Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default leds rather than fluorescents

Workshp currently uses 5ft fluorescents and I would like more light. Would changing to leds be an advantage ?

What would be the cost implications

Or to cut a long story short what would be the most economic way to achieve higher light levels ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/2016 14:51, fred wrote:

Workshp currently uses 5ft fluorescents and I would like more light. Would changing to leds be an advantage ?

What would be the cost implications

Or to cut a long story short what would be the most economic way to achieve higher light levels ?

Not a direct comparison with your 5ft one but I've just replaced a 10
watt T4 fluorescent fitting with a 10 watt LED fitting
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10029 and noticed a distinct increase
in light level.

The T4 tube had been in use about 8 hours per day for 9 months and was
already becoming reluctant to start and noticeably dimmer than when new.
If memory serves me correctly I think the brightness of the new tube was
less than what I get from the LED fitting. I'm expecting that the LED
will give a longer life than the old T4 which needed new tubes every year.

--
Mike Clarke
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/08/16 15:55, Mike Clarke wrote:
On 18/08/2016 14:51, fred wrote:

Workshp currently uses 5ft fluorescents and I would like more light.
Would changing to leds be an advantage ?

What would be the cost implications

Or to cut a long story short what would be the most economic way to
achieve higher light levels ?

Not a direct comparison with your 5ft one but I've just replaced a 10
watt T4 fluorescent fitting with a 10 watt LED fitting
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p10029 and noticed a distinct increase
in light level.

The T4 tube had been in use about 8 hours per day for 9 months and was
already becoming reluctant to start and noticeably dimmer than when new.
If memory serves me correctly I think the brightness of the new tube was
less than what I get from the LED fitting. I'm expecting that the LED
will give a longer life than the old T4 which needed new tubes every year.

I will definitely say that the LED lamps that are replacing the 'energy
saving fluorescents' of similar power are much brighter and a much nicer
light.

Its not the same story for a proper indistrial long tube tho

windows of my apartment. (I live on the twenty-first floor.) "

Alan Sokal
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, August 18, 2016 at 2:51:36 PM UTC+1, fred wrote:
Workshp currently uses 5ft fluorescents and I would like more light. Would changing to leds be an advantage ?

What would be the cost implications

Or to cut a long story short what would be the most economic way to achieve higher light levels ?

I've replaced 5ft tubes with led equivalents. In my experience you don't get more light, but you do get an equivalent amount for 20-24W (instead of 60W).

The first LED tube I bought, from CPC, exploded after about 20 minutes. Maybe because my voltage was 260V at the time, but more likely cos the tube was defective. Replaced without quibble.

I've now gone for branded versions.

I'm playing around with square LED ceiling lights at the moment. Have a 48W (draws 54W acual) 2ft x 2ft from ebay (intended to replace a ceiling tile sized light in an office), which was only about £20 and is really very bright.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Its funny you know haw some tubes seemed to go on about the same for many
years, while others dimmed quite fast after about a year. I wonder if anyone
has ever worked out why this should be. I spoke to a chap who used to fit
and service large numbers of tubes in shops and he confirmed that this
always happened and that you needed to continuously replace some tubes but
not others.

Ion damage?
On LEDs they have come of age after I lost sight so I cannot comment, but I
think they just die rather than dim.
Brian

--
----- -
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please!
"Mike Clarke" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 18/08/2016 14:51, fred wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Its funny you know haw some tubes seemed to go on about the same for many
years, while others dimmed quite fast after about a year. I wonder if
anyone has ever worked out why this should be. I spoke to a chap who used
to fit and service large numbers of tubes in shops and he confirmed that
this always happened and that you needed to continuously replace some
tubes but not others.

Never had that with any of mine on the dimming.

Ion damage?

On LEDs they have come of age after I lost sight so I cannot comment, but
I think they just die rather than dim.

They mostly die.

On 18/08/2016 14:51, fred wrote:

[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2016 08:30, Brian Gaff wrote:

Its funny you know haw some tubes seemed to go on about the same for many
years, while others dimmed quite fast after about a year. I wonder if anyone
has ever worked out why this should be. I spoke to a chap who used to fit
and service large numbers of tubes in shops and he confirmed that this
always happened and that you needed to continuously replace some tubes but
not others.

Ion damage?

More likely a very slow leak in the tube or damage inflicted on the
filaments by a brutal starter if the same fittings misbehave every time.

On LEDs they have come of age after I lost sight so I cannot comment, but I
think they just die rather than dim.
Brian

I have had a couple of failures inside 3 years. One was a single point
failure in a LED string. The others were PSU capacitors cooked to death.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Brian Gaff wrote:
Its funny you know haw some tubes seemed to go on about the same for
many years, while others dimmed quite fast after about a year. I wonder
if anyone has ever worked out why this should be. I spoke to a chap who
used to fit and service large numbers of tubes in shops and he
confirmed that this always happened and that you needed to continuously
replace some tubes but not others.

Very much so. In my kitchen, the under cupboard lighting is a 6ft and 4ft
T8 tubes. Posh phosphors to match halogen. Driven by even posher dimmable
Orsram high frequency control gear. They get used several hours a day.
They are so old I can't remember exactly how many years. Probably about
15. It's quite possible the light output isn't as good as it was, but is
still more than adequate. They are to the side of the main window and
don't get much light from the patio doors, so tend to get more use than
the other lighting in the kitchen, which has quite dark coloured tiling.

--
*Ever stop to think and forget to start again?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.