'd have to scroll through and type them out in order (or
copy/paste) so still quite a bit of manual work. A job for a winter
evening. ;-)

Word lets you build a table of contents based on headings and
sub-headings, ie you just "press a button" and it does the work.
However, that depends on the headings being marked as such within the
word document, which in turn requires a very sophisticated conversion
programme to import the doc from pdf.

I'd rather not use Word. Beauty of PDF is pretty well all formats can read
it. Word sometimes has problems with itself. ;-)

Export it back to a pdf afterwards?

Chris French